The Book of Mormon - Turn it off

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

The Book of Mormon - Turn it off

Post #1

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

Do you know the musical "the book of Mormon"? I had bought the CD for myself on Friday and listened to it. A song from this touched me very much. It is "turn it off". Here some words from this song:
I got a feelin' that you could be feelin'
A whole lot better than you feel today
You say you got a problem...well, that's no problem!
It's super easy not to feel that way
When you start to get confused because of thoughts in your head –
Don't feel those feelings – hold them in instead!

Turn it off!
Like a light switch
Just go 'click'!
It's a cool little Mormon trick
We do it all the time

When you're feeling certain feelings that just don't seem right
Treat those pesky feelings like a reading light –

And turn 'em off!
Like a light switch
Just go 'bap'!
Really, what's so hard about that?
Turn it off!
Turn it off!
I had to think at this how often I had concealed my own feelings in front of me and others. Because I had to do it, and not because I wanted to do it. I removed everything from my life which was unwanted in the church.
For example my love for women.
I got married, was having babies; only because it was expected by a female member of the church.
Or my criticism of the leaders of the church.
Every time when our bishop, or another church leader, said something stupid; I would be chapped best of all; and would have told him how stupid and hillbilly style this comment was. But I was silent. Was silent because criticism of the leaders was equated with criticism of the prophet and of God.
Whoever is silent makes itself partly responsible. So I am partly responsible!

Nickman
Site Supporter

Re: The Book of Mormon - Turn it off

Post #2

Post by Nickman »

The Ex-Mormon wrote: Do you know the musical "the book of Mormon"? I had bought the CD for myself on Friday and listened to it. A song from this touched me very much. It is "turn it off". Here some words from this song:
I got a feelin' that you could be feelin'
A whole lot better than you feel today
You say you got a problem...well, that's no problem!
It's super easy not to feel that way
When you start to get confused because of thoughts in your head –
Don't feel those feelings – hold them in instead!

Turn it off!
Like a light switch
Just go 'click'!
It's a cool little Mormon trick
We do it all the time

When you're feeling certain feelings that just don't seem right
Treat those pesky feelings like a reading light –

And turn 'em off!
Like a light switch
Just go 'bap'!
Really, what's so hard about that?
Turn it off!
Turn it off!
I had to think at this how often I had concealed my own feelings in front of me and others. Because I had to do it, and not because I wanted to do it. I removed everything from my life which was unwanted in the church.
For example my love for women.
I got married, was having babies; only because it was expected by a female member of the church.
Or my criticism of the leaders of the church.
Every time when our bishop, or another church leader, said something stupid; I would be chapped best of all; and would have told him how stupid and hillbilly style this comment was. But I was silent. Was silent because criticism of the leaders was equated with criticism of the prophet and of God.
Whoever is silent makes itself partly responsible. So I am partly responsible!
That song sounds about right when it comes to the Mormon mentality. Don't question your feelings and problems you have, "just turn them off".

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

Whether a member of the LDS will write something here to this? I do not think so! They "turn us off" from their thoughts and minds.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Linguistic analysis Book of Mormon

Post #4

Post by Danmark »

The Jockers (Stanford University) study applied computer assisted linguistic analysis to the Book of Mormon and concluded it was written by 3 19th Century authors.
Their findings support the hypothesis that Rigdon was the main architect of the Book of Mormon.

This is particularly interesting when one realizes that Rigdon had access to Spaulding manuscripts and frequented the same print shop Spaulding had left one of his manuscripts in. Spaulding was constantly revising his work of historical fiction, and died in 1816.
http://sidneyrigdon.com/criddle/rigdon1.htm#9

An abstract for the Standford University study:

Mormon prophet Joseph Smith (1805–44) claimed that more than two-dozen ancient individuals (Nephi, Mormon, Alma, etc.) living from around 2200 BC to 421 AD authored the Book of Mormon (1830), and that he translated their inscriptions into English. Later researchers who analyzed selections from the Book of Mormon concluded that differences between selections supported Smith's claim of multiple authorship and ancient origins. We offer a new approach that employs two classification techniques: ‘delta’ commonly used to determine probable authorship and ‘nearest shrunken centroid’ (NSC), a more generally applicable classifier. We use both methods to determine, on a chapter-by-chapter basis, the probability that each of seven potential authors wrote or contributed to the Book of Mormon. Five of the seven have known or alleged connections to the Book of Mormon, two do not, and were added as controls based on their thematic, linguistic, and historical similarity to the Book of Mormon. Our results indicate that likely nineteenth century contributors were Solomon Spalding, a writer of historical fantasies; Sidney Rigdon, an eloquent but perhaps unstable preacher; and Oliver Cowdery, a schoolteacher with editing experience. Our findings support the hypothesis that Rigdon was the main architect of the Book of Mormon and are consistent with historical evidence suggesting that he fabricated the book by adding theology to the unpublished writings of Spalding (then deceased).
http://llc.oxfordjournals.org/content/2 ... tract#fn-1

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

Actually the topic is the "ability" of the members of the LDS to ignore facts. But well, your topic also matches actually it.
The apologists of the LDS claim that Rigdon met Smith only after the appearance of the BoM. Eyewitnesses say, however, that under oath, that Smith and Rigdon have met before.
What do these apologists say to it? That these witnesses have lied without really being able to produce the evidence for it.
The DNA/DNS has proved already that the Indians are not of Jewish origin. And what happens? A word changed gets secret from the preface of the BoM. Disguise, fiddle and deceive this is LDS specialty! One sees at Mitt Romney at the moment best.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Danmark »

The Ex-Mormon wrote: Actually the topic is the "ability" of the members of the LDS to ignore facts. But well, your topic also matches actually it.
The apologists of the LDS claim that Rigdon met Smith only after the appearance of the BoM. Eyewitnesses say, however, that under oath, that Smith and Rigdon have met before.
What do these apologists say to it? That these witnesses have lied without really being able to produce the evidence for it.
The DNA/DNS has proved already that the Indians are not of Jewish origin. And what happens? A word changed gets secret from the preface of the BoM. Disguise, fiddle and deceive this is LDS specialty! One sees at Mitt Romney at the moment best.
The real powerful evidence is the linguistic evidence itself, but when that is coupled with the proximity of Rigdon, Smith, and Spaulding's manuscripts, denial is laughable.

I agree with your point about Romney. Years of training in this school of lies and distortions which are rewarded by the church is perfect background for producing a Mitt Romney. I suppose all politicians are expected to stretch a point, shade facts, even lie once in a while, but this guy lies continually and does not seem to be bothered by it. No wonder Obama seemed stunned during the first debate. When liars tell whoppers that big, you almost have to question your own sense of reality.