Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

connermt
Banned
Banned

Wedding bells for Jesus..?

Post #1

Post by connermt »

I don't recall ever seeing biblical documentation that indicated as such, but many believe he was married. Of those, most seem to believe he was married to, well, Mary M.
These individuals seem to use the relationship between him and Mary as justification for this belief.
What say you? Was jesus married? If not, why not? If so, to whom was it? What repercussion would it entail?

Tex
Banned
Banned

Re: Wedding bells for Jesus..?

Post #2

Post by Tex »

connermt wrote:I don't recall ever seeing biblical documentation that indicated as such, but many believe he was married. Of those, most seem to believe he was married to, well, Mary M.
These individuals seem to use the relationship between him and Mary as justification for this belief.
What say you? Was jesus married? If not, why not? If so, to whom was it? What repercussion would it entail?

Tex: This is a good question to be discussed by atheist and the fence sitters. Will keep you guys busy trying to figure out who Lord Jesus was.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by connermt »

Tex wrote:
connermt wrote:I don't recall ever seeing biblical documentation that indicated as such, but many believe he was married. Of those, most seem to believe he was married to, well, Mary M.

Tex: This is a good question to be discussed by atheist and the fence sitters. Will keep you guys busy trying to figure out who Lord Jesus was.
It's all a guess

bjs
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by bjs »

While it was the topic of a popular work of fiction a few years ago, almost no one who has studied the topic believes that Jesus was married. None of the documents from near the life of Jesus or for hundreds of years make any mention of him being married. Even the Gospel of Mary Magdalene does not suggest a romantic relationship between Jesus and Mary – unless you use Dan Brown’s approach and take a partially corrupted text and fill in the blanks to make it say what you want. (No offense to Mr. Brown. He openly admits that his work is purely fictional.)

I would put the hypothesis that Jesus was married on the same level as the hypothesis that Jesus never existed as a person. Anything is possible. However, all the available evidence is against the theory.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by connermt »

bjs wrote:
While it was the topic of a popular work of fiction a few years ago, almost no one who has studied the topic believes that Jesus was married. None of the documents from near the life of Jesus or for hundreds of years make any mention of him being married. Even the Gospel of Mary Magdalene does not suggest a romantic relationship between Jesus and Mary – unless you use Dan Brown’s approach and take a partially corrupted text and fill in the blanks to make it say what you want. (No offense to Mr. Brown. He openly admits that his work is purely fictional.)

I would put the hypothesis that Jesus was married on the same level as the hypothesis that Jesus never existed as a person. Anything is possible. However, all the available evidence is against the theory.
Interesting question in general?
How many NT characters were in fact, married?

orthodox skeptic

Post #6

Post by orthodox skeptic »

The only authority for the possibility of Jesus' marriage to Mary Magdalene I found in Johns Shelby Spong's, "Why Christianity Must Change or Die" (pg xv). He theorized that there is N/T data that supports such possibility. Magdalene was one of Jesus' FEMALE DISCIPLES who not only accompanied him on his journeys but in fact financially supported him. The difficulty lies in the traditional Jewish negative image of women during that time period. However, that did not preclude the possiblity of such a union since, again, within the Jewish tradition, for a man of thirty to be unwed would have been cause for concern. In my own view Magdalene's acknowledged significant presence in the resurrection story could certainly lend weight to an intimate if not marriage theory.
Tex wrote:

Flail

Post #7

Post by Flail »

Although interesting speculation, whether Jesus was married is, to me, about as irrelevant and tenuous to the reality of Jesus as is the virgin birth/resurrection mythos. Jesus' life was about his example, teachings and lessons for life; all of which are available to all and instructive regardless of whether one believes the myth that has come to be his legend. I don't care whether you think he was married or whether you believe he was a God of some sort; his philosophy of life and how we should treat one another is exemplary.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by connermt »

Flail wrote:
Although interesting speculation, whether Jesus was married is, to me, about as irrelevant and tenuous to the reality of Jesus as is the virgin birth/resurrection mythos. Jesus' life was about his example, teachings and lessons for life; all of which are available to all and instructive regardless of whether one believes the myth that has come to be his legend. I don't care whether you think he was married or whether you believe he was a God of some sort; his philosophy of life and how we should treat one another is exemplary.
I had this discussion with other christians and they said him being married wouldn't have fulfilled his spiritual journey nor the foretelling of his coming to earth and his actions therein.

Flail

Post #9

Post by Flail »

connermt wrote:
Flail wrote:
I had this discussion with other christians and they said him being married wouldn't have fulfilled his spiritual journey nor the foretelling of his coming to earth and his actions therein.
I guess....if you are into that part of the myth.... But the moral example of his life and lessons from his teachings are available outside the myth that would have us pretend him to be a God.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by connermt »

Flail wrote:
connermt wrote:
Flail wrote:
I guess....if you are into that part of the myth.... But the moral example of his life and lessons from his teachings are available outside the myth that would have us pretend him to be a God.
Agreed.
Even for those that don't believe in the biblical god, salvation, supernatural this-n0thats, etc, there's good lessons that could be learned from the stories.