Conservative vs liberal Comedy

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

dusk
Sage

Conservative vs liberal Comedy

Post #1

Post by dusk »

Just because of another thread which partly started discussing the liberal, left bias in media.
Got me thinking is there anything worthwhile to watch that isn't either apolitical or liberal.
Is is easy to find comedians that make fun of religion, there are even religious ones but there is really little that defends the conservatives politically and the religiously conservatives with intelligent jokes.

I found that page and one comment that kind of sums the whole thing up.
http://www.mediaite.com/online/why-cons ... ever-will/
Actually right-wingers are hardwired without an actual sense of humor.

It's not your fault, it's like being born gay.
Do conservatives lack an actual sense of humor? Is it just really different? Why are all the big shows with many viewers very liberals? Why if there are so many potential conservative viewers in the US is nobody in the media industry making good shows that those would watch.
Are the prominent comedians naturally non-conservatives or is there another reason for it?

bluethread
Savant

Re: Conservative vs liberal Comedy

Post #2

Post by bluethread »

dusk wrote:
Do conservatives lack an actual sense of humor? Is it just really different? Why are all the big shows with many viewers very liberals? Why if there are so many potential conservative viewers in the US is nobody in the media industry making good shows that those would watch.
Are the prominent comedians naturally non-conservatives or is there another reason for it?
Not really, it's just that conservatives are not as thin skinned. When a comedian makes fun of a right wing preacher, the conservative might laugh and say, "you've got a point there." However, when a left wing preacher is made fun of there is some kind of PC issue involved that is an outrage.

RobertUrbanek
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by RobertUrbanek »

South Park skewered both left and right, although most social conservatives probably found the show too vulgar for their tastes.
Untroubled, scornful, outrageous — That is how wisdom wants us to be. She is a woman and never loves anyone but a warrior — Friedrich Nietzsche

dusk
Sage

Post #4

Post by dusk »

bluethread wrote:Not really, it's just that conservatives are not as thin skinned. When a comedian makes fun of a right wing preacher, the conservative might laugh and say, "you've got a point there." However, when a left wing preacher is made fun of there is some kind of PC issue involved that is an outrage.
Could be but I that doesn't really answer the question why there is so little intelligent conservative humor. The people in the comments seem to think it is possible but really hard, others just post really stupid bottom of the pit jokes that only work for 12 year olds. Even in European political comedy I cannot think of a single right wing comedian. Most aren't left either by our standards but would be by US standards.
RobertUrbanek wrote:South Park skewered both left and right, although most social conservatives probably found the show too vulgar for their tastes.
You got examples? IMO it is a lot more beating of right wing associated stuff than liberal stuff.

Anybody got some intelligent right wing comedy? If I think especially political comedy the names that come to mind aren't right wing at all. Could be I just don't know them.

Fuzzy Dunlop
Guru

Post #5

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

The Blue Collar Comedy tour? I haven't seen much because I don't find these guys funny. But if I were looking for conservative jokes, or jokes that conservatives like, that might be a place to start looking.

Is this limited to comedy or does it apply more broadly to other forms of art, I wonder? Like in music, new artists seem to be more liberal sorts while conservative political rallies are still big on the old school country music and classic rock. Maybe conservative parents are more likely to say "put down that guitar and get a job!" or "stop it with the jokes and get a job!" or otherwise encourage their kids to value a strong work ethic over creativity.
bluethread wrote:Not really, it's just that conservatives are not as thin skinned. When a comedian makes fun of a right wing preacher, the conservative might laugh and say, "you've got a point there." However, when a left wing preacher is made fun of there is some kind of PC issue involved that is an outrage.
Do you have some examples in mind?

bluethread
Savant

Post #6

Post by bluethread »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Well, I am not really a comedian, but why does Reverand Wright seem to feel he has to yell all of the time?

Because even with his big ears, Obama didn't hear what he said.

Thatguy
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Thatguy »

bluethread wrote:
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Well, I am not really a comedian, but why does Reverand Wright seem to feel he has to yell all of the time?

I don't think that you'll find a lot of people listing "I find that politically incorrect and offensive" in their top five reasons for not finding that funny.

I can't think of many right wing comedians. I thought Dennis Miller was sometimes funny when he was on the left. When he hopped a post-9/11 bandwagon and turned to the right he lost even more of his humor. There are some right wing comic strips such as Mallard Fillmore or Prickly City. I don't find them funny, but they seem to be of standard quality. It's easier for conservative comedy to succeed when it targets left wing politicians and institutions rather than constituents. Comedy tends to work better as a tool of the little guy against the people in power.

bluethread
Savant

Post #8

Post by bluethread »

Thatguy wrote:
bluethread wrote:

I don't think that you'll find a lot of people listing "I find that politically incorrect and offensive" in their top five reasons for not finding that funny.

I can't think of many right wing comedians. I thought Dennis Miller was sometimes funny when he was on the left. When he hopped a post-9/11 bandwagon and turned to the right he lost even more of his humor. There are some right wing comic strips such as Mallard Fillmore or Prickly City. I don't find them funny, but they seem to be of standard quality. It's easier for conservative comedy to succeed when it targets left wing politicians and institutions rather than constituents. Comedy tends to work better as a tool of the little guy against the people in power.
Thank yoiu for making my point. The jokes by the left at the National Correspondents Dinner about Obama's ears are funny. However, add to it the political statement of Obama that he never heard Reverend Wright's remarks and all of a sudden it is not funny any more. I guess that is because I am such a big guy and Obama is so powerless.

How about this. Biden appears to be the only one capable of taking a stand on human rights, because Obama is still evolving. Given all of the jokes about various republicans being neanderthals, that one should be a hoot.

Thatguy
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Thatguy »

bluethread wrote:
Thank yoiu for making my point. The jokes by the left at the National Correspondents Dinner about Obama's ears are funny. However, add to it the political statement of Obama that he never heard Reverend Wright's remarks and all of a sudden it is not funny any more. I guess that is because I am such a big guy and Obama is so powerless.

How about this. Biden appears to be the only one capable of taking a stand on human rights, because Obama is still evolving. Given all of the jokes about various republicans being neanderthals, that one should be a hoot.
My writing style was unclear then. The joke was not funny because it wasn't funny. not because it would otherwise have been funny but stepped over the line by making fun of the President or of a left wing preacher. Nobody complains that those jokes make fun of people who are sacred and should not be mocked. Nobody laughs because the jokes just ain't funny. The first or the second one.

There are many individual jokes about the President or his associates that ARE funny. Even if one doesn't agree with them, they manage to be funny. The question isn't really about why there aren't funny conservative jokes. Why are there so few intelligent conservative comedians or comedy shows?

bluethread
Savant

Post #10

Post by bluethread »

Thatguy wrote:
bluethread wrote:

My writing style was unclear then. The joke was not funny because it wasn't funny. not because it would otherwise have been funny but stepped over the line by making fun of the President or of a left wing preacher. Nobody complains that those jokes make fun of people who are sacred and should not be mocked. Nobody laughs because the jokes just ain't funny. The first or the second one.

There are many individual jokes about the President or his associates that ARE funny. Even if one doesn't agree with them, they manage to be funny. The question isn't really about why there aren't funny conservative jokes. Why are there so few intelligent conservative comedians or comedy shows?
Nobody? Really? You cut me to the bone. :wail: I guess I'll have to keep my day job. People at my night job, at the convenience store, thought they were funny. I guess that they're just a bunch of nobodies. :drunk: To bad they aren't as intelligent as Bill Maher and Rosie O'Donnell. Yah, those two idiots Dennis Miller and Bill O"Reilly are really good at conning people into thinking that they are having a good time at all of those sold out houses on the Bold and Fresh Tour.