As an Atheist...

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

St. Anger
Apprentice

As an Atheist...

Post #1

Post by St. Anger »

Can an Atheist really believe in moral absolutes and still be a true atheist? If so, who sets what is and isn't a moral absolute? Who has the power?

naturalist griggsy
Student

Covenant morality for humanity- the presumption of humanism

Post #51

Post by naturalist griggsy »

My system covenant morality for humanity-the presumption of humanism, I claim that when theists use reason and facts, not those rants by those misanthropes of yore, they embrace humanism- that which embraces good consenquentailists for sentient beings and the environment.
God cannot ground morality but only could reflect it as Plato, that atheist hater, illuminates.We ground morality in the reality of inter-subjectivity for objective morality as we ground science and as with science it grows- we refine our evoloved moral sense and is debatable. Virtues and the common decencies transcends the cultural/socological relativism.
God would be that forked tongue behind the different, relativistic religius moralities!
Yes, atheists can achieve a decent morality as humanists! :D
Fr. Griggs rests in his Socratic ignorance and humble naturalism.
Logic is the bane of theists.
"Religion is mythinformation."
" Life is its own validation and reward and ultimate meaning to which neither God nor the future state can further validate :-k ."

mal
Student

Re: Covenant morality for humanity- the presumption of human

Post #52

Post by mal »

naturalist griggsy wrote: My system covenant morality for humanity-the presumption of humanism, I claim that when theists use reason and facts, not those rants by those misanthropes of yore, they embrace humanism- that which embraces good consenquentailists for sentient beings and the environment.
God cannot ground morality but only could reflect it as Plato, that atheist hater, illuminates.We ground morality in the reality of inter-subjectivity for objective morality as we ground science and as with science it grows- we refine our evoloved moral sense and is debatable. Virtues and the common decencies transcends the cultural/socological relativism.
God would be that forked tongue behind the different, relativistic religius moralities!
Yes, atheists can achieve a decent morality as humanists! :D
I really wish I could agree with this well written post.....but I can't because morality doesn't doesn't grow, it changes as it is faced with new challanges. One may say it evolves even, but to claim it grows includes the perspective that it grows for the better, that it improves when clearly it does not. Morals change which means a god that doesn't change could not have created morals.

naturalist griggsy
Student

Post #53

Post by naturalist griggsy »

Mal, thanks! We, with better discernment of consequences. refine morality. It depends upon our moral sense-empathy for one thing- that we have to make now for the planetary ethic, as Paul Kurtz ever urges.
As Richard Carrier^ and Steven Pinker* maintain, we have better morals than those of the ages of faith! :dance:
Many lag in one way or another the requisite empathy as they are bigoted towards groups.Is John -Paul Sartre right that bigotry reflects self-hatred? :(
The common decencies make for our inter-subjective morality.

Those who decry moral decay reflect a perverse sexual morality, I daresay! :shock:

Carrier "Sense and Goodness without God. His goal theory presented there is similar to mine.
* Pinker "Our Better Angels"
Fr. Griggs rests in his Socratic ignorance and humble naturalism.
Logic is the bane of theists.
"Religion is mythinformation."
" Life is its own validation and reward and ultimate meaning to which neither God nor the future state can further validate :-k ."

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Re: As an Atheist...

Post #54

Post by The Nice Centurion »

alive wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:54 pm
St. Anger wrote: Can an Atheist really believe in moral absolutes and still be a true atheist? If so, who sets what is and isn't a moral absolute? Who has the power?
Well first there is right and wrong...

If you know what that is and live by it then it doesnt matter what you believe..
Right and Wrong are relative terms❗🐸
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re:

Post #55

Post by TRANSPONDER »

naturalist griggsy wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:57 am Mal, thanks! We, with better discernment of consequences. refine morality. It depends upon our moral sense-empathy for one thing- that we have to make now for the planetary ethic, as Paul Kurtz ever urges.
As Richard Carrier^ and Steven Pinker* maintain, we have better morals than those of the ages of faith! :dance:
Many lag in one way or another the requisite empathy as they are bigoted towards groups.Is John -Paul Sartre right that bigotry reflects self-hatred? :(
The common decencies make for our inter-subjective morality.

Those who decry moral decay reflect a perverse sexual morality, I daresay! :shock:

Carrier "Sense and Goodness without God. His goal theory presented there is similar to mine.
* Pinker "Our Better Angels"
Good points. Moral sense -empathy, or I'd put it as a local -to -global ethics consensus, based on evolved instincts. I use the analogy of art and music, which are the constructs of humans, even though likely based on some communication -instincts hardly understood as yet. Yet just because there is no cosmic law of art and music and we made up the rules (though it is startlingly similar but also differs, culturally, then just because it is objectively true, wedon't dismissart and music as invalid, just because a god din't write a book telling us how to do it.

Similarly, there is no objective law of ethics, but we have evolved it, and it is no worse for that, and maybe better, because it can evolve.

Your point about Moral Decay is a good one. Every century fumes about the moral degeneracy of the coming age, and yet that age looks back at the former ones and it looks embarrassing that the restrictive and coercive mores of that time look reprehensible to us now.

Mae von H
Sage

Post #56

Post by Mae von H »

Flail wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:34 pm
St. Anger wrote: Can an Atheist really believe in moral absolutes and still be a true atheist? If so, who sets what is and isn't a moral absolute? Who has the power?
I don't think you can presuppose an atheist would agree with absolute objective moral principles. Morals arise out of explicit and implicit social contracts between members in a society to enhance social order and survival. No God required.
How come we have many if not all societies in which some members do not act according to the social order? There are those who demonstrate a lack of morals. How can this be?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #57

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Do you take that one Flail? Or shall I?