We need more atheists/agnostics here

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

We need more atheists/agnostics here

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Recently, there has been more deists/theists showing up here. And the atheist representation I feel has been too few. How can we encourage more atheists/agnostics to participate? Are there any particular reasons we haven't been seeing more participation from atheists/agnostics?

Corvus
Guru

Post #2

Post by Corvus »

I can't say. Personally, I never comment on threads asking about a particular theological detail, or in a thread where, to answer it, I have to accept the existence of God. But there are plenty of other threads I can post in, and enjoy doing so.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

Yahweh
Student

Re: We need more atheists/agnostics here

Post #3

Post by Yahweh »

otseng wrote:Recently, there has been more deists/theists showing up here. And the atheist representation I feel has been too few. How can we encourage more atheists/agnostics to participate?

I'm working on it.

I've already posted a link to this website on the skeptic's messageboard which I'm a part of. They are not all atheists, but certainly enough to balance the atheist representation. I see in the past 1 day, I've recruited 2 users to the board (more to come, and I'll work out the token-referrals shortly).

(And I post enough on my own to represent at least 4 or 5 atheists, so there's a plus :D )
otseng wrote:Are there any particular reasons we haven't been seeing more participation from atheists/agnostics?
Possibly due in part atheists make up such a minority of religious conviction.
Regards,
Yahweh

otseng
Savant

Re: We need more atheists/agnostics here

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Yahweh wrote: I'm working on it.

I've already posted a link to this website on the skeptic's messageboard which I'm a part of. They are not all atheists, but certainly enough to balance the atheist representation. I see in the past 1 day, I've recruited 2 users to the board (more to come, and I'll work out the token-referrals shortly).
Welcome to our forum. Looks like you (and also possibly others) has brought a spike of people in this past few days. When they post that they were referred by you, I'll definitely award you your token referral credits.

perspective
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by perspective »

Like Corvus said, I never participate in threads where we are debating something that the thread starter assumes as true from the bible. If the bible holds no validity to me, it's pointless to derail others from a debate where they can accept the premise of the bible being valid. This limits a lot of my posts.

NuclearTBag
Student

Post #6

Post by NuclearTBag »

Maybe you could give more of an incentive to spark religous debates?
IE give extra tokens in a special forum debating the existence of god specifically, not other aspects of a faith?

otseng
Savant

Post #7

Post by otseng »

NuclearTBag wrote:Maybe you could give more of an incentive to spark religous debates?
IE give extra tokens in a special forum debating the existence of god specifically, not other aspects of a faith?
For any debate topic you start, you get an automatic 5 tokens. Also, every response in that thread that someone else posts will credit you a token. I feel this is sufficient incentive to start debates. Also, general debates on God's existence should belong in the Philosophy subforum.

fried beef sandwich
Student

Post #8

Post by fried beef sandwich »

well, i'm an atheist...

otseng
Savant

Post #9

Post by otseng »

fried beef sandwich wrote:well, i'm an atheist...
Welcome to the forum. And if you refer some more fellow atheists (or even non-atheists), you can get some bonus tokens.

dangerdan
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by dangerdan »

This is funny, I was thinking the exact opposite. :shock:

That we were running out of Christians and that Otseng has to do all the rebuttals on more complex issues! Actually, I wouldn&#8217;t mind seeing some skilled Muslims debate with some of us Agnostics / Atheists but I suppose it&#8217;s more out of the bounds of this website.