Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Do any non theists meditate?

Post #1

Post by sleepyhead »

Hello,

I've noticed that non theists appear to also not believe in life after death and that got me wondering, what there take is on meditation.

Since unlike prayer the claimed purpose of meditation woud not hinge on whether there was a God or not. In other words your not giving God a laundry list of things you want him to do. Here's the wikipedia definition:

Meditation is a practice in which an individual trains the mind and/or induces a mode of consciousness to realize some benefit,[1] although it can be argued meditation is a goal in and of itself.[2]

So I have the following questions;
1. Did you practice meditation at least once during the last 12 months?
2. Assuming you were at one time a theist, did you meditate then.
3. Is there something about non theism which debunks meditation. If so what is it.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Re: Do any non theists meditate?

Post #2

Post by Furrowed Brow »

sleepyhead wrote:1. Did you practice meditation at least once during the last 12 months?
No.
Never been a theist or at least not since age about 10, and I have never attempted meditation.
3. Is there something about non theism which debunks meditation. If so what is it.
I don't think non theism debunks meditation. I guess it could have its benefits like lowering blood pressure and the such, but it is not something I've ever considered.

But is meditation just a technique for relaxation. At least that is how I have regarded it.

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

Yes, I generally meditate late on Friday night after a week of work and classes. I am young and limber enough to easily do a full lotus with a pillow under my bottom. I meditate on nothing at all, simply emptying my mind of all the unnecessary baggage of the week in preparation for different activities on the weekend.

No, but then my slide away from theism started when I was 11 and finished by 13. Not many people meditate at that age.

Not at all. The neurological mechanisms of meditation have been studied pretty deeply in recent years. It is a capability and function of the normal human brain. Nothing 'supernatural' about meditation itself, although meditation on religious themes is a common practice in some quarters.
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by LiamOS »

My response is largely in line with that above mine, but I don't so much 'meditate' as have a lie down and relax, usually somewhere nice like the edge of a cliff or a remote beach at night. If all else fails, somewhere >500m above sea level at night will do.

playhavock
Guru

Post #5

Post by playhavock »

I did and do meditate as a Christan and now non - christan. I do not do it that offen or for very long. I simply close my eyes and focus on breathing in though the nose and out of the mouth, sometimes I will stand on one foot to focus on balance or sometimes I will just sit crossleged and close my eyes - it seems that touching the fingertips together helps sometimes and other times is a distraction, folding hands seems more of a distraction now that I am not into praying. I medatate in this way to calm down from time to time, but I know that it does nothing supernatural or specal other then calm my own internal brain.

Richard81
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Richard81 »

I like to sit down in the middle of the woods on a clear day and just enjoy the view and the nice clean, cold air. Im not sure if that counts as meditating, but it is very peaceful and relaxing.
"Faith is the attempt to coerce truth to surrender to whim. In simple terms, it is trying to breathe life into a lie by trying to outshine reality with the beauty of wishes. Faith is the refuge of fools, the ignorant, and the deluded, not of thinking, rational men." - Terry Goodkind.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #7

Post by Bust Nak »

sleepyhead wrote:1. Did you practice meditation at least once during the last 12 months?
Yes, I know a breathing technique that helps my body and mind relax.
n/a
No, meditation is as mundane as listening to gentle music to help relax ones body and mind.

Wootah
Savant

Post #8

Post by Wootah »

Do any non-theists regard meditation as spiritual or as I can see from the current response they regard it as good for changing our physiological states?

That is consistent with my view of yoga and meditation.

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

Wootah wrote: Do any non-theists regard meditation as spiritual or as I can see from the current response they regard it as good for changing our physiological states?

That is consistent with my view of yoga and meditation.
Depends on what you mean by 'spiritual'. To me meditation is mental not physiological. Clearing out the baggage not needed at the moment to allow taking on new baggage is what it is all about for me.
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

PhilosoRaptor
Student

Post #10

Post by PhilosoRaptor »

Yep. Not that frequently, maybe a few times per month, but I enjoy it when I do remember to do it.
Yes, in a manner of speaking. There were some "retreats" and summer camps I went to where something akin to meditation was used to focus on a particular verse or phrase, for example. It was "group" meditation, which was quite pleasant. Not exactly the same as what I do now, which is more focused on emptying my mind, relaxing, breathing very deeply through my stomach, etc.
No. Meditation has nothing necessarily to do with God that I'm aware of, therefore non-theism can't really debunk it.