Atheism is a belief

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Samckeyes
Student

Atheism is a belief

Post #1

Post by Samckeyes »

This is so because of a few things, one science can neither prove or dis-prove Gods existence. But just because someone doesn't believe God exists, doesn't mean atheism isn't a belief and just a dis-belief, affirming the thought that God doesn't exist means that one must believe that statement to be true, which requires a leap of faith.

Agnosticism would require less faith but would still be a belief, one I tend to lean to very often, but I'm also very inclined to religous thinking. To me there is so much that science will never be able to help us with, the existential struggles and so on.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #31

Post by McCulloch »

ndf8th wrote: I wish I where a good thinker. Sadly I am not.
You're better than you think.
ndf8th wrote: atheists only care about if one are good at reasoning, feelings they say are irrelevant.
Feelings are very important. However they are irrelevant in determining the truth of a proposition.
ndf8th wrote: Now reason. suppose we reason about Jesus , Christ, God, spirit.
An important consideration in good thinking is how do we know what we know. Philosophers call that epistemology, because they like using unfamiliar Greek sounding words for things. Another important thing is logical consistency. From whatever point of view, the doctrine of the Trinity and the Incarnation fails on both points. Three persons in on essence has neither an epistemological or a logical basis on which to believe. There is no reason to believe other than the Bible and my Church tell me so. It is also nonsense. The attributes of humanity and deity are mutually exclusive. God is said to be omniscient. Humans have limited knowledge. You cannot have both simultaneously. One person cannot be both fully god and fully human.
ndf8th wrote: i guess you can name that Theology and atheists do Philosophy instead for theology?
To me Theology is the branch of Philosophy that deals with the ideas about God and deity.
ndf8th wrote: Now reason this. What is most important? That you get saved?
Saved from what? Until that is clear, the discussion about salvation is meaningless.
ndf8th wrote: how does the atheist reason? Atheist does not ask: "Did Jesus save you?"
You would happily answer: "Yes indeed he saved me and gave me eternal life."
A skeptic would ask, "How do you know that Jesus saved you? What did he save you from? How do you know that there is anything beyond this life?"
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

ndf8th
Sage

Post #32

Post by ndf8th »

You are right.
You can by definition be atheist without being a skeptic.
You can even believe in talking to dead relatives
and still by definition be a 100% weak atheist.

is that not odd? Why set it up like that.

Remember they did this new definition around 1974 to 1982
I don't know when they decided they had debated enough
but it was settled around that time in modern times.

way back in 1867 Charles Bradlaugh had a similar definition
but the atheists seems to have forgotten about it until 1974
when George Smith reminded them about it in his book.

From then on they cared about that view.

R34L1TY
Scholar

Post #33

Post by R34L1TY »

Atheism was around long before Religion ever came to play.

It is most certainly NOT a belief. It is the assertion that a Belief does not make sense so therefore it is non deserving of time.

If you want to play it like "You don't believe in Santa?" well thats your belief, that is fine. But that is illogical to assert that because I don't accept your belief in Santa Clause..I can easily prove of his non existence. And the evidence is telling me, okay..the idea of your belief is non fathomable. So therefore I draw my conclusions to tell me that it is not plausible to believe what you believe.

Sure you can say "But you can't prove his non existence to be 100% so therefore that 1% means you have to believe that the belief is not right"..if you want to play that game then everything can be taken as a belief.

Taken from Google;

be·lief
/biˈlēf/
Noun
An acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.
Something one accepts as true or real; a firmly held opinion or conviction.

/thread

-R3
M.Sc Zoology/ B.Sc (Hons) Physics/Pursuing M.D (Radiation Oncology)

A Troubled Man
Guru

Post #34

Post by A Troubled Man »

Samckeyes wrote:
So do you not see humans as being subjective in any sense, or yes and somehow we can free ourselves from subjectivity through some kind of scientific attitude or outlook?
The subjectivity in humans is usually that of faith and religious beliefs, they are completely subjective, but one can free themselves of this subjectivity simply by using their brains and thinking.

Samckeyes
Student

Post #35

Post by Samckeyes »

A Troubled Man wrote:
Samckeyes wrote:
So do you not see humans as being subjective in any sense, or yes and somehow we can free ourselves from subjectivity through some kind of scientific attitude or outlook?
The subjectivity in humans is usually that of faith and religious beliefs, they are completely subjective, but one can free themselves of this subjectivity simply by using their brains and thinking.
Ok so are you not saying then that just science is the way we can understand things or learn things? Or no is it just religion that is subjective and science isn't the only way? And Sorry for the confusion .