Christians: Question on Homosexualality

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Fides et Veritas

Christians: Question on Homosexualality

Post #1

Post by Fides et Veritas »

First let me note that this is not a debate forum. I do not want arguments against other posts. If someone says something that you disagree with then feel free to post it one of the many debate threads for this subject. Feel free to ask for clarification. But do not attack or start arguments. This is precisely why I posted here and not in the Debate section. Refer to the numbered list below and please endeavor to stick with it.

Thank You.

1.)What denomination are you?
2.)How old are you?
3.)Are you an active member of your denomination?(I know people who are 4.)5.)4.)Catholic who never attend mass)?
5.)Are you close to anyone who is Homosexual(family, coworkers, friends, etc)?
6.)Do you think Homosexuality is a choice or is it genetic? Both?
7.)Does your denomination feel the same toward Homosexuality as you do?
8.)How do you treat Homosexuals that wait on you at restaurants, or fix your car?
9.)Do you support Civil Unions? Marriage?
10.)Do you also support them for people who are Homosexual?
11.)What verses do you feel stand against Homosexuality?
12.)What verses do you feel support Homosexuality?

Thanks

cnorman18

Re: Christians: Question on Homosexualality

Post #2

Post by cnorman18 »

I realize that these questions were not directed at me, but I am responding anyway. For the record, I would have given much the same answers when I was a Methodist minister.

1.)What denomination are you?

I am a Conservative Jew.

2.)How old are you?

3.)Are you an active member of your denomination?

Yes.

5.)Are you close to anyone who is Homosexual?

Not at present, but I have been in the past; I had several gay employees when I was a restaurant manager, and knew a number of gays when I was in college.

6.)Do you think Homosexuality is a choice or is it genetic? Both?

Neither. The causes of homosexuality are not known, but though it does not appear to be "genetic," it does not appear to be a choice either, at least for men. I think in the case of some women, lesbianism is a choice; I know of at least two women who became lesbians after repeated abusive relationships with men.

7.)Does your denomination feel the same toward Homosexuality as you do?

Well, you haven't asked me how I feel about it yet, but Jews in general are accepting of homosexuality. There is an openly lesbian couple who attend my synagogue regularly, and I have heard (or heard OF) no complaints. They are as accepted as any other couple.

8.)How do you treat Homosexuals that wait on you at restaurants, or fix your car?

Since homosexuality isn't visible like blonde hair or left-handedness, I suppose I treat them like anyone else, since I don't know who they are. One can't tell by appearances; the most effeminate man I know is as heterosexual as they come, and Rock Hudson, e.g., certainly didn't appear to be gay.

9.)Do you support Civil Unions? Marriage?

Of course.

10.)Do you also support them for people who are Homosexual?

Same answer.

11.)What verses do you feel stand against Homosexuality?

None. The concept of "homosexuality," as we understand it today, did not exist in Biblical times. All the references in the Bible are to homosexual acts, not to homosexual orientation. That was unknown, and the Bible references seem to be directed at homosexual acts carried out by heterosexual men. This view is supported by the fact that nothing is said about homosexual acts carried out by women.

12.)What verses do you feel support Homosexuality?

The ones about justice, humility, looking at one's own failings before those of others, leaving judgment to God, and so on.

It's been pointed out elsewhere that many other things were unequivocally considered just as sinful in the Bible as homosexual acts, such as eating shrimp, lending at interest and marrying after divorce, but are accepted without complaint by the overwhelming majority of Christians (and Jews) today.

For the record, it's very clear in the most ancient Jewish traditions that the sin of Sodom was not homosexuality, but a conspicuous absence of compassion and charity. This is not only in Jewish tradition, but in the Bible itself. Ezekiel 16:49 is rather clear on the subject: "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy."

Fides et Veritas

Post #3

Thank you for your input and participation in my post.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

[mrow][mcol]thirty years ago[mcol]now [row]What denomination are you? [col]churches of Christ [col]Humanist [row]How old are you? [col]22[col]52[row]Are you an active member of your denomination? [col]Yes [col]Yes [row]Are you close to anyone who is Homosexual(family, coworkers, friends, etc)? [col]No [col]Yes [row]Do you think Homosexuality is a choice or is it genetic? Both? [col]Choice. It is a sin to be repented of. [col]I really don't know. [row])Does your denomination feel the same toward Homosexuality as you do? [col]Yes [col]Yes [row]How do you treat Homosexuals that wait on you at restaurants, or fix your car? [col]As anyone else [col]As anyone else [row]Do you support Civil Unions or Marriage for people who are Homosexual?[col]No [col]Yes
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Fides et Veritas

Post #5

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

(Format shamelessly stolen from McCulloch the showoff ;) )
[mrow][mcol]Ten years ago (1)[mcol]Now [row]What denomination are you? [col]Roman Catholic [col]Just me[row]How old are you? [col]10[col]20[row]Are you an active member of your denomination? [col]Yes [col]N/A [row]Are you close to anyone who is Homosexual(family, coworkers, friends, etc)? [col]No [col]Yes [row]Do you think Homosexuality is a choice or is it genetic? Both? [col]Probably inherent of unknown origin. Homosexuality is not itself a sin but homosexual actions are[col](2) [row]Does your denomination feel the same toward Homosexuality as you do? [col]Yes [col]N/A [row]How do you treat Homosexuals that wait on you at restaurants, or fix your car? [col]As anyone else [col]As anyone else [row]Do you support Civil Unions or Marriage for people who are Homosexual?[col]No [col]Yes
(1) Standard Catholic beliefs. I accepted them at the time even if I did not fully comprehend them.

(2) IMO male homosexuality seems to be inherent and not a choice, although my knowledge is limited in that area. Female homosexuality may be inherent or a choice or both depending on the individual. Seems to be an inherent preference with me. But I have seen others ‘jump the fence’ for cause, like abuse by men, without any apparent prior preference.
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

Fides et Veritas

Post #7

Haven

Post #8

Post by Haven »

Thanks to McCulloch :)
[mrow][mcol]five years ago[mcol]now [row]What denomination are you? [col]Baptist General Conference [col]First Havenist Humanist Church of Christian Atheism of the Midwest (FHHCCAM) [row]How old are you? [col]20[col]25[row]Are you an active member of your denomination? [col]Yes [col]Yes [row]Are you close to anyone who is Homosexual(family, coworkers, friends, etc)? [col]Yes [col]Yes [row]Do you think Homosexuality is a choice or is it genetic? Both? [col]Choice. It is a sin to be repented of. [col]Genetic, with some possible environmental factors. [row])Does your denomination feel the same toward Homosexuality as you do? [col]Yes [col]Yes [row]How do you treat Homosexuals that wait on you at restaurants, or fix your car? [col]As anyone else [col]As anyone else [row]Do you support Civil Unions or Marriage for people who are Homosexual?[col]No [col]Yes -- full marriage equality now!!!!

Fides et Veritas

Post #9

And a big thinks to McCulloch. Everyone sure likes your format (as do I). So thank you for your unforseen contribution to this thread. :)

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Slopeshoulder »

[mrow][mcol]30 years ago[mcol]now [row]What denomination are you? [col]roman catholic [col] catholic humanist agnostic episcopalian buddhist dude[row]How old are you? [col]22[col]52[row]Are you an active member of your denomination? [col]Yes [col]Not a churchgoer [row]Are you close to anyone who is Homosexual(family, coworkers, friends, etc)? [col]Not knowingly, but I must have been[col]Yes, a few friends, many acquantances [row]Do you think Homosexuality is a choice or is it genetic? Both? [col]never thought about it, but probably genetic[col]mostly nature, some nurture. NOT a choice [row])Does your denomination feel the same toward Homosexuality as you do? [col]Yes [col]NOPE[row]How do you treat Homosexuals that wait on you at restaurants, or fix your car? [col]As anyone else, but I guess they gave me the creeps a bit, but not really[col]As anyone else, as I don't know, seek to know or take note of their orientation [row]Do you support Civil Unions or Marriage for people who are Homosexual?[col]Never came up [col]Yes -- full marriage equality now!!!!
Re: verses, I sincerely don't care. Never did.