What's the difference between a homophobe and a racist?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Waiting4evidence
Sage

What's the difference between a homophobe and a racist?

Post #1

Post by Waiting4evidence »

In terms of how bigoted and despicable they are, what is the difference between a homophobe and a white supremacist?

A homophobe might say: "I own a restaurant, and I don't feel comfortable with gay people eating here"

A racist might say "I own a restaurant, and I don't feel comfortable with black people eating here"

A homophobe might say "I would never let a gay person babysit my children"

A racist might say "I would never let a black person babysit my children"

A homophobe might say "I don't recognize a gay couple as married because marriage is just for straight people"

A racist might say "I don't recognize an interracial couple as married because marriage is just for white people".

Can anybody think of any statement that promotes or implies the treatment of gay people as anything short of IDENTICAL to straight people, which wouldn't be seen as outrageous when "translated" into white supremacist lingo, as in the examples above?

Quath
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by Quath »

The word substitution works for a group of people nobody likes. For example, you could be "bigoted" against rapists. Then you could say "I own a restaurant, and I don't feel comfortable with rapists eating here" and no person will say you are bad for doing that.

But what that implies is that homosexuals must be seen as really bad people for this to work.

Moses Yoder
Guru

Post #3

Post by Moses Yoder »

I would agree with your premise, but have to clarify that just because I am opposed to same sex marriage does not mean I am a racist or a homophobe. The definition of homophobe according to dictionary.com is;
ho·mo·phobe   /ˈhoʊməˌfoʊb/ Show Spelled[hoh-muh-fohb] Show IPA
noun
a person who fears or hates homosexuals and homosexuality.
I do not fear or hate homosexuals, but am opposed to same sex marriage. In fact I rather like Matt Bomer who plays Neal Caffrey on "White Collar". I have absolutely nothing against him and like the show. I still shop at Home Depot in spite of their pro-gay agenda, which is boycotted by many Christians.

I would say a homophobe dislikes someone because of their sexual orientation, and a racist dislikes someone because of their race. Their really is a big difference. For instance, an African-American might be gay and then he would be hated by both your average homophobe and the racist. If he was not gay, he would only be hated by the racist and not the homophobe. Big difference.
Matthew 16:26
New King James Version (NKJV)
26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?

Haven

Post #4

Post by Haven »

Personally, I see no difference between racism and homophobia -- both are unjustified biases against other human beings based upon nothing but ignorance and superstition. We must work to eradicate both and promote equal rights for all.

EduChris
Prodigy

Re: What's the difference between a homophobe and a racist?

Post #5

Post by EduChris »

Waiting4evidence wrote:...Can anybody think of any statement that promotes or implies the treatment of gay people as anything short of IDENTICAL to straight people, which wouldn't be seen as outrageous when "translated" into white supremacist lingo, as in the examples above?
The difference has to do with the behaviors involved. For example, one might be opposed to people engaging in certain behaviors, no matter what the perpetrators look like; and on the other hand, one might be opposed to folks who look a certain way, no matter how they behave.

Haven

Post #6

Post by Haven »

[color=orange]EduChris[/color] wrote:The difference has to do with the behaviors involved. For example, one might be opposed to people engaging in certain behaviors, no matter what the perpetrators look like; and on the other hand, one might be opposed to folks who look a certain way, no matter how they behave.
Homosexuality is not a behavior or a lifestyle, it is simply an identity. It's who a person is, not what a person does. A gay person is still "gay" regardless of how she behaves, who she dates / marries, where she goes, or what she believes. Sexual orientation is immutable.

Also, "behavior" plays a significant role in racial discrimination. Many racists are really "culturalists" -- their problem is not so much with minority "race" (i.e., 'the way someone looks'), but minority culture and mannerisms (i.e., 'the way someone behaves').

I've had racists come to me (I'm black, but culturally white [long story]) and bash black people with the usual racist stereotypes, yet say they have no problem with me because of the "way I am." This has happened numerous times so it's far from an isolated incident.

Moses Yoder
Guru

Post #7

Post by Moses Yoder »

Haven wrote:Personally, I see no difference between racism and homophobia -- both are unjustified biases against other human beings based upon nothing but ignorance and superstition. We must work to eradicate both and promote equal rights for all.
This is the most bigoted statement I have read on this site to date. You are talking about eliminating the freedom we have to be ignorant and superstitios. Next thing we know the governemnt will require everyone to have a masters degree as a minimum education at a cost of half a million dollars personal debt. What's next, eliminating the right of people to drink alcohol?
Matthew 16:26
New King James Version (NKJV)
26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?

Haven

Post #8

Post by Haven »

[color=red]Moses Yoder[/color] wrote: This is the most bigoted statement I have read on this site to date. You are talking about eliminating the freedom we have to be ignorant and superstitios.
Yes, I think ignorance and superstition should be eradicated, as such things are devastating to humanity (note that I did not say religion, as I don't equate religion with superstition).

[color=green]Moses[/color] wrote:Next thing we know the governemnt will require everyone to have a masters degree as a minimum education at a cost of half a million dollars personal debt. What's next, eliminating the right of people to drink alcohol?
I never mentioned government intervention. Ideally, people would educate themselves (both socially and academically) and would leave their old bigotries behind on their own. I support the right of individuals to believe anything as long as said beliefs don't cause them to harm others.

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by EduChris »

Haven wrote:...A gay person is still "gay" regardless of how she behaves...
Right. It's not a sin to perceive of oneself as "gay." Therefore, it certainly is possible to love the gay person, even while opposing certain behaviors (which individual gay persons might well abstain from). In this situation, there is no hint of racism or bigotry--so long as the behaviors in question are in fact harmful to the person and/or to society.

And the contrary can also be also be true. A person might conceive of herself as "gay," and yet refuse to engage in certain behaviors. If someone were to hate this person just because of her self-perception, and despite her behavioral restraint, this would be similar to racism.

Flail

Post #10

Post by Flail »

Moses Yoder wrote:I would agree with your premise, but have to clarify that just because I am opposed to same sex marriage does not mean I am a racist or a homophobe. The definition of homophobe according to dictionary.com is;
ho·mo·phobe   /ˈhoʊməˌfoʊb/ Show Spelled[hoh-muh-fohb] Show IPA
noun
a person who fears or hates homosexuals and homosexuality.
racist: a belief that all members of a specific race possess qualities and characteristics that make it inferior to other races.

I do see some similarities.