May one insult the pope satirically?

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Hermione
Student

May one insult the pope satirically?

Post #1

Post by Hermione »

The magazine"Titanic" had taken a picture from the pope on the front and the back cover. Take a look by yourself:

It was all about that there was a leaky place in the Vatican by which information came to the public. The "leaky place" was the pope according to the magazine Titanic. In front peed and behind into the trousers shitted.
What do you think about this?[/img]

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by LiamOS »

I'm all for satirising authority figures, particularly ones who are traditionally not questioned, but this is just tasteless, and isn't really making any kind of point.

They could at least have photoshopped it well.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

AkiThePirate wrote: I'm all for satirising authority figures, particularly ones who are traditionally not questioned, but this is just tasteless, and isn't really making any kind of point.
I agree, this is about as tasteless as it gets.

And what's the point supposed to be? That Catholicism is falling apart?

This is just totally tasteless. It's disgusting what people will stoop to really.

I mean, as much as I disagree with Catholicism I see no reason to take it out on the Pope. I'm sure he's a very loving man who means well. At least I certainly hope so.

This is just a disgrace to humanity in general.

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: May one insult the pope satirically?

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

Hermione wrote: It was all about that there was a leaky place in the Vatican by which information came to the public. The "leaky place" was the pope according to the magazine Titanic.
Well, I confess I don't know the details of the gossip. If the Pope really was "leaking" information to the public that he wasn't supposed to be making public then maybe there's some justification for it. So I can't really speak to that issue without knowing all the details of what is being alleged.

bluethread
Savant

Post #5

Post by bluethread »

I plan on staying inside. Who knows when the roman catholics will take to the streets and start burning Angela Merkel in effegy and storming the german embassies. Then again, the muslims didn't riot until the youtube video was translated into arabic. Let me know when the latin version of the magazine comes out.

Fuzzy Dunlop
Guru

Post #6

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

I agree that it's tasteless. But what's wrong with tasteless? Are we worried his feelings are going to get hurt? I don't think that this is especially worse than what you see in everyday political cartoons. Authority figures should be regularly mocked lest we start to take them too seriously (religious ones especially).
Divine Insight wrote:I mean, as much as I disagree with Catholicism I see no reason to take it out on the Pope.
Why not? He's the guy Catholicism has selected as their public representative. Isn't this part of his job?
Divine Insight wrote:This is just a disgrace to humanity in general.
It's a joke about the pope pooping his pants. I think we should reserve phrases like "disgrace to humanity" for more serious problems.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #7

Post by Divine Insight »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote: Why not? He's the guy Catholicism has selected as their public representative. Isn't this part of his job?
I'm sure it won't bother him on a personal level. Unless he really was guilty of doing something wrong. Then maybe he deserves to be disgraced?
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote: It's a joke about the pope pooping his pants. I think we should reserve phrases like "disgrace to humanity" for more serious problems.
Well, you have a point there. And probably more to the point is that humans created this satire.

So maybe humanity is just innately disgraceful and therefore being a disgrace to humanity is simply what humanity is. ;)

Hermione
Student

Post #8

Post by Hermione »

AkiThePirate wrote: I'm all for satirising authority figures, particularly ones who are traditionally not questioned, but this is just tasteless, and isn't really making any kind of point.

They could at least have photoshopped it well.
The Vatican had sued and the magazine had to let remove the pictures. They made a new pope picture with two lemonade bottles in his hands after that. The yellow spot on the cassock of the pope should therefore be. A rogue thinks whom consortium.
I think the Vatican would have been supposed to prove more sense of humor.

Hermione
Student

Post #9

Post by Hermione »

Divine Insight wrote:
I mean, as much as I disagree with Catholicism I see no reason to take it out on the Pope. I'm sure he's a very loving man who means well. At least I certainly hope so.
The pope had only one job as a cardinal Ratzinger: Doing everything to protect the RCC. And how was this happen? By having dismissed critical clergymen. By protecting child abusers also in front of the police. Describing homosexuals as ill, and saying that they need to "cure" by faith. And preventing marriage for homosexuals by giving a lot of money and other support.
And these are only some of his atrocities.

Hermione
Student

Re: May one insult the pope satirically?

Post #10

Post by Hermione »

Divine Insight wrote: Well, I confess I don't know the details of the gossip. If the Pope really was "leaking" information to the public that he wasn't supposed to be making public then maybe there's some justification for it. So I can't really speak to that issue without knowing all the details of what is being alleged.
It wasn't the pope, it were two of his servants who talk tothe press (for money) and copied some documents.