Crutch or Comfort

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Sender
Sage

Crutch or Comfort

Post #1

Post by Sender »

Whenever you feel scared or sometimes desperate, as an atheist who do you call on in times of crisis, , or what do you do? Someone posed the question...what is different between Christianity and other religions? After a lifetime of searching (off and on), I have(subject to change), realized my answer. And that is I don't know. And part of THAT is because I don't know the answer I just posed to you. Throughout my life I have been hot and cold in my relationship with the Lord. Married but chased woman, divorce, re-marry. Never had a drinking problem, but have smoked allot of pot in my day. Honest otherwise and pay my bills. I could <b>almost</b> retire today at forty seven if I chose to. So anyway I have spent allot of time having a relationship with Jesus, pretty much since I was very young. I have not really doubted God exists. I don't know why that is, my parents could of cared less. It just seems Jesus has been there my whole life, even when I would tell him to go away and eat shit. But as a friend sometimesI would not talk to him maybe but a couple times a year. Other times I would be so close to him and be totally enveloped in him that it is so hard to explain. But even so in all of my travels he would be with me even if I wasn't talking to him. But always in the back of my mind it has given me a comfort in feeling safe. In motels in a strange town.Contemplating life while working out running the dirt roads on the back of the base will serving in the Marines in Japan. To being there when my children had/have a high fever or worse. Driving in a terrible storm. The Bible said God will send the comforter(Holy Spirit), which is part of the truine God.

Now some will argue that is a crutch for mindless nimbelsils. Please don't think that. With all kinds of effort and energy and even money going in to exposing God as a fraud, has that really happened yet beyond a shadow of a doubt? I suppose atheist could say the same thing, and to many they are right. It doesn't matter. All the slide rules and equations and theories can not measure that personal relationship, when you allow him to be your best friend.

The Bible in Job talks about the "streams in the sea", yet we as a people we didn't know about that until 1977. We discovered light causes wind 150 years ago, written in Job hundreds and hundreds of years ago. Noah's instruction's regarding dimentions to build a boat, 150 feet longer than any wooden ship we can build today. The navy has done studies and concluded(even if it doesn't exist) if you were to build a wooden boat to withstand a world wide flood, those are the EXACT dimentions it would take for it to survive. That was written forty forty hundred years ago! Thousands of exciting examples are within these pages. "As far as the East is from the West", is very cool because had it of said as far as the North is from the South you have a measurable distance because of the Poles. Just so many cool things to read about in the Bible.

In summary. Who do you have in your life that is always going to be there no matter what? Who I may add is four dimentional, and will still be there for you beyond the grave? I don't belive that can be measured. I would feel so naked and exposed and vulnerable if I didn't have that.

Again a crutch? Or a comfort? I believe in the Comforter who gives you that serenity and peace. Where does your inner peace come from? Just because we as Christians have our "spiritual" side covered, doesn't mean we have shut our brains off at the door. You can have both! God not only loves us he loves the sciences as well. As an Atheist who is your comforter?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: Crutch or Comfort

Post #21

Post by bernee51 »

upnorthfan wrote:
It's source is the Bible you are correct.
So why should the bible be believed when all others scriptures are seen as "the false and profane writings on which all other faiths are based".
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Sender
Sage

Post #22

Post by Sender »

bernee51 wrote:
upnorthfan wrote:
So why should the bible be believed when all others scriptures are seen as "the false and profane writings on which all other faiths are based".
I wouldn't know because I believe. You tell me, why do you doubt Gods power?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #23

Post by bernee51 »

upnorthfan wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
upnorthfan wrote:
I wouldn't know because I believe.

So you believe. Why the bible and not something else?
upnorthfan wrote: You tell me, why do you doubt Gods power?
The god of which you speak, the JCI god is a myth. The same as the gods in the other scriptures in which you do not beleive.

Ergo, god has no power. The idea of god, however, certainly has power over a great many - yourself included.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

AlAyeti
Guru

Post #24

Post by AlAyeti »

But, doesn't the "idea" of no god have a far greater power over those that believe their opinion is correct?

Atheists are powerful political voices in America and in your case worlwide, demanding that all accept their views or face a trip to court to answer a lawsuit? Or be ridiculed as lunatics?

The Constitution is nothing but words written downn by fallible and, in fact, traitorous men.

Why follow a ridiculous document of treason? Is it not easier to see the folly in a pact between liars as worthless to those ascribed to religion?

What holds sway over the actions of a non-godian? Since to them nothing is an absolute? Is that not the most dangerous condition for the human bneing to dwell in?

Certainly the killing fields lend a voice.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by bernee51 »

AlAyeti wrote:But, doesn't the "idea" of no god have a far greater power over those that believe their opinion is correct?
Sorry one cannot have an 'idea' of something that does not exist.
AlAyeti wrote: Atheists are powerful political voices in America and in your case worlwide, demanding that all accept their views or face a trip to court to answer a lawsuit?
I care not one whit whether or not you accept my view. I object to you attempting to force your views on me. I object to you presuming to 'choose' for others.
AlAyeti wrote: Or be ridiculed as lunatics?
Not all, only some.
AlAyeti wrote: The Constitution is nothing but words written downn by fallible and, in fact, traitorous men.
That is your problem, not mine. If you don't like it change it or leave.

AlAyeti wrote: What holds sway over the actions of a non-godian? Since to them nothing is an absolute?
You are speaking for all "non-godians" - something you are not equipped to do.
AlAyeti wrote: Is that not the most dangerous condition for the human bneing to dwell in?
No self delusion is much more dangerous.
AlAyeti wrote: Certainly the killing fields lend a voice.
Yep. Palestine in the 11th-12th century was a blood bath.

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Sender
Sage

Post #26

Post by Sender »

Sidebar: Take me through how to highlight a certain part of someones post you want to respond to, and continueing on, how to highlight from multiple posts?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #27

Post by bernee51 »

upnorthfan wrote:Sidebar: Take me through how to highlight a certain part of someones post you want to respond to, and continueing on, how to highlight from multiple posts?
Not sure exactly what you mean?

Sender
Sage

Post #28

Post by Sender »

...and finally, are we done with the original topic? We got off track

AlAyeti
Guru

Post #29

Post by AlAyeti »

Bernee: "Yep. Palestine in the 11th-12th century was a blood bath."

///

Is this a reference to the war of conquest started by the Muslims towards people that didn't believe in their value system?

The reference in terms of what atheist communists have done to innocent people would be eerily similar.

Now do you think that millions and millions and millions of people were killed in those wars in Palestine in the 11th and 12th centuries?

Somehow I don't think it was even close to what transpires and has transpired in communist atheist "believing" societies.

Now the belief in a deity or deities predates non-godian concepts so in fact atheism was contemplated after the fact of deity worship. It most certainly is a belief in nothing conjured up from an idea founded sometime in the history of human kind. And believe me I do agree with your opinion about delusion being dangerous.

Think of the gulags in Siberia for example. How many Christians and Jews suffered there? Not all of course. . . only some.

It seems what gives an atheist comfort is akin to the sword of allah.

Sender
Sage

Post #30

Post by Sender »

[quote