Books

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

theopoesis
Guru

Books

Post #1

Post by theopoesis »

I thought it might be a good idea to share some books that we'd each recommend in terms of apologetics. Here are a few on some specific issues that are helpful:

Thomas Morris - The Logic of God Incarnate - a philosophical defense of the incarnation.

Eta Linnemann - Biblical Criticism on Trial - a statistical analysis of historical critical claims against the New Testament such as pseudo-Pauline authorship, for example.

Kenneth Kitchen - On the Reliability of the Old Testament - this is a good survey of archaeological evidence related to the Old Testament. However, I'd like to qualify this with a few comments. First, I'd hope I don't see people around here saying "this artifact shows David existed, therefore Christianity is true." That's way too big of a leap. Second, Kitchen is the most conservative out there. Archaeology can be interpreted different ways, so you'd be well off to read someone critical of OT history too, like Finkelstein. But, if nothing else, this is a good defense against the "the OT events and people never existed" approach.

Anyone else have books to recommend?

Poecilid

Books

Post #2

Post by Poecilid »

It's not quite fancy-pants apologetics, but Light Reading by Matthew Jacobs is a bunch of short stories, some of which are pretty good, which look at issues facing Christians, including the existence of God. Best of all it's free online from jacobslightreading. I sometimes think that stories that capture some of the big ideas are more persuasive arguments than you get in the big texts... but that may be because of my own attention span!

puddleglum
Sage

Re: Books

Post #3

Post by puddleglum »

Poecilid wrote: I sometimes think that stories that capture some of the big ideas are more persuasive arguments than you get in the big texts
Jesus apparently felt the same way. That is why he used so many parables in his teaching. :)
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV