choose me with free will..or else...

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

sin_is_fun
Sage

choose me with free will..or else...

Post #1

Post by sin_is_fun »

Gods law says "You have choice.You have freewill.But CHOOSE ME WITH FREE WILL. Or else.....". Now how is this free will?This looks like hobson's choice.

franknhonest

Free will

Post #41

Post by franknhonest »

Well, it depends exactly what you mean by "free will". Of course, people are at liberty to do whatever they desire, but they cannot of their own volition choose salvation. This is because according to the Bible, salvation from sin is a moral issue, not a decision about whether you will brush your teeth or not before you go to bed. The nature of man has to be changed by God. This is what the Holy Spirit's drawing (dragging, pulling) does. Not everyone is drawn - only those who have been "given to Jesus by the Father". According to that chapter, all who are drawn are saved. Those who are not perish.

The Arminian idea of "free will" is not just about people being free to do what they want. They imagine that man is completely separate from any external forces, circumstances or temptations that would cause a man to go in the wrong direction. Arminians believe that a man, independently of God, can choose God. This is what the Bible denies.

Confused
Site Supporter

Re: Free will

Post #42

Post by Confused »

franknhonest wrote:Well, it depends exactly what you mean by "free will". Of course, people are at liberty to do whatever they desire, but they cannot of their own volition choose salvation. This is because according to the Bible, salvation from sin is a moral issue, not a decision about whether you will brush your teeth or not before you go to bed. The nature of man has to be changed by God. This is what the Holy Spirit's drawing (dragging, pulling) does. Not everyone is drawn - only those who have been "given to Jesus by the Father". According to that chapter, all who are drawn are saved. Those who are not perish.

The Arminian idea of "free will" is not just about people being free to do what they want. They imagine that man is completely separate from any external forces, circumstances or temptations that would cause a man to go in the wrong direction. Arminians believe that a man, independently of God, can choose God. This is what the Bible denies.
Let me see if I have this straight. If I am not drawn by the Holy Spirit (what?, like in a lottery) then I will perish right. By this assumption, my free will really is irrelevant right? My fate was chosen by someone else anyways. Now the Arminian idea comes along, and I can choose god without knowing god? How can you choose what you don't know? Is this along the concept that acting in a moral and ethical sense of right is like choosing god without formally acknowledging him?
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

franknhonest

lottery

Post #43

Post by franknhonest »

Basically it is a lottery yes. "Free will" is irrelevant. There are means through which the Spirit will work. One is the Bible. However it is still down to God's choice. I read the Bible for years and years without ever knowing salvation.

As you've just pointed out, Arminianism is heresy. You can choose things which are right (i.e. help someone out as opposed to fighting them) and this will affect the level of punishment after you die, but it wont do anything for salvation, because the Bible says again that even our righteous acts are like filthy rags in the sight of God.

By the way, I'm not a Christian. I just know my Bible better than most Christians do!

Confused
Site Supporter

Re: lottery

Post #44

Post by Confused »

franknhonest wrote:Basically it is a lottery yes. "Free will" is irrelevant. There are means through which the Spirit will work. One is the Bible. However it is still down to God's choice. I read the Bible for years and years without ever knowing salvation.

As you've just pointed out, Arminianism is heresy. You can choose things which are right (i.e. help someone out as opposed to fighting them) and this will affect the level of punishment after you die, but it wont do anything for salvation, because the Bible says again that even our righteous acts are like filthy rags in the sight of God.

By the way, I'm not a Christian. I just know my Bible better than most Christians do!
I will agree with your last point.

My question then: Is it your contention that man is born saved or damned. The life we live is irrelevant. God has his chosen and no-one can earn access to heaven regardless of their actions or choices. If so, what exactly is the purpose of life??
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

methylatedghosts
Sage

Post #45

Post by methylatedghosts »

Confused wrote:So there is free will and we are all going to heaven? I am trying to understand this post. Every path leads to the same place so hell doens't exist and regardless we will all return to heaven???
Sorry, I'm not always clear - happens when I'm trying to rush all my thoughts down at once :P

Yes - there is free will. God is only an observer - he doesn't care what you do either way.

Correct - hell does not exist. Regardless what we do, we all return - not to heaven - but to god. There is a difference.

Heaven and hell are made up places or realms that do not exist. Mythology provided the pretend games on that one. What I mean by "returning to god" is that we all were part of the whole - part of god. When god created the universe, he split himself up to create miniature gods, our souls. Therefore, when we die, when we leave physical existence, we return to god --- we ARE god. :D

I agree with christianity - that hell is the farthest we can be from god. That place is physical life, so the only place to go, is god

I find it funny that so many people drag themselves through hell to get to heaven.

methylatedghosts
Sage

Re: lottery

Post #46

Post by methylatedghosts »

franknhonest wrote:Basically it is a lottery yes. "Free will" is irrelevant. There are means through which the Spirit will work. One is the Bible. However it is still down to God's choice. I read the Bible for years and years without ever knowing salvation.

So you're arguing against christianity with there own :2gun: weapon! :lol: Nice.

Biker

Re: choose me with free will..or else...

Post #47

Post by Biker »

sin_is_fun wrote:Gods law says "You have choice.You have freewill.But CHOOSE ME WITH FREE WILL. Or else.....". Now how is this free will?This looks like hobson's choice.
Where does it say that?

Biker