Latter Days - True or false?

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Latter Days - True or false?

Post #1

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

I had borrowed the movie "Latter Days" on Saturday. For the ones who do not know the contents of the movie here a summary from Wikipedia:
Elder Aaron Davis (Steve Sandvoss), a young Mormon from Pocatello, Idaho, is sent to Los Angeles with three other missionaries to spread the Mormon faith. They move into an apartment next to openly gay party boy Christian Markelli (Wes Ramsey) and his roommate Julie, an aspiring singer. Christian and Julie work as waiters at Lila's, a trendy restaurant owned by retired actress Lila Montagne (Jacqueline Bisset).
Christian makes a bet with his co-workers that he can seduce one of the Mormons, and soon realizes that Aaron, the most inexperienced missionary, is a closeted homosexual. Aaron and Christian become acquainted after several encounters in the apartment complex. When Christian accidentally cuts himself on a metal hose reel and faints, Aaron helps him indoors and cleans his wound. Christian attempts to seduce Aaron, but the hesitant Mormon becomes upset by Christian's remark that sex "doesn't have to mean anything." Aaron accuses him of being shallow and walks out. Worried that Aaron is correct, Christian joins Project Angel Food, delivering meals to people with AIDS.
Aaron's fellow missionary, Paul Ryder (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), has a cycling accident. Returning to his apartment, a distraught Aaron encounters Christian, who tries to comfort him with a hug. Both men are overwhelmed by their feelings and end up kissing, failing to notice the return of Aaron's roommates. Aaron is sent home in disgrace, leading Christian to confront Ryder, who is angry that Christian corrupted Aaron for no reason. Christian admits that he initially just wanted to win a bet, but says "it's not about that" anymore. Recognizing Christian's distress, Ryder tells him that Aaron's flight has a five hour layover in Salt Lake City.
Christian finds Aaron standing in the snow outside the airport terminal. Christian confesses his love, and despite his misgivings, Aaron admits his own feelings of love. With all flights canceled due to a snowstorm, Christian and Aaron spend an intimate night in a motel. When Christian awakes, he finds Aaron gone. Aaron's pocketwatch, a family heirloom, has been left behind. Christian returns to Los Angeles. In Idaho, Aaron is excommunicated by the church elders, led by his own father, Farron (Jim Ortlieb), who is the stake president. Aaron is rejected by his father and scolded by his mother (Mary Kay Place), who tells him that he needs to pray for forgiveness. When Aaron suggests that he might be gay, his mother slaps him. Overwhelmed by despair, Aaron attempts suicide. He is subsequently sent by his parents to a treatment facility to be cured of his homosexuality.
Christian is desperate to find Aaron and locates his home address and phone number. Aaron's mother informs him that "Thanks to you, my son took a razor to his wrists; thanks to you I have lost my son." Believing that Aaron is dead, Christian spends the next few days thinking continually about Aaron. Julie discovers an entry about Christian's feelings in his cellphone journal and uses it as the basis for her new song. Christian travels to the Davis home in Idaho, where he tearfully returns Aaron's watch to his mother. During an encounter with Julie, she hesitantly shows him her new video, which upsets Christian, realizing that part of the lyrics came from his personal journal without his consent. Julie tells Christian that she hoped something good would come from it.
In the treatment facility, Aaron hears a female voice singing and investigates. He discovers a music video playing on television, the song performed by Julie. The video prompts Aaron to return to Los Angeles in search of Christian. Upon arriving at Christian's apartment, Aaron is heartbroken when a stranger answers the door. Thinking that Christian has returned to his party boy ways and moved on, and having nowhere else to go, Aaron makes his way to Lila's restaurant, having befriended the owner while on missionary work after her life partner died. Christian is overjoyed to see Aaron alive, they reconcile and later celebrate Thanksgiving with Christian's co-workers. Lila tells everyone that, no matter what, they will always have "a place at my table, and a place in my heart".
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latter_Days

Hers some quotes from the movie:

Christian to Aaron:

You want revelations engraved in gold and angels trumpeting down from heaven. What if this is it instead? Me telling you I love you right here in snow? I think that's pretty miraculous.

Aaron to Lila:

Do you ever read the Sunday comics? When I was a little kid, I used to put my face right up to them. And I was just amazed because it was just this mass of dots.
Life looks like that mass of dots to me sometimes. None of it makes any sense. But I like to think that, from God's perspective, life, everything--even this--makes
sense. It's not just dots. Instead we're all connected, and it's beautiful and funny and good.

Lila to Aaron:

Your church doesn't like alcohol or homosexuals? I'm definitely not joining. I can't imagine heaven without both.

This film has touched my heart very much. Not because of only the wonderful love story, but also because the LDS and their whole system was represented very much in an interesting way. At the hearing in front of the church court Aaron accuses his father who is also his bishop; the hypocrisy and the nastiness; because the LDS practiced the "alternative lifestyle" in form of the polygamy leadingly in the USA.
After the suicide attempt Aaaron must to a "hospital" where he shall be "cured" of his homosexuality. Take a bath in icy water and various punishments were part of his "re-education program", also electric shock therapies, take.
E.g. gave it such " therapies" like YouTube covered (e.g. the documentation "LEGACIES") at the BYU.

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Re: Latter Days - True or false?

Post #2

Post by Choir Loft »

The Ex-Mormon wrote: I had borrowed the movie "Latter Days" on Saturday. For the ones who do not know the contents of the movie here a summary from Wikipedia:
Elder Aaron Davis (Steve Sandvoss), a young Mormon from Pocatello, Idaho, is sent to Los Angeles with three other missionaries to spread the Mormon faith. They move into an apartment next to openly gay party boy Christian Markelli (Wes Ramsey) and his roommate Julie, an aspiring singer. Christian and Julie work as waiters at Lila's, a trendy restaurant owned by retired actress Lila Montagne (Jacqueline Bisset).
Christian makes a bet with his co-workers that he can seduce one of the Mormons, and soon realizes that Aaron, the most inexperienced missionary, is a closeted homosexual. Aaron and Christian become acquainted after several encounters in the apartment complex. When Christian accidentally cuts himself on a metal hose reel and faints, Aaron helps him indoors and cleans his wound. Christian attempts to seduce Aaron, but the hesitant Mormon becomes upset by Christian's remark that sex "doesn't have to mean anything." Aaron accuses him of being shallow and walks out. Worried that Aaron is correct, Christian joins Project Angel Food, delivering meals to people with AIDS.
Aaron's fellow missionary, Paul Ryder (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), has a cycling accident. Returning to his apartment, a distraught Aaron encounters Christian, who tries to comfort him with a hug. Both men are overwhelmed by their feelings and end up kissing, failing to notice the return of Aaron's roommates. Aaron is sent home in disgrace, leading Christian to confront Ryder, who is angry that Christian corrupted Aaron for no reason. Christian admits that he initially just wanted to win a bet, but says "it's not about that" anymore. Recognizing Christian's distress, Ryder tells him that Aaron's flight has a five hour layover in Salt Lake City.
Christian finds Aaron standing in the snow outside the airport terminal. Christian confesses his love, and despite his misgivings, Aaron admits his own feelings of love. With all flights canceled due to a snowstorm, Christian and Aaron spend an intimate night in a motel. When Christian awakes, he finds Aaron gone. Aaron's pocketwatch, a family heirloom, has been left behind. Christian returns to Los Angeles. In Idaho, Aaron is excommunicated by the church elders, led by his own father, Farron (Jim Ortlieb), who is the stake president. Aaron is rejected by his father and scolded by his mother (Mary Kay Place), who tells him that he needs to pray for forgiveness. When Aaron suggests that he might be gay, his mother slaps him. Overwhelmed by despair, Aaron attempts suicide. He is subsequently sent by his parents to a treatment facility to be cured of his homosexuality.
Christian is desperate to find Aaron and locates his home address and phone number. Aaron's mother informs him that "Thanks to you, my son took a razor to his wrists; thanks to you I have lost my son." Believing that Aaron is dead, Christian spends the next few days thinking continually about Aaron. Julie discovers an entry about Christian's feelings in his cellphone journal and uses it as the basis for her new song. Christian travels to the Davis home in Idaho, where he tearfully returns Aaron's watch to his mother. During an encounter with Julie, she hesitantly shows him her new video, which upsets Christian, realizing that part of the lyrics came from his personal journal without his consent. Julie tells Christian that she hoped something good would come from it.
In the treatment facility, Aaron hears a female voice singing and investigates. He discovers a music video playing on television, the song performed by Julie. The video prompts Aaron to return to Los Angeles in search of Christian. Upon arriving at Christian's apartment, Aaron is heartbroken when a stranger answers the door. Thinking that Christian has returned to his party boy ways and moved on, and having nowhere else to go, Aaron makes his way to Lila's restaurant, having befriended the owner while on missionary work after her life partner died. Christian is overjoyed to see Aaron alive, they reconcile and later celebrate Thanksgiving with Christian's co-workers. Lila tells everyone that, no matter what, they will always have "a place at my table, and a place in my heart".

Christian to Aaron:

You want revelations engraved in gold and angels trumpeting down from heaven. What if this is it instead? Me telling you I love you right here in snow? I think that's pretty miraculous.

Aaron to Lila:

Do you ever read the Sunday comics? When I was a little kid, I used to put my face right up to them. And I was just amazed because it was just this mass of dots.
Life looks like that mass of dots to me sometimes. None of it makes any sense. But I like to think that, from God's perspective, life, everything--even this--makes
sense. It's not just dots. Instead we're all connected, and it's beautiful and funny and good.

Lila to Aaron:

Your church doesn't like alcohol or homosexuals? I'm definitely not joining. I can't imagine heaven without both.

This film has touched my heart very much. Not because of only the wonderful love story, but also because the LDS and their whole system was represented very much in an interesting way. At the hearing in front of the church court Aaron accuses his father who is also his bishop; the hypocrisy and the nastiness; because the LDS practiced the "alternative lifestyle" in form of the polygamy leadingly in the USA.
After the suicide attempt Aaaron must to a "hospital" where he shall be "cured" of his homosexuality. Take a bath in icy water and various punishments were part of his "re-education program", also electric shock therapies, take.
E.g. gave it such " therapies" like YouTube covered (e.g. the documentation "LEGACIES") at the BYU.

"This is the one-dimensional, secularist ideology of the Western right to be immoral and to justify its immorality."

- Priest Andrew Phillips

No man will see the kingdom of God unless he first desires to repent of his sin and to accept that which God has ordained as good and right.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC
[June 21, 1788 - October 26, 2001]

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.

KCKID
Guru

Post #3

Post by KCKID »

richardP wrote:
The Ex-Mormon wrote: I had borrowed the movie "Latter Days" on Saturday. For the ones who do not know the contents of the movie here a summary from Wikipedia:

Christian to Aaron:

Aaron to Lila:

Lila to Aaron:

"This is the one-dimensional, secularist ideology of the Western right to be immoral and to justify its immorality."

- Priest Andrew Phillips
Because a quote is endorsed by a priest and bolded by you is somehow intended to make all of us prick up our ears and listen? No such pious quotes will EVER convert a homosexuality to heterosexuality. Why? Because one's sexuality has nothing to do with 'conversion'. If anything these kinds of threatening quotes only drive people (gay or straight) further away from what amounts to a false concept of a 'loving God'.
richardP wrote:No man will see the kingdom of God unless he first desires to repent of his sin and to accept that which God has ordained as good and right.
So, we're still persisting that two young men who fall in love with one another and even (gasp) have sex (as per the movie in question) is a sin that, unless repented of, will result in their eternal torment? This belief - and one's accepting of such a belief - is far more a perversion of morality than homosexuality could ever be. Where is the logic within this kind of thinking? How can intelligent people really believe this crap?

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Choir Loft »

KCKID wrote:
richardP wrote:No man will see the kingdom of God unless he first desires to repent of his sin and to accept that which God has ordained as good and right.
So, we're still persisting that two young men who fall in love with one another and even (gasp) have sex (as per the movie in question) is a sin that, unless repented of, will result in their eternal torment? This belief - and one's accepting of such a belief - is far more a perversion of morality than homosexuality could ever be. Where is the logic within this kind of thinking? How can intelligent people really believe this crap?
You still don't get it.

It isn't about 'morality'.

Morality is defined by human culture - not God. For example, is it moral to kill Jews and Gays the aged and infirm in gas chambers? In 1930's and 40's Germany it was not only moral it was legal. Private corporations made fortunes with government contracts to supply the gas chambers and ovens. CEOs congratulated one another for their profit statements built on the blood and flesh of human beings. It was moral, but it had nothing whatever to do with God.

Sin is much deeper than that, much more dangerous than values and behavior approved of or rejected by humanity. Let's examine the issue a bit differently.

In Christianity there are two scales of behavior; the sacred and the profane.

Homosexuality is a behavior type. One among many of the race of man. This type can be more accurately pinned to a sliding scale of the profane. Think of it as a horizontal scale; man vs. society. On one end of the scale its ok/acceptable. On the other end it isn't. Profanity is a social human scale.

With but one exception it has nothing to do with God. Every bit of it is profane to Him. Good man, bad man, beggar man, thief. They are all consigned to the flames of eternal damnation because none of them, from the best to the worst, on either end of the scale, is good in God's eyes.

The other scale is the sacred. Think of it as a vertical scale with heaven on the top end and hell on bottom. (Actually it's in and out - forgive the digression.) On the top end of the vertical scale is behavior approved of by God. On the bottom end is that which is abhorrent to Him. The sacred scale is God's scale, not subject to the legislation of man; man's approval or disapproval.

With but one exception, the entire race of man doesn't even fit on this scale at all. It is too foreign and alien for man to even begin to conceive of it, to wrap one's mind around the problem. As a result, man's understanding always goes to the fallback position of morality, horizontal scale.....and misses the point completely.

Of course it's illogical. With but one exception the two scales, the two sets of standards, aren't even remotely related - aren't even on the same track with one another. One may just as well discuss the morality of walking on the moon naked. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

Ok, so what's the one exception in both cases. What's the one exception where the vertical scale of the sacred touches that of the horizontal scale of man's profanity? You may have figured it out by now. If not, draw the two lines on a piece of paper and make the vertical line overlap the horizontal line. They touch at one point and that's where you'll meet God.....or rather where God meets us.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...
R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.

KCKID
Guru

Post #5

Post by KCKID »

richardP wrote:
KCKID wrote:
You still don't get it.

It isn't about 'morality'.

Morality is defined by human culture - not God. For example, is it moral to kill Jews and Gays the aged and infirm in gas chambers? In 1930's and 40's Germany it was not only moral it was legal. Private corporations made fortunes with government contracts to supply the gas chambers and ovens. CEOs congratulated one another for their profit statements built on the blood and flesh of human beings. It was moral, but it had nothing whatever to do with God.

Sin is much deeper than that, much more dangerous than values and behavior approved of or rejected by humanity. Let's examine the issue a bit differently.

In Christianity there are two scales of behavior; the sacred and the profane.

Homosexuality is a behavior type. One among many of the race of man. This type can be more accurately pinned to a sliding scale of the profane. Think of it as a horizontal scale; man vs. society. On one end of the scale its ok/acceptable. On the other end it isn't. Profanity is a social human scale.

With but one exception it has nothing to do with God. Every bit of it is profane to Him. Good man, bad man, beggar man, thief. They are all consigned to the flames of eternal damnation because none of them, from the best to the worst, on either end of the scale, is good in God's eyes.

The other scale is the sacred. Think of it as a vertical scale with heaven on the top end and hell on bottom. (Actually it's in and out - forgive the digression.) On the top end of the vertical scale is behavior approved of by God. On the bottom end is that which is abhorrent to Him. The sacred scale is God's scale, not subject to the legislation of man; man's approval or disapproval.

With but one exception, the entire race of man doesn't even fit on this scale at all. It is too foreign and alien for man to even begin to conceive of it, to wrap one's mind around the problem. As a result, man's understanding always goes to the fallback position of morality, horizontal scale.....and misses the point completely.

Of course it's illogical. With but one exception the two scales, the two sets of standards, aren't even remotely related - aren't even on the same track with one another. One may just as well discuss the morality of walking on the moon naked. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

Ok, so what's the one exception in both cases. What's the one exception where the vertical scale of the sacred touches that of the horizontal scale of man's profanity? You may have figured it out by now. If not, draw the two lines on a piece of paper and make the vertical line overlap the horizontal line. They touch at one point and that's where you'll meet God.....or rather where God meets us.

You're right richardP ...I DON'T get it. Moreover, I don't WANT to get it. It seems to me that one who is sexually attracted to another - regardless of their gender preference - should not be required to pass muster with Fundamentalist Christians before they're allowed to pair off.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Nickman »

@Ex-Mormon
I haven't seen that movie but this youtube video really touched me because it shows what the LDS church really does to the heart of homosexuals.

[youtube][/youtube]
He talks about Evergreen which is the LDS homosexual conversion course. Very touching story and his conversion is a twist.

KCKID
Guru

Post #7

Post by KCKID »

Nickman wrote: @Ex-Mormon
I haven't seen that movie but this youtube video really touched me because it shows what the LDS church really does to the heart of homosexuals.

[youtube][/youtube]
He talks about Evergreen which is the LDS homosexual conversion course. Very touching story and his conversion is a twist.
Thanks Nick. That was a real eye opener. By the way, you can catch the movie Latter Days by clicking on
I watched it last night for the first time.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Nickman »

KCKID wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]
Thanks Nick. That was a real eye opener. By the way, you can catch the movie Latter Days by clicking on
No prob, thanks for the link. I was looking for it and ended up on a Tsunami documentary on youtube. Go figure. It was really good as well. Its called Tsunami caught on camera. You won't stop watching it.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Goat »

KCKID wrote:

[youtube][/youtube]

I know someone who was forced to go through a conversion program by some Fundamentalists when she was about 15/16. She mention out of the 17 people that were in the program 16 years ago, 6 are now deceased. They were all below 21 at the time. I mentioned it before. These programs KILL.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Choir Loft »

KCKID wrote: You're right richardP ...I DON'T get it. Moreover, I don't WANT to get it. It seems to me that one who is sexually attracted to another - regardless of their gender preference - should not be required to pass muster with Fundamentalist Christians before they're allowed to pair off.
IT ISN'T ABOUT MORALITY !!!

You're a passenger in a modern jet airliner at the end of the runway as your pilot receives clearance for take off. The engines go to full power and the plane begins to roll.

The pavement the aircraft is using is in reality a road that goes nowhere. 7,000 feet in front of you the road ends. There may be a line of trees out there, a multi-lane superhighway or a housing development. If you're departing Tampa where I live, its an expanse of empty salt water. The speed of the aircraft increases and in seconds you and everyone aboard have only 2 options; die in a holocaust of flames and destruction or leave the runway and fly. There are no exceptions and no excuses. Fly or die, that's it.

Lean over and kiss your boyfriend good bye because if the pilot makes a mistake there's no tomorrow for either of you. Or don't kiss him at all. Whatever. Swear on a stack of Bibles that you'll never partake of forbidden fruit again, or just say good bye to the nun sitting in front of you who's never made whoopie in her life.
It makes no difference to anybody. Fly or die, that's it and that's all. Soar like a bird or watch grass grow from the wrong side.

IT ISN'T ABOUT MORALITY !!

Earthly life is like that airport runway. All of us are hurtling down a dead end road. Sooner or later it's fly or die. No exceptions and no excuses.
A wise man will either prepare for the inevitable or he will die a fiery death. The end awaits us all and there is absolutely nothing anybody can do to stop it.

- except to learn how to fly -

IT ISN'T ABOUT MORALITY, it's about who you know....or who you don't know.
And the who is Jesus. Knowing Him isn't about morality or religion or political philosophy or bribing favors at the pearly gates.

Nobody can be moral enough to please God. Nobody.

Morality is only a smokescreen to cloud the real issue, to confuse the fact the end of the road is fast approaching.
Sooner or later you WILL kiss your boyfriend goodbye, whether you want to or not.
Say goodbye as you shuffle off to an eternity without God or say goodbye as you turn and embrace Jesus.
Your boy friend cannot guarantee eternal life or the miracle of knowing God in this one. Jesus can.

The wise man knows what he must do. The fool hides behind morality and denies there is a problem. Meanwhile the end of the road is rushing toward both.

There is only one choice and it has nothing at all to do with being a good boy or girl.

R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.