Student

Do these athiests have a point?

Post #1

Post by officer2002 »

officer2002
Student

Post #2

Post by officer2002 »

Usually lawsuits by atheists are without merit. I think that they should win this one. They are not trying to change who can get married. They just want to have their wedding performed by their people. I think that extra third step which they must take now is an undue burden. If they loose this lawsuits I fear that hated religions and cults could be told that they need to take 3 steps to get married instead of 2 steps like the atheists now.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #3

Post by Bust Nak »

officer2002 wrote: I think that extra third step which they must take now is an undue burden. If they loose this lawsuits I fear that hated religions and cults could be told that they need to take 3 steps to get married instead of 2 steps like the atheists now.
I favor the solution that everybody take 3 steps to get married.
Usually lawsuits by atheists are without merit... They are not trying to change who can get married.
This statement interests me though, are you suggesting lawsults trying to change who can get married are automatically without merit?

officer2002
Student

Post #4

Post by officer2002 »

Usually lawsuits by atheists are without merit... They are not trying to change who can get married.
This statement interests me though, are you suggesting lawsuits trying to change who can get married are automatically without merit?[/quote]

Usually lawsuits by atheists are because of "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, "In God We Trust" on money, public prayer, Christian displays on the lawn of city hall(I have never heard about a lawsuit over Muslim prayers, displays or parades. Please inform me of any that have happened if you know of any.), or signs at high school football games. In each of those cases the atheists are not effected. In each of these cases one religion is not supported. To the contrary the religion of atheism is the only one that has no belief in any god and thus is established when they win those lawsuits.

officer2002
Student

Post #5

Post by officer2002 »

[/quote]I think that extra third step which they must take now is an undue burden. If they loose this lawsuits I fear that hated religions and cults could be told that they need to take 3 steps to get married instead of 2 steps like the atheists now.[/quote]
I favor the solution that everybody take 3 steps to get married.[/quote]

That would be equal treatment under the law and not violating the exercise of their religion.

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Re: Do these athiests have a point?

Post #6

Post by Choir Loft »

According to the constitution, states have the right to pass and enforce such laws. The federal government has no legal constitutional authority to interfere.

The constitution, however, has not been in effect since October 26, 2001 so I suppose that such litigation may have a hope of succeeding. There is no longer any such thing as a legal foundation for the matters of states and individuals.

Welcome to the brave new fascist police state we've created.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC
[June 21, 1788 - October 26, 2001]

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #7

Post by Bust Nak »

officer2002 wrote: Usually lawsuits by atheists are because of "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, "In God We Trust" on money, public prayer, Christian displays on the lawn of city hall(I have never heard about a lawsuit over Muslim prayers, displays or parades. Please inform me of any that have happened if you know of any.)
Well if you are implying we are soft on Muslims, you are wrong. If you know of any Islamic display on the lawns of city hall, officially lead prayer to Allah etc, I am sure there are prenty of lawyers that would like to take the case up.
In each of those cases the atheists are not effected. In each of these cases one religion is not supported. To the contrary the religion of atheism is the only one that has no belief in any god and thus is established when they win those lawsuits.
And rightly so. Secularism is a good thing. Atheists are campaigning for your rights too.

Strider324
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Strider324 »

According to the constitution, states have the right to pass and enforce such laws. The federal government has no legal constitutional authority to interfere.

Sure they do. A state can pass laws that legalize slavery and burning heretics at the stake. The federal government has every right - and obligation - to 'interfere'. States rights are not absolute.
Yeah, the sky is falling....
:roll:
"Do Good for Good is Good to do. Spurn Bribe of Heaven and Threat of Hell"
- The Kasidah of Haji abdu al-Yezdi

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by 99percentatheism »

richardP wrote:

The constitution, however, has not been in effect since October 26, 2001 so I suppose that such litigation may have a hope of succeeding. There is no longer any such thing as a legal foundation for the matters of states and individuals.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
Secession anyone?

"When in the course of human events . . ."

Right?

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by 99percentatheism »

Bust Nak wrote:
officer2002 wrote: Usually lawsuits by atheists are because of "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, "In God We Trust" on money, public prayer, Christian displays on the lawn of city hall(I have never heard about a lawsuit over Muslim prayers, displays or parades. Please inform me of any that have happened if you know of any.)
Well if you are implying we are soft on Muslims, you are wrong. If you know of any Islamic display on the lawns of city hall, officially lead prayer to Allah etc, I am sure there are prenty of lawyers that would like to take the case up.
In each of those cases the atheists are not effected. In each of these cases one religion is not supported. To the contrary the religion of atheism is the only one that has no belief in any god and thus is established when they win those lawsuits.
And rightly so. Secularism is a good thing. Atheists are campaigning for your rights too.
Secularism is only a good thing if Christians have the same value as the secularist.

I'm a Christian and former atheist.