Question about Christianity and my church

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Question about Christianity and my church

Post #1

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

Mitt Romney is running for President. He is a member of the CoJCoLDS. Also I belong to this church. I have noticed that many Christians hate my church. Why? We are Christians as they are. We believe in Jesus Christ and the Bible as the word of God, like they do it. Why do they hate us?

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Re: Question about Christianity and my church

Post #2

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

The Mormon wrote: Mitt Romney is running for President. He is a member of the CoJCoLDS. Also I belong to this church. I have noticed that many Christians hate my church. Why? We are Christians as they are. We believe in Jesus Christ and the Bible as the word of God, like they do it. Why do they hate us?
Not quite sure but I suspect it is related to the idea of recent revelation via Joseph Smith as opposed to sola scriptura where the scripture is allegedly from Apostolic times. Catholics are not that big on sola scriptura, adding in Tradition etc. But again it is all supposedly traceable to Apostolic times. For Catholics anything new is to come about via the ex cathedra process. And that is not really new, just old stuff getting officially sanctioned. Protestants differ greatly in their interpretations but it is interpretations of the 'one and only' Bible.

There is not a whole lot of LDS around New York City, so I am not acquainted with any first hand discussions of the matter as I am with, for example, the intellectual Battle Royal between Missouri Synod Lutheranism and Roman Catholicism. But the above is my best guess.
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

The Mormon wrote: ... many Christians hate my church. Why? ... Why do they hate us?
Because your prophet had an alleged revelation from God that significantly challenged the established theological traditions of those who considered themselves faithful to God. Just like they did about eighteen hundred years earlier.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by sleepyhead »

The Mormon wrote: Mitt Romney is running for President. He is a member of the CoJCoLDS. Also I belong to this church. I have noticed that many Christians hate my church. Why? We are Christians as they are. We believe in Jesus Christ and the Bible as the word of God, like they do it. Why do they hate us?
Hello Mormon,

Since there are billions of Christians, you can also say that many Christians eat spinage everyday. Most Christians don't think much about mormonism. Most of the Christians who do hate your church are either ex members or are pastors (or some other leadership position) in the church.

With regards to ex-members you can easily research the reasons why they hate your church at various websites dedicated to that purpose.
With regards to pastors and the like, Moses hitched his wagon to the abrahamic faith system and the leaders of that faith system rebelled. Jesus hitched his wagon to the Jewish faith system and the leaders of that faith system rebelled. Joseph Smith hitched his wagon to the Christian faith system and the leaders of that faith system rebelled. Many people have hitched there wagon to the Mormon faith system and the leaders of your church attempt to discredit these other branches at every opportunity.
Whether or not you are Christian depends on how it is defined.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

@ Sleepyhead (in German "Schlafmütze"),

Are you a former member of the church? If yes, what did get you to leave the church?

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Nickman »

Its not just christians TM. It is also exmembers and anyone who sees the ridiculousness of the faith. Christians scoff at the lds faith because it is not biblical by any means. I. Scoff at it because I was a member and found the truth behind it. The Book of Abraham is a verifiable sham, which discredits JS as having any translating abilities or any inspiration from a deity. There are so many more reasons why your faith is built on false premises. You may want to look into it a little more.

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by sleepyhead »

The Mormon wrote: @ Sleepyhead (in German "Schlafmütze"),

Are you a former member of the church? If yes, what did get you to leave the church?
Hello the mormon,

Yes. I was a convert to the church back 40 years ago. I was active for about a year, inactive a few more, and then was excomunicated after I joined the Church of Christ (temple lot). During that year I devoted a great deal of time studying the standard works. There were several things about the church that didn't seem right. The song "praise to the man" seemed a little to much like worship to me. the definitions of goispel and priestcraft as given in the BOM didn't conform to the churches definition. In Lehi's dream of holding on to the rod of iron, regardless of the mist, I interpreted the mist to be new revelation which contradicted the old. Of course this was all 40 years ago and soon after I left I found the Edgar Cayce material which I have found to have a value.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

@ Sleepyhead,

I have never heard something from this church. Is it, how I suspect, a splitting-off of my church? What is the difference between the two churches?
Also I was inactive in the church for some time. I even was excommunicated (because I had doubt about some actions of the bishop); but I was baptized again. I had prayed about this and received an answer from God. And I received a testimony. I asked for it around the renewed baptism.
I respect your decision. Perhaps it was even good for you. I could does live without the church, after what God had shown to me by the Holy Ghost.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Nickman »

sleepyhead wrote:
The Mormon wrote: @ Sleepyhead (in German "Schlafmütze"),

Hello the mormon,

Yes. I was a convert to the church back 40 years ago. I was active for about a year, inactive a few more, and then was excomunicated after I joined the Church of Christ (temple lot). During that year I devoted a great deal of time studying the standard works. There were several things about the church that didn't seem right. The song "praise to the man" seemed a little to much like worship to me. the definitions of goispel and priestcraft as given in the BOM didn't conform to the churches definition. In Lehi's dream of holding on to the rod of iron, regardless of the mist, I interpreted the mist to be new revelation which contradicted the old. Of course this was all 40 years ago and soon after I left I found the Edgar Cayce material which I have found to have a value.
I remember "praise to man" being one of the hyms most frequently used. I never would join in singing it because it felt wrong. It seemed more and more like a cult. The members who are so enamoured with JS and the current prophets have blinders on.

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

Nickman wrote: I remember "praise to man" being one of the hyms most frequently used. I never would join in singing it because it felt wrong. It seemed more and more like a cult. The members who are so enamoured with JS and the current prophets have blinders on.
We honor Joseph Smith, we honor the living prophet; but we primarily honor Jesus Christ! My church is neither a sect nor a cult. You do not have to believe to everything what my church teaches. But you should be so tolerant to accept my faith. I also accept what you believe although much of this seems strange to me.