Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Anti gay marriage in church Christian sacked

Post #1

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Facebook gay wedding comment man wins demotion case

Adrian Smith described gay marriage as an "equality too far" on Facebook and was demoted at work as a result. His employer was Trafford Housing Trust (THT). This is their policy on Equality and Diversity

From the BBC Website: Peter Tatchell, a prominent campaigner on gay and lesbian issues, described the trust's actions as "excessive".
I agree with Tatchell
Adrian Smith said: "Something has poisoned the atmosphere in Britain, where an honest man like me can be punished for making perfectly polite remarks about the importance of marriage.
I also agree with Adrian Smith.

So to be clear this thread starts with the assertion that the Trust got it wrong, were way too heavy handed, and they should not have demoted Smith. Shame on them.

Do Christians in the UK, America and elsewhere feel the atmosphere is being poisoned against them when they see cases like this? But....before answering this question please also answer this next question. If Adrian Smith had posted a positive affirmation of gay marriage but worked in a Christian institution like the Vatican, or the head office of Watchtower, or they were an administrator at Brigham Young university etc, would they be treated better or worse than the way Trafford Housing Trust treated Smith? Do you think a pro gay marriage manager exercising their free speech should expect to stay employed within a Christian organisation that opposes gay marriage?

So the point I want to get at is this. Are folk like Adrian Smith victimised in a way Christian organisations would not do if roles were reversed?

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Anti gay marriage in church Christian sacked

Post #2

Post by Goat »

Furrowed Brow wrote: Facebook gay wedding comment man wins demotion case

Adrian Smith described gay marriage as an "equality too far" on Facebook and was demoted at work as a result. His employer was Trafford Housing Trust (THT). This is their policy on Equality and Diversity

From the BBC Website: Peter Tatchell, a prominent campaigner on gay and lesbian issues, described the trust's actions as "excessive".
I agree with Tatchell
Adrian Smith said: "Something has poisoned the atmosphere in Britain, where an honest man like me can be punished for making perfectly polite remarks about the importance of marriage.

So to be clear this thread starts with the assertion that the Trust got it wrong, were way too heavy handed, and they should not have demoted Smith. Shame on them.

Do Christians in the UK, America and elsewhere feel the atmosphere is being poisoned against them when they see cases like this? But....before answering this question please also answer this next question. If Adrian Smith had posted a positive affirmation of gay marriage but worked in a Christian institution like the Vatican, or the head office of Watchtower, or they were an administrator at Brigham Young university etc, would they be treated better or worse than the way Trafford Housing Trust treated Smith? Do you think a pro gay marriage manager exercising their free speech should expect to stay employed within a Christian organisation that opposes gay marriage?

So the point I want to get at is this. Are folk like Adrian Smith victimised in a way Christian organisations would not do if roles were reversed?
Well,.,.,he wasn't fired like this guy was for marrying his partner

http://www.topix.com/forum/living/weddi ... AJB2NI8EU4

And this woman who was fired for disagreeing with the church on gay marriage
http://www.towleroad.com/2012/06/minnes ... riage.html
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by 99percentatheism »

I agree with Tatchell

In the secular world of "Anything Goes," is this Adrian Smith just now catching on to what's up?

Hopefully he will learn his lesson from the real life predictions from the New Testament. Christians are living once again - or just about to - as they did in the days of Rome ruled by the lascivious and licentious Romans and others since the formation OF the Church. I mean, the guy is literally living on land once conquered by the Romans. Did he think that culture, one where anything goes was close to being the law, wasn't going to make a comeback with a vengeance?

He should read the Bible as often as he does the Telegraph. Or, better yet, referencing the two at the same time.

Especially here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -full.html

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Furrowed Brow »

It was an a revealing moan by the retired naval office. But a couple of points. For his children to acheive the kind of economic independence that I guess he managed as a naval officer will now require they earn more than he did and be more succesful than he was. For one person to provide for their partner and children and maybe send three to four kids to private school in modern Britian is going to take an income of at least £200k ($320k). (Twice that of a Naval Commodore and comfortably top 1%) Now maybe his kids should aspire to that level of income and be a 1% but the point is that for folk who earn less the kind of financial independence the retired naval office is appealing for is very difficult, and for his grandchildren it is going to be impossible unless their is a collapse in the housing market of at least 50%.

The old sea dog sounds like someone who is used to having people follow his orders, and who thinks children are there to obey him. Placing the letter in the Telegaph is low and not worthy of a parent. (I'd really like to see what his wife thought if it). His kids should pay off any monies they owe him and and get on with their lives without his advice. ....which I guess they've been doing hence the letter to the Telegraph.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by connermt »

I agree with Tatchell

From my experience, the vast majority of christianity is extremely hypocritical: they want ID taught in school, yet don't want other religious teachings of creation taught; they're against gay marriage but not against divorce, the "Vegas Quickie" marriage, etc.
Christians typically want equality only when it benefits them and/or their POV. Likewise, they claim being victimized when it fits their fancy.
To be fair, this is a very "human" concept. However, christianity, in the way it's taught, feeds into this concept.

KCKID
Guru

Post #6

Post by KCKID »

connermt wrote:

I agree with Tatchell

From my experience, the vast majority of christianity is extremely hypocritical: they want ID taught in school, yet don't want other religious teachings of creation taught; they're against gay marriage but not against divorce, the "Vegas Quickie" marriage, etc.
Christians typically want equality only when it benefits them and/or their POV. Likewise, they claim being victimized when it fits their fancy.
To be fair, this is a very "human" concept. However, christianity, in the way it's taught, feeds into this concept.
Which is precisely why I'm reluctant to ever set foot in another mainstream Christian Church.

Star
Sage

Post #7

Post by Star »

Furrowed Brow wrote:So the point I want to get at is this. Are folk like Adrian Smith victimised in a way Christian organisations would not do if roles were reversed?
I agree that he never should have been demoted. Companies shouldn't police what their employees do and say outside of work unless it affects them directly, especially on Facebook.

Having said that, to answer the question you asked here... NO. Christian organisations have a long history of discrimination. The best example is the one brought up here: Marriage equality, and their denial of it.

Fortunately, discrimination has been outlawed where I live. It still happens, and people will remain prejudiced until pigs fly, but it helps quite a bit. Gays can get married, be Boy Scout leaders, serve openly in the military, etc. America has made progress (eg. repealing DADT) but is still struggling with many of these things. Go Obama.

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by 99percentatheism »

[Replying to post 1 by Furrowed Brow]

The Christian man suffered a form of persecution.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by McCulloch »

We should promote vigorous, civil public debates on the issues of the day. I believe that the employer, in this case did perhaps go too far.
99percentatheism wrote: In the secular world of "Anything Goes," is this Adrian Smith just now catching on to what's up?
This oversimplifying view of secularism brings nothing of any benefit to the debate. The secular view is not that anything goes. It is that our laws should not be the reflection of the alleged divine revelation of one or a group of religions. Our laws should only be based on what is the demonstrably in the common good. Where there is no evidence that a behavior is harmful to society, there should be no legal prohibition against that activity. This is a far cry from the simplistic charge of anything goes!
99percentatheism wrote: Hopefully he will learn his lesson from the real life predictions from the New Testament. Christians are living once again - or just about to - as they did in the days of Rome ruled by the lascivious and licentious Romans and others since the formation OF the Church.
Which Governments did Paul say were appointed by God? Nero's?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John