Christianity and Apopleptics

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jax Agnesson
Guru

Christianity and Apopleptics

Post #1

Post by Jax Agnesson »

I've spent a while in the last year or two exploring Christian discussion boards, and I note that homosexuality seems to provoke some of the most passionate division and debate.
Some Christians are fine with it, up to and including welcoming gay marriage, gay clergy, very positively.
Some Christians seem to go blue in the face at the very thought of two men twiddling with each other's naughty bits..
Others take varying attitudes between the two extremes.

I'm not here inviting yet another debate about the rights and wrongs of homosexuality per se, but asking (and this is my question for debate) why, of all the 'sins' Christians are not entirely agreed about, homosexuality provokes such strong reaction?

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Christianity and Apopleptics

Post #2

Post by Clownboat »

Jax Agnesson wrote: I've spent a while in the last year or two exploring Christian discussion boards, and I note that homosexuality seems to provoke some of the most passionate division and debate.
Some Christians are fine with it, up to and including welcoming gay marriage, gay clergy, very positively.
Some Christians seem to go blue in the face at the very thought of two men twiddling with each other's naughty bits..

I'm not here inviting yet another debate about the rights and wrongs of homosexuality per se, but asking (and this is my question for debate) why, of all the 'sins' Christians are not entirely agreed about, homosexuality provokes such strong reaction?
Because the slavery and interracial marriage battles have already been lost. Be sure, when this battle is lost, the attention will go elsewhere.

What I don't understand is why some Christians take this stance to begin with. They are not doing Christianity any favors when looked at from the point of view of someone that does not agree with their particular judgement.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Jax Agnesson
Guru

Post #3

Post by Jax Agnesson »

I'm not sure it's just that, Clownboat.
Compare the abortion debate.
Dianaiad has conducted a clear, well argued thread on this topic recently. Both sides have reason to be passionate about this matter. It is a live 'political' issue, particularly in the US. But for the most part the debate was conducted in cogent, rational terms, with each side going into their reasons in detail. I must admit I found my own position shifting a little towards the pro-lifers as the debate went on.
But ISTM that the debate on the question of homsexuality is utterly irrational by comparison.
In abortion, from the pov of one side, actual humans get murdered. In the homosexual act, no-one gets hurt. So the only way to say it's a sin is to claim that Paul said it is a sin, and that's that. Is that rational? Lots of things are 'sins' on that basis, but I can't think of another example of a behaviour that does no harm (to any non-participant) arousing such righteous anger and certainty in those who claim it's a 'sin'.
What's that about?

Rkrause
Guru

Post #4

Post by Rkrause »

Jax Agnesson wrote: I've spent a while in the last year or two exploring Christian discussion boards, and I note that homosexuality seems to provoke some of the most passionate division and debate.

We can still debate it with a slim chance of the world understanding our viewpoints before the issue becomes too muddled.

Same thing with many of the chritian beliefs. Culture is too tolerant of the actions of sins and Christians can't save anyone just protest the actions.

Not to mention it is "the topic" now a days.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Goat »

Jax Agnesson wrote: I'm not sure it's just that, Clownboat.
Compare the abortion debate.
Dianaiad has conducted a clear, well argued thread on this topic recently. Both sides have reason to be passionate about this matter. It is a live 'political' issue, particularly in the US. But for the most part the debate was conducted in cogent, rational terms, with each side going into their reasons in detail. I must admit I found my own position shifting a little towards the pro-lifers as the debate went on.
But ISTM that the debate on the question of homsexuality is utterly irrational by comparison.
In abortion, from the pov of one side, actual humans get murdered. In the homosexual act, no-one gets hurt. So the only way to say it's a sin is to claim that Paul said it is a sin, and that's that. Is that rational? Lots of things are 'sins' on that basis, but I can't think of another example of a behaviour that does no harm (to any non-participant) arousing such righteous anger and certainty in those who claim it's a 'sin'.
What's that about?

Not in all cases, but in at least some cases , they are not trying to convince other people, they are trying to convince themselves. Some of the most virulent homophobes either got caught with their pants down with someone of the same gender, or 'came out'. It is a common enough occurrence that people who preach loudly and often about homosexuality are suspected of being in fact, homosexual themselves.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Quath
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Quath »

I think there are several reasons.

Christianity seems to be focused on the idea that the world is getting worse and worse and thus make way for the need for the second coming. However, all statistics show the world living longer, having fewer children lower murder rates and higher happiness. So to maintain the view the world is getting worse, something must be pointed to and claim that this is bad. I think sex and sexuality are the main targets of this. But the goalpost has move far beyond single parents, interracial marriage, artificial insemination and one of the few places of traction is in homosexuality.

Another reason is Christians have no reason to argue over something noncontroversial. So there is not a huge debate on bestiality, pedophilia (coverups are a different issue), or rape even though they oppose all of these. The first place they do get push back is homosexuality.

I think the number one reason people are against gay marriage is they find homosexuality icky.

I think it is also human nature to try to group up and see other groups as bad.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #7

Post by Clownboat »

Jax Agnesson wrote:
I'm not sure it's just that, Clownboat.
I'm a bit confused. I said: the slavery and interracial marriage battles have already been lost.
Are you saying that you disagree that those battles were lost? Or am I missing something.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Rkrause
Guru

Post #8

Post by Rkrause »

I have a question. On religious boards who starts the "hot topic debates"? Christians or non-believers? The answer to that question might give you an awer to your question.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Goat »

Rkrause wrote:

I have a question. On religious boards who starts the "hot topic debates"? Christians or non-believers? The answer to that question might give you an awer to your question.
Well, funny thing at least aobut one board. There were several open Christian gays.. and all the threads about homosexuality in the religion segment was opened by someone proclaiming 'Get out of Sodom and Gomorrah and repent'. and repeated scatological references to anal sex. .. obsessively.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Rkrause
Guru

Post #10

Post by Rkrause »

Goat wrote:
Rkrause wrote:

Well, funny thing at least aobut one board. There were several open Christian gays.. and all the threads about homosexuality in the religion segment was opened by someone proclaiming 'Get out of Sodom and Gomorrah and repent'. and repeated scatological references to anal sex. .. obsessively.
Ok, lets just say "when a normal person" starts this debate is it a non-believer or Christian more often? O:)