Misconceptions about Islam:

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

HaLi8993
Guru

Misconceptions about Islam:

Post #1

Post by HaLi8993 »

There are many misconceptions that exist within the field of Islam one being the topic of women. Unfortunately due to ignorance and lack of knowledge of some people and the ever growing propaganda and Islamaphobia that exist today, including the ever growing media agenda’s that govern the way people think and act, women are deemed as being unequal to men in Islam.

We are all aware that women and men are not alike so I don’t understand when someone makes the statement that Islam should practice equality, what do you mean by equality??? This word – equality – which many thinkers in both the east and the west advocate in various fields of life is a word which is based on deviation and a lack of understanding, especially when it is attributed to the religion to Islam. One of the things that people misunderstand is when they say that “Islam is the religion of equality�. What they should say is that Islam is the religion of justice.

Here we should note that there are some people who speak of equality instead of justice, and this is a mistake. We should not say equality, because equality implies no differentiation between the two. Because of this unjust call for equality, people start to ask, what is the difference between male and female?’ So they made males and females the same. We are all aware that the Male is not like the female.

God says in the Quran:

“And the male is not like the female�[Quran Aal ‘Imraan 3:36] The male is different from the female in many ways, in his strength, in his body, in his toughness and roughness, whereas women are soft and gentle. Women are like men in some aspects and they differ from them in others. Most of the rulings of Islam apply to men and women equally.

In cases where a distinction is made between the sexes, the Muslim regards that as a mercy from God and a sign of His knowledge of His creation, but the arrogant people see it as oppression and injustice, so he stubbornly insists on claiming that men and women are the same. So let him tell us how a man can carry a foetus and breastfeed it? He stubbornly ignores the weakness of women and how they bleed during their monthly period, and he stubbornly refuses to accept reality.

But the Muslim is still at peace with his faith, surrendering to the command of God. “Should not He who has created know? And He is the Most Kind and Courteous (to His slaves), All Aware (of everything)� [Quran al-Mulk 67:14 ]

HaLi8993
Guru

Post #791

Post by HaLi8993 »

@ Autodidact

QUOTE: "So apparently sex with children, slavery and theft are not sins then? Interesting morality you got there"

ANSWER: Nope, Islam doesn't allow sex with children, one of the conditions of consummating the marriage is that she reach the age of puberty, hence no longer a child but a women. Islamic slavery is not a sin, theft is.

Burninglight
Guru

Post #792

Post by Burninglight »

HaLi8993 wrote: @ Autodidact

QUOTE: "So apparently sex with children, slavery and theft are not sins then? Interesting morality you got there"

ANSWER: Nope, Islam doesn't allow sex with children, one of the conditions of consummating the marriage is that she reach the age of puberty, hence no longer a child but a women. Islamic slavery is not a sin, theft is.
I heard that Muhammad fondled Aisha when she was 6 and had sexual intercourse with her at the age of 9 while she was still playing with dolls. Muslim are following Muhammad's example still today and marrying them even younger and it is leading to all kinds of abuse.
I am not saying Muhammad is a pedophile, but i am saying he doesn't make a good universal prophet or role model for the world. Because most of the world frowns on adults having sex with children. Would you give your 6 year old daughter to a respected 55 year old Muslim Man in marriage, or would you tell that man to wait until your daughter reached not physical puberty but the mental maturity for marriage?

Some people say it was Aisha that poisoned Muhammad and some say a Jewish woman did it by poisoning a leg of lamb he ate with others. Muhammad stated that he felt as if his aorta was cut before he died. I believe he must have looked like Deedat in his death bed.

HaLi8993
Guru

Post #793

Post by HaLi8993 »

@ Burninglight

QUOTE: "I heard that Muhammad fondled Aisha when she was 6 and had sexual intercourse with her at the age of 9 while she was still playing with dolls. Muslim are following Muhammad's example still today and marrying them even younger and it is leading to all kinds of abuse. 
I am not saying Muhammad is a pedophile, but i am saying he doesn't make a good universal prophet or role model for the world. Because most of the world frowns on adults having sex with children. Would you give your 6 year old daughter to a respected 55 year old Muslim Man in marriage, or would you tell that man to wait until your daughter reached not physical puberty but the mental maturity for marriage? 

Some people say it was Aisha that poisoned Muhammad and some say a Jewish woman did it by poisoning a leg of lamb he ate with others. Muhammad stated that he felt as if his aorta was cut before he died. I believe he must have looked like Deedat in his death bed"

ANSWER: Here we go again, what other lengths will you go to in order to discredit Islam and then you wander why we go around in circles lol, He is the best of examples. Girls during the Biblical days used to be married off at young ages also, this was a common practice at the time. Burninglight we can discuss the Prophet's marriage to Aisha in detail if you like its not a problem just give me the go ahead. She wasn't a child when she consummated the marriage. Who decides what is mental maturity you or God??. We can so compare this to the Bible where according to Christian resources, Mary was 12-14 when she had Jesus (peace be upon him). We can also compare the Talmud where girls were married off before at the age of 3, meaning that the Bible's Old Testament has no age limit on when girls can marry.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) was not a child molester as the haters of Islam claim. He was a Noble Messenger of God. We must not judge what he or others did based on our standards today. It would be wrong to do so.

It seems like you are very eager to discuss the Prophets death, why is this?, in order to call Muhammad (peace be upon him) a false Prophet lol, it's not going to work cause the poison would have killed the Prophet (peace be upon him) instantly as it did his companion. But instead God ordained that he survive and complete the Message he came to proclaim to all of mankind.

Burninglight
Guru

Post #794

Post by Burninglight »

HaLi8993 wrote: @ Burninglight

QUOTE: "I heard that Muhammad fondled Aisha when she was 6 and had sexual intercourse with her at the age of 9 while she was still playing with dolls. Muslim are following Muhammad's example still today and marrying them even younger and it is leading to all kinds of abuse. 

Some people say it was Aisha that poisoned Muhammad and some say a Jewish woman did it by poisoning a leg of lamb he ate with others. Muhammad stated that he felt as if his aorta was cut before he died. I believe he must have looked like Deedat in his death bed"

ANSWER: Here we go again, what other lengths will you go to in order to discredit Islam and then you wander why we go around in circles lol, He is the best of examples. Girls during the Biblical days used to be married off at young ages also, this was a common practice at the time. Burninglight we can discuss the Prophet's marriage to Aisha in detail if you like its not a problem just give me the go ahead. She wasn't a child when she consummated the marriage. Who decides what is mental maturity you or God??. We can so compare this to the Bible where according to Christian resources, Mary was 12-14 when she had Jesus (peace be upon him). We can also compare the Talmud where girls were married off before at the age of 3, meaning that the Bible's Old Testament has no age limit on when girls can marry.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) was not a child molester as the haters of Islam claim. He was a Noble Messenger of God. We must not judge what he or others did based on our standards today. It would be wrong to do so.

It seems like you are very eager to discuss the Prophets death, why is this?, in order to call Muhammad (peace be upon him) a false Prophet lol, it's not going to work cause the poison would have killed the Prophet (peace be upon him) instantly as it did his companion. But instead God ordained that he survive and complete the Message he came to proclaim to all of mankind.
Muhammad wasn't living in Biblical times lol, and I never said Muhammad was a child molester you really have reading comprehension problems.
I don't believe Mary was 14 yo, but when she married Joseph, he was also a young man unlike the age difference between Muhammad and Aisha. Besides even if Mary was 14 yo, that is still more that twice the age of Aisha's marriage; moreover, Muhammad was way older than Joseph. It is easy to believe that a 14 yo girl has reach maturity than a 6 yo child. You are grasping a straws here.

Finally, in Jewish wedding the groom has to wait a year before they can consumate the marriage. That would make her a year older.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #795

Post by Goat »

Burninglight wrote:

Muhammad wasn't living in Biblical times lol, and I never said Muhammad was a child molester you really have reading comprehension problems.
I don't believe Mary was 14 yo, but when she married Joseph, he was also a young man unlike the age difference between Muhammad and Aisha. Besides even if Mary was 14 yo, that is still more that twice the age of Aisha's marriage; moreover, Muhammad was way older than Joseph. It is easy to believe that a 14 yo girl has reach maturity than a 6 yo child. You are grasping a straws here.

Finally, in Jewish wedding the groom has to wait a year before they can consumate the marriage. That would make her a year older.
When it comes to the Jewish wedding traditions of the that time period, that is absolutely incorrect. There is no 'betrothal' period.. although there is a period where the woman still lives with her parents, while the groom gets THEIR house in order. There are two ceremonies.. one where they get married, and then consummate the marriage, and then when the house is ready, they get married under the 'hupa' before the town to show they are married. In modern times, both traditions have been combined to happen at the same time..

The key point is to point at that the marriage was consummated when the marriage contract was signed.. while the bride was still living at her father's house.

If you examine the Gospel of Matthew under the light of Jewish wedding customs, and understand that the target of the GOM was early Jewish converts to the Christian religion, a case can be made that they understood the Jewish customs, and Mary was not a virgin in the modern sense of the word, but rather it was showing that Mary was a faithful wife to Joseph. That would make more sense, because according to Jewish custom, the 'line of David' could only be inherited by the biological male line of King David, and it took great lengths to establish the lineage of Joseph. Pure fantasy from start to finish, but that could be the intent.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Burninglight
Guru

Post #796

Post by Burninglight »

Goat wrote:
Burninglight wrote:

Finally, in Jewish wedding the groom has to wait a year before they can consummate the marriage. That would make her a year older.
When it comes to the Jewish wedding traditions of the that time period, that is absolutely incorrect. There is no 'betrothal' period.. although there is a period where the woman still lives with her parents, while the groom gets THEIR house in order. There are two ceremonies.. one where they get married, and then consummate the marriage, and then when the house is ready, they get married under the 'hupa' before the town to show they are married. In modern times, both traditions have been combined to happen at the same time..

The key point is to point at that the marriage was consummated when the marriage contract was signed.. while the bride was still living at her father's house.

If you examine the Gospel of Matthew under the light of Jewish wedding customs, and understand that the target of the GOM was early Jewish converts to the Christian religion, a case can be made that they understood the Jewish customs, and Mary was not a virgin in the modern sense of the word, but rather it was showing that Mary was a faithful wife to Joseph. That would make more sense, because according to Jewish custom, the 'line of David' could only be inherited by the biological male line of King David, and it took great lengths to establish the lineage of Joseph. Pure fantasy from start to finish, but that could be the intent.
I guess maybe I got the timeline confused, but I knew there was a waiting waiting period in Jewish weddings such as the groom may take up to a year or longer to prepare, but what do you mean by pure fantasy and intent? I know that Joseph and Mary had the correct ancestral line for Jesus; however, Ishmael or Muhammad are not in the line at all and never had been.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #797

Post by Goat »

Burninglight wrote:
Goat wrote:
Burninglight wrote:

Finally, in Jewish wedding the groom has to wait a year before they can consummate the marriage. That would make her a year older.

I guess maybe I got the timeline confused, but I knew there was a waiting waiting period in Jewish weddings such as the groom may take up to a year or longer to prepare, but what do you mean by pure fantasy and intent? I know that Joseph and Mary had the correct ancestral line for Jesus and Ishmael or Muhammad is not in the line at all and never had been.

Which line?? In Judaism, when the bloodline lineage ALWAYS follows the biological father.. even with adopted children. Luke disputes Matthew. That means one, or the other, or both are made up.

While the separation of the woman living with her parents can last up to a year (it could be a lot less), conjugal visits are permissible... and encouraged. There have been many pregnancies that happened during that time.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

HaLi8993
Guru

Post #798

Post by HaLi8993 »

@ Burninlight

QUOTE: "Muhammad wasn't living in Biblical times lol, and I never said Muhammad was a child molester you really have reading comprehension problems. 

Finally, in Jewish wedding the groom has to wait a year before they can consumate the marriage. That would make her a year older"

ANSWER: What does Muhammad (peace be upon him) being present during biblical times have to do with anything?, the point is that marriage at a young age was of no concern. So what are you saying? Is this what you want to believe lol.

"When forty years of age, Joseph married a woman called Melcha or Escha by some, Salome by others; they lived forty-nine years together and had six children, two daughters and four sons, the youngest of whom was James (the Less, "the Lord's brother"). A year after his wife's death, as the priests announced through Judea that they wished to find in the tribe of Juda a respectable man to espouse Mary, then twelve to fourteen years of age, Joseph, who was at the time NINTY YEARS OLD, went up to Jerusalem among the candidates; a miracle manifested the choice God had made of Joseph, and two years later the Annunciation took place."

"...retained the belief that St. Joseph was an old man at the time of marriage with the Mother of God." 

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08504a.htm

If Christians do not find any difficulty in accepting "Mother of God", who was 12-14, marrying a 90 year old man then why do they raise objection towards the marriage of Aisha to the Prophet (peace be upon him) which God commanded of Him.

As for the Jewish weddings, I have no knowledge in regards to this, however it seems Goat has clarified this issue :-) what I can say however is that we simply cannot speculate ages based on what we think without any evidence

Burninglight
Guru

lol

Post #799

Post by Burninglight »

HaLi8993 wrote: @ Burninlight

QUOTE: "Muhammad wasn't living in Biblical times lol, and I never said Muhammad was a child molester you really have reading comprehension problems. 

Finally, in Jewish wedding the groom has to wait a year before they can consumate the marriage. That would make her a year older"
HaLi8993 wrote:
ANSWER: What does Muhammad (peace be upon him) being present during biblical times have to do with anything?, the point is that marriage at a young age was of no concern. So what are you saying? Is this what you want to believe lol.
You are the one who brought up what people did in Biblical times regarding justifying Muhammad's marriage to Aisha. That is what has to do with it.
HaLi8993 wrote:
"When forty years of age, Joseph married a woman called Melcha or Escha by some, Salome by others; they lived forty-nine years together and had six children, two daughters and four sons, the youngest of whom was James (the Less, "the Lord's brother"). A year after his wife's death, as the priests announced through Judea that they wished to find in the tribe of Juda a respectable man to espouse Mary, then twelve to fourteen years of age, Joseph, who was at the time NINTY YEARS OLD, went up to Jerusalem among the candidates; a miracle manifested the choice God had made of Joseph, and two years later the Annunciation took place."

"...retained the belief that St. Joseph was an old man at the time of marriage with the Mother of God." 

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08504a.htm

If Christians do not find any difficulty in accepting "Mother of God", who was 12-14, marrying a 90 year old man then why do they raise objection towards the marriage of Aisha to the Prophet (peace be upon him) which God commanded of Him.

As for the Jewish weddings, I have no knowledge in regards to this, however it seems Goat has clarified this issue :-) what I can say however is that we simply cannot speculate ages based on what we think without any evidence
"Mother of God?" What are you looking at? I don't trust those Catholic sources anymore than I do the Quran or Islamic sources. God has no mother that is a stupid thought. That website takes into consideration books that have been rejected by the congregation of churches as a whole. Catholicism has almost as much a mixture of paganism in it as does Islam. Just quote from the Bible if you want to get anywhere with me. Not a JW's Bible and not a Catholic Bible or a Mormon Bible etc. You are really grasping at straws. I didn't say Muhammad is a pervert for having sex with a child. I just said he doesn't make a good universal prophet model for the world because of it. Most of the world frowns on anything that hints on pedophilia. Now I don't believe Muhammad was a pedophile if that is any consolation to you, but it makes him a poor role model. And looking at the way people lived in Biblical times is no excuse. Things were different back then just as they were different after Christ's birth

Burninglight
Guru

both lines are correct

Post #800

Post by Burninglight »

Goat wrote:
Burninglight wrote:
Goat wrote:
Burninglight wrote:

I guess maybe I got the timeline confused, but I knew there was a waiting waiting period in Jewish weddings such as the groom may take up to a year or longer to prepare, but what do you mean by pure fantasy and intent? I know that Joseph and Mary had the correct ancestral line for Jesus and Ishmael or Muhammad is not in the line at all and never had been.

Which line?? In Judaism, when the bloodline lineage ALWAYS follows the biological father.. even with adopted children. Luke disputes Matthew. That means one, or the other, or both are made up.

While the separation of the woman living with her parents can last up to a year (it could be a lot less), conjugal visits are permissible... and encouraged. There have been many pregnancies that happened during that time.
Get yourself a book called "The Big Book of Bible Difficulties." Matthew gives Jesus' paternal genealogy, and Luke his maternal genealogy. First of all, both lines trace Christ to David, each through a different son of David. Matthew traces Christ through Joseph (his legal father) to David's son Solomon by whom Christ rightfully inherited the throne of David. Luke's purposes show Christ as an actual human. So he traces Christ to David's son Natham through His actual mother, Mary through whom He can rightfully claim to be fully human. IOW< Christ is true God from true God and true man from true man! There is no problem here; it is perfect even as God is perfect! Read the book; It goes into much more detail than this.