How Can Christianity Justify Judgement?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Opinionated+Proud

How Can Christianity Justify Judgement?

Post #1

Post by Opinionated+Proud »

Isn't there claims that God accepts people for who they are? If this is so true then how can someone be rejected from society and religion for who they fall in love with, i.e homosexual marriage. How can someone be told that they are a bad person because they were raped and therefore "had sex before marriage", and will be a bad mother because they married and atheist and they believe in God, that they are going to ruin their childs life because they are choosing to allow their child to have the choice of whether she wants to be Christian or not?

What happened to not being judged?

russeller

Re: How Can Christianity Justify Judgement?

Post #2

Post by russeller »

Opinionated+Proud wrote:Isn't there claims that God accepts people for who they are? If this is so true then how can someone be rejected from society and religion for who they fall in love with, i.e homosexual marriage. How can someone be told that they are a bad person because they were raped and therefore "had sex before marriage", and will be a bad mother because they married and atheist and they believe in God, that they are going to ruin their childs life because they are choosing to allow their child to have the choice of whether she wants to be Christian or not?

By "accept" I assume you mean the concepts of heaven or eternal life? If so, God's standard of acceptance must be based on His standard of righteousness i.e., the Bible. This does not mean that there are not people who make ridiculous claims concerning an individuals "sinfulness," for example, those who claim a person has any control over their sexual activity when rape is involved. People like this should be avoided and their views ignored.

Ultimately, all people will be judged by God based upon the objective standard of the Word of God. As far as what is sin or not, that again is up to God and what He has already judged. Also, homosexuality, for example, is not only unnatural, it goes against basic biology by offering sexual gratification without that which continues the existence of humanity, namely procreation.

Finally, what is right and good cannot be the result of what an individual deems as right and good since there are billions of people on the planet. Truth must exist outside of us (objective) and must be for all people (universal) in order for it to be truth. For example, some believe that it is acceptable to kill certain people because they do not meet certain requirements. Is this right or wrong? If it is wrong, why is it wrong? Is it wrong for all people, or just because that is the way that I believe?

Truth must exist, the question is, will an individual follow truth or decide to go their own way. Is the person that rejects truth then accountable to the source of truth if they reject that truth, no matter what the reason? What will you do?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #3

Post by Clownboat »

Opinionated+Proud wrote:Isn't there claims that God accepts people for who they are? If this is so true then how can someone be rejected from society and religion for who they fall in love with, i.e homosexual marriage. How can someone be told that they are a bad person because they were raped and therefore "had sex before marriage", and will be a bad mother because they married and atheist and they believe in God, that they are going to ruin their childs life because they are choosing to allow their child to have the choice of whether she wants to be Christian or not?

People will judge you (for many reasons), that is for sure, but you don't have to believe that there is a god that will judge you after you die.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

russeller

Post #4

Post by russeller »

Clownboat wrote:

People will judge you (for many reasons), that is for sure, but you don't have to believe that there is a god that will judge you after you die.
You do not HAVE to believe anything. Unbelief, however, does not separate an individual from the consequences of unbelief. If I do not believe that gravity exists, and I then jump from the top of a tall building, my unbelief is unchanged, however, the consequences of my unbelief will soon be realized.

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by His Name Is John »

Opinionated+Proud wrote:Isn't there claims that God accepts people for who they are?
Sure there are claims, but they are fairly baseless and not in Christianity. God isn't blind to sin.
If this is so true then how can someone be rejected from society and religion for who they fall in love with, i.e homosexual marriage.

It isn't the feelings which are morally wrong, but acting on them. You can choose if you are going to become a sexually active homosexual or not.
How can someone be told that they are a bad person because they were raped and therefore "had sex before marriage", and will be a bad mother because they married and atheist and they believe in God, that they are going to ruin their childs life because they are choosing to allow their child to have the choice of whether she wants to be Christian or not?

Wow hold on there, I don't know any Christian alive who would say a woman who was raped was a bad person. Where did you get that idea from (Islam?). You are not made a bad mother by who you marry, but how you act in your motherly role (in the upbrining of your children).
God can judge, so can we.

Do you believe people who rape children should be allowed to remain un-judged? But what if they can't help falling in love with them?

Now I do believe that we should judge others less lightly than we judge ourselves. We don't know what they are going through, but we do know what we are going through. As St. Paul said, he worked out his salvation "in fear and trembelling". We should also have mercy. I don't hate gay people, but I do hate gay sex.
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.�
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Goat »

russeller wrote:
Clownboat wrote:

You do not HAVE to believe anything. Unbelief, however, does not separate an individual from the consequences of unbelief. If I do not believe that gravity exists, and I then jump from the top of a tall building, my unbelief is unchanged, however, the consequences of my unbelief will soon be realized.
On the other hand, you can demonstrate that leaping from a tall building will have consequences.. .. for example.. you can drop an egg, and see the egg go splat.

What can you demonstrate to show that the belief or non belief in a God has consequences?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Clownboat
Savant

Post #7

Post by Clownboat »

russeller wrote:
Clownboat wrote:

I agree. Did you bring this up for a reason? Were you trying to make a connection about not believing in your god and that we will soon realize (upon death I assume) that we were wrong?

Or were you just stating the obvious?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Clownboat
Savant

Post #8

Post by Clownboat »

It isn't the feelings which are morally wrong, but acting on them. You can choose if you are going to become a sexually active homosexual or not.
You are incorrect. I am not capable of choosing to be attracted to a person of the same sex. I am not wired that way.

Be honest, could you choose to be attracted to a person of the same sex as you? Or do you already have those feelings but just try your best to not act on them?

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by His Name Is John »

Clownboat wrote:
You are incorrect. I am not capable of choosing to be attracted to a person of the same sex. I am not wired that way.

Be honest, could you choose to be attracted to a person of the same sex as you? Or do you already have those feelings but just try your best to not act on them?
I didn't say attracted to the same sex. I know you have no choice in that matter.

I am talking about acting out on your attraction: choosing to become sexually active.

I am not married so I am not acting on my attraction to the other gender. If I can abstain from sex, so can you.
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.�
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

TheBlackPhilosophy
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by TheBlackPhilosophy »

Humans are naturally adept at shunning and hatred, it is what keeps society orderly. Religion is merely a concrete foundation on which they can form their hatred; even to the point of justifying murder. Religion itself is not the cause, but is a tool.

Essentially you've just stumbled across the question that most former Christians have asked.

Here is my response to the sexuality/gender debate...

People have no choice in their sexual orientation, or in their gender orientation. If you don't agree, go out and have relations with the same sex; if you can't do so and fully enjoy it, you have just proven me right. There is no "Gay"/"Straight" switch.

To say that people that are gay go against nature is ridiculous, the people saying this should have their foot in their mouth. There are many documented cases of animals of the same sex having relations.

To the contrary, it could be argued that birth control, condoms, masturbation, and "pulling out" are also unnatural.

Not to mention the fact that you have created a vague definition of "Natural/Unnatural"!

Those who argue for abstinence for gays as a way of saving their "immortal soul", please provide conclusive evidence/logic that your religion is absolutely true and that God/Gods exist.

Not to mention the fact that abstinence is MORE unnatural than gay -or other types- of sex.

Isn't it ironic when your own logic begins to turn on you? :confused2:

Note- I define "Natural" as the system (a repeating, re-occuring, observable, ordered system) of interaction between micro and macro organisms (animals to ecosystems).

Thus my definition of unnatural in the area of reproduction would be...

Any act which goes against the of basic survival instincts in either a micro or macro natural system.

Ironically, nature violates its own natural laws, given the definitions.