What Is The Purpose Of A Soul?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Nirvana-Eld
Apprentice

What Is The Purpose Of A Soul?

Post #1

Post by Nirvana-Eld »

This is not one of those vague "meaning of life" quesiotns (at least I hope it isn't) But it is something I have never seen discussed or debated so i think it would be interesting. Anyone want to try and tackle this one?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #41

Post by bernee51 »

Sender wrote:
Sender wrote: Biggest one being Jesus is Lord.
It says in the Bhagavad Gita that Krishna is Lord. Why is that not true?
If you think it is true, tell me why or why not.
Because it says it is true in the Bhagavad Gita.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Diana Holberg
Apprentice

Post #42

Post by Diana Holberg »

Sender wrote:
Diana Holberg wrote: But only the human soul is also spirit.
That is not Bible based. The spirit and soul are separate. Where are you coming from with diferent levels of spirits?
Where in the Bible do you find the soul and the human spirit separated?

The human soul/spirit is "a little lower than God" (Ps 8:5) and "lower than the angels" (Heb 2:7)... but only "for a little while" (Heb 2:7).
"No amount of evidence is proof to those who deny that they live in faith." - Diana Holberg

Sender
Sage

Post #43

Post by Sender »

Diana Holberg wrote:
Sender wrote:
Diana Holberg wrote: But only the human soul is also spirit.
That is not Bible based. The spirit and soul are separate. Where are you coming from with diferent levels of spirits?
Where in the Bible do you find the soul and the human spirit separated?

The human soul/spirit is "a little lower than God" (Ps 8:5) and "lower than the angels" (Heb 2:7)... but only "for a little while" (Heb 2:7).
Hebrews 4:12, The word of God is sharper than any two edge sword, it penetrates even to dividing body, soul and spirit.

Diana Holberg
Apprentice

Post #44

Post by Diana Holberg »

Sender wrote:Hebrews 4:12, The word of God is sharper than any two edge sword, it penetrates even to dividing body, soul and spirit.
How do you read a "two-edge sword" cutting three ways? Doesn't that make it "body" and "soul and spirit"?
"No amount of evidence is proof to those who deny that they live in faith." - Diana Holberg

Sender
Sage

Post #45

Post by Sender »

Diana Holberg wrote:
Sender wrote:Hebrews 4:12, The word of God is sharper than any two edge sword, it penetrates even to dividing body, soul and spirit.
How do you read a "two-edge sword" cutting three ways? Doesn't that make it "body" and "soul and spirit"?
Take that up with the author. I think you slice a loaf a bread, then with the same knife you slice it again., you don't use another knife because it has only one side sharpened.

Diana Holberg
Apprentice

Post #46

Post by Diana Holberg »

Not to get too far off topic, but what translation did you quote? None of mine have the word "body" in there...

Anyway, there is a division between earthly soul and spirit. In fact, that is why we debate these subjects. As we learn about our earthly soul in relation to God, we become more aware of our spirituality. "Salvation" is the transformation of the soul into pure spirit.

Sender
Sage

Post #47

Post by Sender »

Diana Holberg wrote:Not to get too far off topic, but what translation did you quote? None of mine have the word "body" in there...

Anyway, there is a division between earthly soul and spirit. In fact, that is why we debate these subjects. As we learn about our earthly soul in relation to God, we become more aware of our spirituality. "Salvation" is the transformation of the soul into pure spirit.
I was quoting from memory. In place of body actual text reads"bone and marrow", which means body.

Jesus said "Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles." Matthew 12:18. I maintain they are separate, and the Bible seems to back that up.

Diana Holberg
Apprentice

Post #48

Post by Diana Holberg »

Sender wrote:Jesus said "Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles." Matthew 12:18.
Jesus was quoting Isaiah the Prophet, and those are God's words. Are you now saying that God has a soul separate from His Spirit?
I maintain they are separate, and the Bible seems to back that up.
Only taken out of context.

Sender
Sage

Post #49

Post by Sender »

Diana Holberg wrote:
Sender wrote:Jesus said "Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles." Matthew 12:18.
Jesus was quoting Isaiah the Prophet, and those are God's words. Are you now saying that God has a soul separate from His Spirit?
I maintain they are separate, and the Bible seems to back that up.
Only taken out of context.
I have learned along time ago, why debate the unimportant. If you were to convince me the soul and spirit are one, ok great. Has nothing to do with mine or your salvation. This is doctrine for churchres to have in their covenants, and they go about doing church business.

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. I Thessalonians. 5:23.

Therefore I will not refrain my mouth; I will speak in the anguish of my spirit; I will complain in the bitterness of my soul. Job 7:11.

Diana Holberg
Apprentice

Post #50

Post by Diana Holberg »

Sender wrote:I have learned along time ago, why debate the unimportant.
If you consider these things unimportant, it makes sense not to debate them. I agree.

I would prefer not to start hurling Scripture at each other -- I don't believe it's proper use of "the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God".