Is it coherent to favor the Death Penalty but not abortion?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Flail

Is it coherent to favor the Death Penalty but not abortion?

Post #1

Post by Flail »

Question for debate:

Is it coherent (logical and consistent) to be supportive of the Death Penalty for some criminals, while at the same time being against all manner of abortion?

faith
Scholar

Re: Is it coherent to favor the Death Penalty but not aborti

Post #2

Post by faith »

Flail wrote: Question for debate:

Is it coherent (logical and consistent) to be supportive of the Death Penalty for some criminals, while at the same time being against all manner of abortion?
To view your question Flail,

I think the answer is that the Death Penalty is a punishment.
But abortion is not a punishment but a way of getting rid of mistakes and avoiding taking responsibility.

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Furrowed Brow »

faith wrote:

To view your question Flail,

I think the answer is that the Death Penalty is a punishment.
But abortion is not a punishment but a way of getting rid of mistakes and avoiding taking responsibility.
Why is "punishment" a sufficient reason for killing an adult whilst "avoiding responsibility" an insufficient reason for killing a fetus?

Mr. LongView

hi..

Post #4

Post by Mr. LongView »

Yes.

When comparing apples and oranges, differences may be exposed.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by JoeyKnothead »

I propse the death penalty for the worst among us 'cause they ended up being it.

That woman, in consultation with her consultaters, makes the best decision about her health she can. I wouldn't a bit more make her decisions for her any more'n I'd be a-letting her make mine for me.

Clarity edit..
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Flail

Post #6

Post by Flail »

Many theists base their opposition to abortion by affirming their avid belief that all life is sacred and must be sanctified. Some of them support the death penalty. How is government killing of the criminally convicted consistent with the idea that all life is sacred? Should we not leave such extreme punishment of criminals to 'God', and the abortion issue to the mother? Is it consistent for government to kill criminals yet prevent mothers from terminating pregnancies?

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by 99percentatheism »

While I do not want the death penalty, the mindset of killing a sick and twisted murderer for their belief in the death penalty (of their victims) and not wanting to kill a person yet to be born and yet to have commited any actions worthy of execution (abortion), is a very coherent thought process.

Abortion would make far more sense to a healthy society, if all those involved in creating the of the unborn child, IF he or she must be put to death . . . were elimianted from society as well via death by the D & C method. Afterall, if an unborn child is guilty of a crime demanding his or her execution . . . obvioulsy so do his or her parents.

BUT, I don't desire the death penalty for anyone.

Dantalion
Guru

Post #8

Post by Dantalion »

99percentatheism wrote:

While I do not want the death penalty, the mindset of killing a sick and twisted murderer for their belief in the death penalty (of their victims) and not wanting to kill a person yet to be born and yet to have commited any actions worthy of execution (abortion), is a very coherent thought process.

Abortion would make far more sense to a healthy society, if all those involved in creating the of the unborn child, IF he or she must be put to death . . . were elimianted from society as well via death by the D & C method. Afterall, if an unborn child is guilty of a crime demanding his or her execution . . . obvioulsy so do his or her parents.

yeah, except that, a sick and twisted individual's decisions for taking a life yet not taking a stand against abortion have nothing to do with the OP.
Neither does assuming said person would be able to form a very cohesive thought process.
And you also make the assertion that abortion is 'killing a person'.

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by 99percentatheism »

Fustercluck wrote:
99percentatheism wrote:

yeah, except that, a sick and twisted individual's decisions for taking a life yet not taking a stand against abortion have nothing to do with the OP.
Neither does assuming said person would be able to form a very cohesive thought process.
And you also make the assertion that abortion is 'killing a person'.
If your body parts can be identified as your body parts by your DNA . . . abortion is 100% killing of a person. Even at conception, when (and where) all the person's DNA is present. Just because a person has not been given a name yet, makes no difference to reality. How many "people" are buried unnamed in graves all over the world?

As Seargent Friday says: Just that facts . . .

katiesevenfour
Student

Post #10

Post by katiesevenfour »

I find it hypocritical when abortion doctors are murdered by people who oppose abortion. So it's okay to kill a full grown human being but not okay to remove a cluster of cells. Which is essentially what's occuring when the process is carried out early in the pregnancy.