A comment made at the LDS conference today

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Nickman
Site Supporter

A comment made at the LDS conference today

Post #1

Post by Nickman »

One of the leaders of the LDS church made a comment without any supporting evidence today at theSemiannual Conference.

An Apostle of the church said that the LDS members, and mainly the missionaries, are the most knowledgeable when it comes to the bible. This made me ask the question,are they? When is was member I found the knowledge of the bible lacking considerably amongst the members and the missionaries. Here were talking about 19-21 year old males and 21-23 year old females.

I think that atheists that used to be christian know the bible better than most christians. On this debate site I have found atheists to usually be more knowledgable. Christians on here are highly knowledgeable as well, and the LDS I have debated are lacking that knowledge.

What do you say? Are the LDS more knowledgeable?

Who seems to have the most bible knowledge?

Do atheists have a leg in this argument?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #31

Post by Goat »

deleted
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Tex
Banned
Banned

Post #32

Post by Tex »

Nickman wrote:
Tex wrote:
It's very interesting how high atheist score.
It's seems they really want to see if God exist. Not happy with just living life till death.

I think this stems from the idea that we want to be sure of the claim we are dismissing instead of blindly dismissing it. This should show the Christians who claim that atheists just want to sin or hate god are wrong. We have studied the same book that you guys profess and to greater degree according to statistics, and yet we are not convinced. It also shows a trend that more knowledge and education leads to dismissal of myths.

You have studied God, because you are worried we may be right. And look for holes so you can live in peace.
If you really thought it was a myth, you wouldn't be here. Your faith would be enough to sustain your thoughts. So even your atheism is weak.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by Nickman »

Tex wrote:
Nickman wrote:
Tex wrote:
It's seems they really want to see if God exist. Not happy with just living life till death.

I think this stems from the idea that we want to be sure of the claim we are dismissing instead of blindly dismissing it. This should show the Christians who claim that atheists just want to sin or hate god are wrong. We have studied the same book that you guys profess and to greater degree according to statistics, and yet we are not convinced. It also shows a trend that more knowledge and education leads to dismissal of myths.

You have studied God, because you are worried we may be right. And look for holes so you can live in peace.
If you really thought it was a myth, you wouldn't be here. Your faith would be enough to sustain your thoughts. So even your atheism is weak.
I love how you just know me Tex. I actually became an atheist when I studied the bible to further my faith and follow Peter's words,
But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. –1 Peter 3:15-16
When I began studying to be more proficient in the scriptures and to silence atheists, I found out why atheists deny the god of Christianity. I cannot in good conscience utter the words that this god exists, or even entertain the idea that he does.

Tex
Banned
Banned

Post #34

Post by Tex »

Nickman wrote:
Tex wrote:
Nickman wrote:
Tex wrote:

I love how you just know me Tex. I actually became an atheist when I studied the bible to further my faith and follow Peter's words,
But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. –1 Peter 3:15-16
When I began studying to be more proficient in the scriptures and to silence atheists, I found out why atheists deny the god of Christianity. I cannot in good conscience utter the words that this god exists, or even entertain the idea that he does.
So why are you here? Why do you believe you have a need to convert people to your beliefs? Still have a bit of the old you in you? The need to preach the word.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by Nickman »

Tex wrote:
Nickman wrote:
Tex wrote:
Nickman wrote:
Tex wrote:

So why are you here? Why do you believe you have a need to convert people to your beliefs? Still have a bit of the old you in you? The need to preach the word.
Who said I am trying to convert people? Debate isn't about converting people. Its about addressing issues. It helps me learn other peoples perspectives. It keeps the mind sharp and always thinking.

southern cross
Banned
Banned

Post #36

Post by southern cross »

Nickman wrote:
Tex wrote:
Nickman wrote:
Tex wrote:
Nickman wrote:
Tex wrote:

Who said I am trying to convert people? Debate isn't about converting people. Its about addressing issues. It helps me learn other peoples perspectives. It keeps the mind sharp and always thinking.
Not always Nick
Some simply use it to convince themselves.
Others have no idea of what is convincing
Still others have been convinced to believe what ancient ignorant goatherds decided for themselves.
Debate should be based upon a mutual understanding of the concept being debated, unfortunately when debating with many believers there is only one side that truly understands the concept. Understand being the operative word here.

Tex
Banned
Banned

Post #37

Post by Tex »

Nickman wrote:
Tex wrote:
Nickman wrote:
Tex wrote:
Nickman wrote:
Tex wrote:

I say.
You keep on telling us, that what we believe is myth.
You don't need to this. If you really believe in your faith.

East of Eden
Under Suspension

Post #38

Post by East of Eden »

Nickman wrote: I found this survey online that has atheists performed the best. Mormons and Jews are coming in second place and pretty much tied. The atheist answered 82% of questions correctly with and average 20.9 questions out of 32.

Scroll down the website and you will see several stats. Read the text for a good read. Mormons seem to have the most bible knowledge overall.

This doesn't seem to be the case though in my experience. Most that I have debated seem to lack that knowledge as shown by the stats.
And Satan knows the Bible better than anyone, so what?
"We are fooling ourselves if we imagine that we can ever make the authentic Gospel popular......it is too simple in an age of rationalism; too narrow in an age of pluralism; too humiliating in an age of self-confidence; too demanding in an age of permissiveness; and too unpatriotic in an age of blind nationalism." Rev. John R.W. Stott, CBE

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #39

Post by Nickman »

East of Eden wrote:
Nickman wrote: I found this survey online that has atheists performed the best. Mormons and Jews are coming in second place and pretty much tied. The atheist answered 82% of questions correctly with and average 20.9 questions out of 32.

Scroll down the website and you will see several stats. Read the text for a good read. Mormons seem to have the most bible knowledge overall.

This doesn't seem to be the case though in my experience. Most that I have debated seem to lack that knowledge as shown by the stats.
I would believe you if you could only provide evidence of said character. Until then your post means absolutely nothing. I can say that fairies know the bible better than anyone too. All you are doing is personifying your beliefs.

East of Eden
Under Suspension

Post #40

Post by East of Eden »

Nickman wrote:
East of Eden wrote:

I would believe you if you could only provide evidence of said character. Until then your post means absolutely nothing. I can say that fairies know the bible better than anyone too. All you are doing is personifying your beliefs.
Isn't that what we all do here? It is my opinion. For evidence, watch the news.
"We are fooling ourselves if we imagine that we can ever make the authentic Gospel popular......it is too simple in an age of rationalism; too narrow in an age of pluralism; too humiliating in an age of self-confidence; too demanding in an age of permissiveness; and too unpatriotic in an age of blind nationalism." Rev. John R.W. Stott, CBE