A comment made at the LDS conference today

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Nickman
Site Supporter

A comment made at the LDS conference today

Post #1

Post by Nickman »

One of the leaders of the LDS church made a comment without any supporting evidence today at theSemiannual Conference.

An Apostle of the church said that the LDS members, and mainly the missionaries, are the most knowledgeable when it comes to the bible. This made me ask the question,are they? When is was member I found the knowledge of the bible lacking considerably amongst the members and the missionaries. Here were talking about 19-21 year old males and 21-23 year old females.

I think that atheists that used to be christian know the bible better than most christians. On this debate site I have found atheists to usually be more knowledgable. Christians on here are highly knowledgeable as well, and the LDS I have debated are lacking that knowledge.

What do you say? Are the LDS more knowledgeable?

Who seems to have the most bible knowledge?

Do atheists have a leg in this argument?

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Nickman »

I found this survey online that has atheists performed the best. Mormons and Jews are coming in second place and pretty much tied. The atheist answered 82% of questions correctly with and average 20.9 questions out of 32.

Scroll down the website and you will see several stats. Read the text for a good read. Mormons seem to have the most bible knowledge overall.

This doesn't seem to be the case though in my experience. Most that I have debated seem to lack that knowledge as shown by the stats.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Nickman »

To add, you can take the same survey on the website. I scored 32/32. Its actually pretty easy. I think a harder test with better questions would have rendered different results. The questions are pretty simple and have no depth at all.

What are your scores and your faith? Be honest.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Nickman »

Anyone? I was hoping this may be a good discussion.

The overall percenatage of the survey showed that atheists have the most religious knowledge. In the category of the bible on the survey, Mormons came out ahead marginally. Do you think this is accurate?

Should the survey be more indepth? The questions were pretty basic. Here is the survey below.

Pew Forum Religious Knowledge Questions

Questions below have been paraphrased for brevity; most response options were rotated. See topline survey results (Appendix B) for exact wording and question order.

Bible

What is the first book of the Bible? (Open-ended) What are the names of the first four books of the New Testament, that is, the four Gospels? (Open-ended) Where, according to the Bible, was Jesus born? Bethlehem, Jerusalem, Nazareth or Jericho? Which of these is NOT in the Ten Commandments? Do unto others…, no adultery, no stealing, keep Sabbath? Which figure is associated with remainingobedient to God despite suffering? Job, Elijah, Moses or Abraham? Which figure is associated with leading the exodus from Egypt? Moses, Job, Elijah or Abraham? Which figure is associated with willingness to sacrifice his son for God? Abraham, Job, Moses or Elijah?

Elements of Christianity

What is Catholic teaching about bread and wine in Communion? They become body and blood, or are symbols? Which group traditionally teaches that salvation is through faith alone? Protestants, Catholics, both or neither? Was Mother Teresa Catholic, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu or Mormon? What is the name of the person whose writings and actions inspired the Reformation? Luther, Aquinas or Wesley? Who was a preacher during the First Great Awakening? Jonathan Edwards, Charles Finney or Billy Graham?

Elements of Judaism

When does the Jewish Sabbath begin? Friday, Saturday or Sunday? Was Maimonides Jewish, Catholic, Buddhist, Hindu or Mormon?

Elements of Mormonism

When was the Mormon religion founded? After 1800, between 1200 and 1800, or before 1200A.D.? The Book of Mormon tells of Jesus appearing to people in what area? The Americas, Middle East or Asia? Was Joseph Smith Mormon, Catholic, Jewish, Buddhist or Hindu?

World Religions

Is Ramadan the Islamic holy month, the Hindu festival of lights or a Jewish day of atonement? Do you happen to know the name of the holy book of Islam? (Open-ended) Which religion aims at nirvana, the state of being free from suffering? Buddhism, Hinduism or Islam? Is the Dalai Lama Buddhist, Hindu, Jewish, Catholic or Mormon? In which religion are Vishnu and Shiva central figures? Hinduism, Islam or Taoism? What is the religion of most people in India? Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim or Christian? What is the religion of most people in Pakistan? Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or Christian? What is the religion of most people in Indonesia? Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or Christian? Who is the king of Gods in Greek mythology? Zeus, Mars or Apollo?

Atheism and Agnosticism

Is an atheist someone who does NOT believe in God, believes in God, or is unsure whether God exists? Is an agnostic someone who is unsure whether God exists, does NOT believe in God, or believes in God?

Religion in Public Life

What does Constitution say about religion? Separation of church and state, emphasize Christianity, or nothing? According to the Supreme Court, can apublic school teacher lead a class in prayer? According to the Supreme Court, can apublic school teacher read from the Bible as an example of literature? According to the Supreme Court, can apublic school teacher offer a class comparing the world’s religions?

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by sleepyhead »

Hello,

Could you provide a link for the test for us.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Nickman »

http://www.pewforum.org/U-S-Religious-K ... igion.aspx

Sorry, I thought I already did. Must have slipped my mind.

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by sleepyhead »

Hello,

It doesn't surprise me that the LDS are more knowledgeable than Christians. I'm surprised they didn't get a higher score. LDS spend several hours on Sunday in various classes. They have home teachers coming over to convince them to come to church and a few actually have a lesson to teach. Christian churches don't discuss mormonism so there unlikely to know mormon history. Catholics say the rosary and there isn't any push for them to read the bible. Up until recently they weren't even allowed to read it. I'm not surprised that athiestsdid the best because they are more likely to have put spome effort into studying these subjects.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: A comment made at the LDS conference today

Post #8

Post by McCulloch »

Firstly, the quiz was a cakewalk. Anyone who did not get 14 or better cannot be described as being knowledgeable about religion in America.

How can anyone who is a 19 to 21 year old male ever be described as an elder? They are barely beyond childhood!
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Danmark »

sleepyhead wrote: Hello,

It doesn't surprise me that the LDS are more knowledgeable than Christians. I'm surprised they didn't get a higher score. LDS spend several hours on Sunday in various classes. They have home teachers coming over to convince them to come to church and a few actually have a lesson to teach. Christian churches don't discuss mormonism so there unlikely to know mormon history. Catholics say the rosary and there isn't any push for them to read the bible. Up until recently they weren't even allowed to read it. I'm not surprised that athiestsdid the best because they are more likely to have put spome effort into studying these subjects.
It would certainly surprise me if the average LDS member knew the Bible better than the evangelicals I grew up with. You really can't compare a specific denomination with Christians in general. The latter comprise too diverse a group, including those that have almost no knowledge of the Bible, but simply see themselves as 'Christian'.

Just as it is true I can't compare the small sample of LDS members I have talked to. They seem to have a very limited knowledge of the Bible and virtually no knowledge of the obvious problems with the authenticity of LDS scripture; my favorite example being their lack of knowledge about the Book of Abraham problem. Most have never heard of the issue. But the same is true of most Christians, they don't have much knowledge about the background behind the canon; simply accepting 'The Bible' as the leather bound book they received as if it were handed to them by God Himself.

Christians here at DC&R are not typical.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Re: A comment made at the LDS conference today

Post #10

Post by Danmark »

McCulloch wrote: Firstly, the quiz was a cakewalk. Anyone who did not get 14 or better cannot be described as being knowledgeable about religion in America.

How can anyone who is a 19 to 21 year old male ever be described as an elder? They are barely beyond childhood!
I get a kick out of the 'Elders' who come to my door. I have to give them credit for chutzpah. They walk into the home of a 64 year old trial lawyer and want to argue with me about one of my favorite hobbies, which includes the history of the Mormon church. But we have fun. I recognize they are far from home and have a difficult task they have little choice about. The only trouble is when I have them over for Thanksgiving dinner, I have to be careful about the beverages I serve. I feel bad they can't have wine with their turkey.