What Would Jesus Do?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

myth-one.com
Savant

What Would Jesus Do?

Post #1

Post by myth-one.com »

Today is June 20th 2012, the eleventh anniversary of the murders of five innocent children. Had they lived, Noah would be 18 years of age, John would be 16, Paul 14, Luke 13, and Mary 11. Instead, the Yates children, having died in their innocent or sinless years, are presently and eternally with God in heaven -- thus avoiding the possibility of eternal torment in hellfire had they lived past their innocent years.

This "Christian" theology was used by Andrea Yates to justify the murder of her children. Andrea told psychiatrist Philip Resnick she was failing as a mother and believed she had to kill the children to keep them from going to hell. "These were their innocent years. God would take them up." She is not alone in acting on this false theology -- others have used this method of certain salvation for their children in the past.

Christian pastors rushed to their pulpits proclaiming that the deceased children are indeed in Heaven -- thus affirming that the theology is true and correct.
In the year [color=red]2007[/color], [url=http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143549#143549]myth-one.com[/url] wrote:Question: Will any Christian ever be concerned that "Christian" theology can be used to justify the murder of innocent children?
To date the answer to the above question has been an overwhelmingly silent "No!"

So let's soften the question somewhat and see if any Christian can answer "Yes" or "No" to the following questions:

Question one: Should Christianity be content with the fact that it's theology is used to justify the murders of innocent children?

Question two: If Christian theology can be used to justify the murder of innocent children -- can that theology be correct?

Would God create such a system?

What Would Jesus Do?

onewithhim
Savant

Re: What Would Jesus Do?

Post #51

Post by onewithhim »

jeremiah1five wrote: [Replying to post 1 by myth-one.com]

There are no innocent children. You have your theology flawed in your attempt to understand the "age of accountability."

Make adjustments.

Romans 3:10 (KJV)
10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

We are all sinners from womb to tomb.

More to follow.
There ARE innocent children. Because they are born with Adam's imperfect genes they need redemption, but they are not responsible for Adam's sin. A child that is born has no idea about God or salvation or sin or anything. He must be given the opportunity to learn and make his own decisions.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #52

Post by onewithhim »

janavoss wrote: [Replying to post 25 by myth-one.com]

People who are desperate and/or crazy will sometimes do desperate and/or crazy things.

Recently in my city a woman was convicted of murdering her 5-year-old son. She said she did it because she was distraught over the terms of the custody agreement and did not want to return the boy to her ex and his mother. She was desperate (and/or crazy) and could not see any other way out of her situation. She also attempted to kill herself but failed.

People like this will find some way, any way, to justify their actions, otherwise how could they even think about killing their own children?

I agree with Elijah John that the ministers you refer to were trying to offer some bit of comfort to a community after a terrible event. This does not mean they were condoning what Andrea Yates did.

That a desperate (and/or crazy) person used Christian theology to justify her actions does not mean that the Christian community agrees with her justification.
True, but the clergy should tell the people what is taught in the Bible. They could've said something TRULY comforting, like the truth---the children will be resurrected "in the last day," like Jesus said. (John 5:28; John 6:44) They will "stand up again" (the meaning of "resurrection").

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #53

Post by myth-one.com »

janavoss wrote: That a desperate (and/or crazy) person used Christian theology to justify her actions does not mean that the Christian community agrees with her justification.
Three weeks after the drownings of her five children, Andrea Yates told psychiatrist Philip Resnick she was failing as a mother and believed she had to kill the children to keep them from going to hell. "These were their innocent years. God would take them up."

During those early weeks following the Yates children murders, one hundred percent of the Christians and pastors which I asked if the Yates children were in Heaven with God answered:

YES!

If that isn't agreement -- what is?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #54

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to post 52 by myth-one.com]

You have nothing to say about my posts #47, #48, #49?

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #55

Post by myth-one.com »

onewithhim wrote: [Replying to post 52 by myth-one.com]

You have nothing to say about my posts #47, #48, #49?
I said nothing because I totally agreed with everything you said.

I did not think I could add anything to your great comments.

Now I realize I was wrong.

I should have as a minimum clicked on the "Like this Post" so that you would know I read and supported your comments.

I have since done so.

Keep up the good work, OnewithHim! O:)
Matthew 5:16 wrote:Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
I saw your good works in those posts.

Perhaps you saved a life this day, or swayed someone in the right direction!

God bless you & have a wonderful day.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #56

Post by onewithhim »

Thank you. I am glad that you found my posts credible. I hope to somehow make others' lives easier by what I post here.

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #57

Post by liamconnor »

Where in the N.T. documents do we find answers to these questions? I am not interested in Augustine, or Calvin, or Aquinas. I am interested in specific answers given from Jesus or the Apostles. Not inferences or extrapolations from logion, but specific answers to the specific question.

That fact is, we have none.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #58

Post by myth-one.com »

liamconnor wrote: Where in the N.T. documents do we find answers to these questions? I am not interested in Augustine, or Calvin, or Aquinas. I am interested in specific answers given from Jesus or the Apostles. Not inferences or extrapolations from logion, but specific answers to the specific question.

These two questions?

Question one: Should Christianity be content with the fact that it's theology is used to justify the murders of innocent children?

Question two: If Christian theology can be used to justify the murder of innocent children -- can that theology be correct?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #59

Post by onewithhim »

myth-one.com wrote:
liamconnor wrote: Where in the N.T. documents do we find answers to these questions? I am not interested in Augustine, or Calvin, or Aquinas. I am interested in specific answers given from Jesus or the Apostles. Not inferences or extrapolations from logion, but specific answers to the specific question.

These two questions?

Haven't we discussed these questions?

I don't know of any justifications in the Scriptures for the murder of children. Therefore the second question is deprived of practical significance. It is moot.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #60

Post by myth-one.com »

onewithhim wrote:
myth-one.com wrote:

These two questions?

Haven't we discussed these questions?

I don't know of any justifications in the Scriptures for the murder of children. Therefore the second question is deprived of practical significance. It is moot.

I wasn't sure what liamconnor was talking about.

But very little of what passes for "Christian" theology today can be found in the scriptures.

For example, the immortal soul myth is found nowhere in the scriptures; while numerous statements can be found which substantiate the fact that man is mortal!

========================================================================

Here are scriptures used to create the "age of accountability" theology which many Christian preachers teach:

Sin is the transgression of God's laws, or commandments:
For sin is the transgression of the law. (I John 3:4)

But to commit a sin one must first recognize that the act is a sin:
To him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.  (James 4:17)

For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.       (Romans 5:13)

Once one reaches the age of accountability, he or she understands the commandments of God, and becomes liable for the wages of any sins they commit.

The wages of these sins is falsely taught by many Christians to be everlasting torture in hellfire.

Periodically, Christian parents murder their children while in their innocent years in order to send their children to Heaven and avoid their possibly burning in hellfire eternally:
Newsweek Magazine wrote:About 200 children are killed by their mothers every year according to Justice statistics. Sometimes moms blame the devil. Or they think they are saving their children from a hellish life by sending them to heaven.

So, these parents are using theology taught at some Christian churches to justify the murder of their innocent children.

Should Christianity be OK with the fact that it's theology was used to justify the murders of innocent children?