What Is The Purpose Of A Soul?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Nirvana-Eld
Apprentice

What Is The Purpose Of A Soul?

Post #1

Post by Nirvana-Eld »

This is not one of those vague "meaning of life" quesiotns (at least I hope it isn't) But it is something I have never seen discussed or debated so i think it would be interesting. Anyone want to try and tackle this one?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: What Is The Purpose Of A Soul?

Post #2

Post by bernee51 »

Nirvana-Eld wrote:This is not one of those vague "meaning of life" quesiotns (at least I hope it isn't) But it is something I have never seen discussed or debated so i think it would be interesting. Anyone want to try and tackle this one?
Would you first like to define what you mean by 'soul'?
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

ShieldAxe
Scholar

Post #3

Post by ShieldAxe »

It's purpose is so people can feel secure that their essence will exist perpetually.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

We like to think that the universe is not deterministic. Specifically, we like to think that the wee part of the universe that is our own self is not deterministic. We are made up of molecules and atoms. The behaviour of atoms and molecules is either determined by the laws of classical physics or random according to the laws of quantum physics. In order to pretend that we really have an free independent will, we had to invent a source of causation that is part of our selves but not determined by the physical world. Hence the soul.

harvey1
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by harvey1 »

McCulloch wrote:We like to think that the universe is not deterministic. Specifically, we like to think that the wee part of the universe that is our own self is not deterministic. We are made up of molecules and atoms. The behaviour of atoms and molecules is either determined by the laws of classical physics or random according to the laws of quantum physics. In order to pretend that we really have an free independent will, we had to invent a source of causation that is part of our selves but not determined by the physical world. Hence the soul.
I'll pretend that you didn't have to say that. #-o

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by McCulloch »

harvey1 wrote:I'll pretend that you didn't have to say that. #-o
:lol: If I chose not to say that, then the molecules in my brain would have reacted in such a way that the neurons would have fired in such a way as to keep me from saying that. Unless you know of something in my brain that does not follow the laws of physics, then yes, I had to say that.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: What Is The Purpose Of A Soul?

Post #7

Post by bernee51 »

Nirvana-Eld wrote:This is not one of those vague "meaning of life" quesiotns (at least I hope it isn't) But it is something I have never seen discussed or debated so i think it would be interesting. Anyone want to try and tackle this one?
What is the purpose of a soul? A soul is the receptacle for all thought, intellect, emotions, memories, hopes, dreams, aspirations, suffering, loves, joys, hates, sorrows, regrets, creativity, spite, knowledge, learning, understanding, empathy, sympathy, pity, greed, lust, desire, initiative, and instinct.

It exists while we exist, and when we die it perishes. It is ephemeral. For another, it is in constant flux. Always growing, changing, learning, and adapting; until the day it dies
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by BeHereNow »

The soul has no purpose.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by bernee51 »

BeHereNow wrote:The soul has no purpose.
My point exactly - but you were more succinct.

Nisargadatta Maharaj

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by McCulloch »

BeHereNow wrote:The soul has no purpose.
The idea of soul has a purpose or else various streams of humanity would not have invented it and clung to it for so long. The fact that it cannot be shown that there is a soul or that the idea of having a soul has never been validated, shows that there really must be some social, historical or psychological value in the idea of soul.