As an Atheist...

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

St. Anger
Apprentice

As an Atheist...

Post #1

Post by St. Anger »

Can an Atheist really believe in moral absolutes and still be a true atheist? If so, who sets what is and isn't a moral absolute? Who has the power?

alive
Sage

Re: As an Atheist...

Post #2

Post by alive »

St. Anger wrote: Can an Atheist really believe in moral absolutes and still be a true atheist? If so, who sets what is and isn't a moral absolute? Who has the power?
Well first there is right and wrong...

If you know what that is and live by it then it doesnt matter what you believe..

Morphine
Sage

Post #3

Post by Morphine »

At first I didn't believe in absolute morals. But to an extent, I do now.

To my knowledge, everyone one agrees that forcing someone to have sex is wrong. But here is where it gets complicated. How serious is the bad deed? That varies from person to person.What should be the punishment without it becoming immoral? What is and isn't considered "force". Someone may be afraid to fight off someone who is twice their size. They might just tell the person to stop. Some people think that if the person isn't kicking and/or screaming, it's ok. They're just playing hard to get.

mal
Student

Post #4

Post by mal »

Morphine wrote: At first I didn't believe in absolute morals. But to an extent, I do now.

To my knowledge, everyone one agrees that forcing someone to have sex is wrong. But here is where it gets complicated. How serious is the bad deed? That varies from person to person.What should be the punishment without it becoming immoral? What is and isn't considered "force". Someone may be afraid to fight off someone who is twice their size. They might just tell the person to stop. Some people think that if the person isn't kicking and/or screaming, it's ok. They're just playing hard to get.
So is having sex with a child who doesn’t (or at least is said to) know any better…..the Christian Bible doesn’t believe this is immoral, in fact gods most favorite men King David/Solomon Married 11 year olds. Why is this important------it’s important because if morals come from god like some foolish people here believe, then having sex with children is Okay OR morals are a cultural depiction and develop as a society develops and the never changing Christian Judean god really doesn’t play a part in morality.

Flail

Post #5

Post by Flail »

Morphine wrote: At first I didn't believe in absolute morals. But to an extent, I do now.

Legal principles have this problem covered as best as it can be....in criminal law the nuances you refer to are always considered in light of definitions and jury instructions. I have tried numerous rape cases and instructions are fashioned by the court to address these issues on a case by case basis.

Flail

Post #6

Post by Flail »

St. Anger wrote: Can an Atheist really believe in moral absolutes and still be a true atheist? If so, who sets what is and isn't a moral absolute? Who has the power?
I don't think you can presuppose an atheist would agree with absolute objective moral principles. Morals arise out of explicit and implicit social contracts between members in a society to enhance social order and survival. No God required.

4gold
Sage

Post #7

Post by 4gold »

Flail wrote: I don't think you can presuppose an atheist would agree with absolute objective moral principles. Morals arise out of explicit and implicit social contracts between members in a society to enhance social order and survival. No God required.
My society wants to annihilate your society. We claim it would enhance our social order and survival if you were gone. Your society, wanting to survive and maintain a social order, disagrees with my society. Are you saying your society has no grounds for appeal since your society claims morality is merely social contract?

Haven

Post #8

Post by Haven »

Although I don't consider myself an "atheist" for many reasons, I disbelieve in gods and would qualify under most definitions of "atheist." I'm also a moral absolutist: I believe that some things (such as child molestation) are objectively absolutely wrong, and that others (such as saving innocent human lives) are objectively absolutely right. The moral theory I subscribe to is called sentimentalism, or moral sense theory. Ontologically, these moral absolutes are grounded in human sentiment and emotion, such as empathy, love, and justice.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Goat »

Haven wrote: Although I don't consider myself an "atheist" for many reasons, I disbelieve in gods and would qualify under most definitions of "atheist." I'm also a moral absolutist: I believe that some things (such as child molestation) are objectively absolutely wrong, and that others (such as saving innocent human lives) are objectively absolutely right. The moral theory I subscribe to is called sentimentalism, or moral sense theory. Ontologically, these moral absolutes are grounded in human sentiment and emotion, such as empathy, love, and justice.
Well, you know.. I can't subscribe to it be 'objectively wrong'.. it certainly is SUBJECTIVELY wrong. I certainly view it as wrong, but look at the tribes of New Guinea, and how they routinely treated their children. ... and child molestation is part of a lot of African tribes' culture. I view it as wrong.. being brought up in my own western culture, .. but they do not. In harsher environments, the 'empathy , love and justice' seem to go out the window.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

alive
Sage

Post #10

Post by alive »

Goat wrote:
Haven wrote: Although I don't consider myself an "atheist" for many reasons, I disbelieve in gods and would qualify under most definitions of "atheist." I'm also a moral absolutist: I believe that some things (such as child molestation) are objectively absolutely wrong, and that others (such as saving innocent human lives) are objectively absolutely right. The moral theory I subscribe to is called sentimentalism, or moral sense theory. Ontologically, these moral absolutes are grounded in human sentiment and emotion, such as empathy, love, and justice.
Well, you know.. I can't subscribe to it be 'objectively wrong'.. it certainly is SUBJECTIVELY wrong. I certainly view it as wrong, but look at the tribes of New Guinea, and how they routinely treated their children. ... and child molestation is part of a lot of African tribes' culture. I view it as wrong.. being brought up in my own western culture, .. but they do not. In harsher environments, the 'empathy , love and justice' seem to go out the window.

I live by if I wouldn't want it done to me or my family then it is wrong...But I see what your saying that if I grew up in New Guinea I might allow somethings that I would see as wrong here because of a culture issue...Also makes me wonder if I was born in Afganastan would I be a Musslim that believes in God...They are 10 times more religious than Christians and Im sure if I was a kid I would get many lashing to differ from it..Hmmmmm?