Matthew 12:40

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

rstrats
Scholar

Matthew 12:40

Post #1

Post by rstrats »

Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a “discussion� with 6th day crucifixion folks, they frequently argue that it is a Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone has documentation that shows that the phrase “x� days and “x�nights was ever used in the first century or before when it absolutely didn’t include at least parts of the “x� days and at least parts of the “x� nights?

rstrats
Scholar

Re:

Post #201

Post by rstrats »

rstrats wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:33 am brianbbs67,
re: "I could start a thread if you want?"

Did you ever start the new topic?

AquinasForGod
Sage

Re: Matthew 12:40

Post #202

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to rstrats in post #1]

I personally don't see why it matters. If it was any part of Fri, all of Sat, and any part of Sun. then it is three days as far as I am concerned. I guess people work themselves up over if it was 3 days and 3 nights as if the writer couldn't have gotten it a little wrong.

Jesus says 3 days and he thought Jesus meant 3 days and nights.

Biblical literalism is weird to me.

rstrats
Scholar

Post #203

Post by rstrats »

[Replying to AquinasForGod in post #202]

AquinasForGod,
re: "I personally don't see why it matters."

For the purpose of this topic you don't need to.

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #204

Post by AquinasForGod »

rstrats wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:42 am [Replying to AquinasForGod in post #202]

AquinasForGod,
re: "I personally don't see why it matters."

For the purpose of this topic you don't need to.
Are you saying it is impossible that Jesus said 3 days, and later men wrote 3 days and 3 nights?

rstrats
Scholar

Post #205

Post by rstrats »

[Replying to AquinasForGod in post #204]

AquinasForGod,
re: "Are you saying it is impossible that Jesus said 3 days, and later men wrote 3 days and 3 nights?"

How do you get that from my comment - "For the purpose of this topic you don't need to"?

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #206

Post by AquinasForGod »

rstrats wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:43 pm [Replying to AquinasForGod in post #204]

AquinasForGod,
re: "Are you saying it is impossible that Jesus said 3 days, and later men wrote 3 days and 3 nights?"

How do you get that from my comment - "For the purpose of this topic you don't need to"?
That is not an answer to my question.

I do not know why you said what you said, so I am asking you a question to see where you are coming from. I suppose I could have worded it differently.

Do you believe it is impossible that Jesus said 3 days, and later men wrote 3 days and 3 nights?

rstrats
Scholar

Post #207

Post by rstrats »

[Replying to AquinasForGod in post #206]

AquinasForGod,
re: "I do not know why you said what you said..."

Because your opening comment, "I personally don't see why it matters." had nothing to do with this topic.

And your other questions deal with issues for a different topic. Perhaps you could start one.

AquinasForGod
Sage

Re:

Post #208

Post by AquinasForGod »

rstrats wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:32 am Wootah,

re: "It just doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Friday Saturday Sunday."

That only allows for 2 nights. The Messiah said that 3 nights would be involved.

re: "Simple explanation here: http://creation.com/easter-and-good-fri ... nd-answers "

I don't see where the link shows an example of a phrase stating a specific number of days and/or a specific number of nights from the first century or before when it absolutely couldn't have included at least a part of each one of the specific number of days and at least a part of each one of the specific number of nights.
So it seems I was on topic after all. You are trying to claim that because there was 3 days and not 3 nights that it is somehow problematic.

So once again, my question. Could Jesus have said 3 days and never mentioned three nights, then later on because maybe it was the norm, someone wrote 3 days and 3 nights, attributing more to Jesus than what he originally said?

If this is possible, then it is not a problem. Jesus said he would be dead for 3 days like Jonah and he was.

So here is how it could have gone down. Here is what Jesus actually said.

As Jonah was in the belly of the whale 3 days, so shall the son of man be three days in the heart of the earth.

But when the gospel was written, the writer knew that Jonah 1:17 says Jonah was in the whale 3 days and 3 nights, and he knew Jesus knew the verse, so he thought Jesus must have said 3 days and 3 nights, so that is what he wrote.

It is really not a problem.

rstrats
Scholar

Re: Re:

Post #209

Post by rstrats »

AquinasForGod wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:30 am

So once again, my question. Could Jesus have said 3 days and never mentioned three nights, then later on because maybe it was the norm, someone wrote 3 days and 3 nights, attributing more to Jesus than what he originally said?

If this is possible, then it is not a problem. Jesus said he would be dead for 3 days like Jonah and he was.

So here is how it could have gone down. Here is what Jesus actually said.

As Jonah was in the belly of the whale 3 days, so shall the son of man be three days in the heart of the earth.

But when the gospel was written, the writer knew that Jonah 1:17 says Jonah was in the whale 3 days and 3 nights, and he knew Jesus knew the verse, so he thought Jesus must have said 3 days and 3 nights, so that is what he wrote.

It is really not a problem.
That would be an issue for a different topic. Perhaps you might start one.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #210

Post by Eloi »

Luke 24:24 But on the first day of the week, they came very early to the tomb, bringing the spices they had prepared. 2 But they found the stone rolled away from the tomb, 3 and when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. 4 While they were perplexed about this, look! two men in shining garments stood by them. 5 The women became frightened and kept their faces turned toward the ground, so the men said to them: “Why are you looking for the living one among the dead? 6 He is not here, but has been raised up. Recall how he spoke to you while he was yet in Galʹi·lee, 7 saying that the Son of man must be handed over to sinful men and be executed on the stake and on the third day rise.” 8 Then they remembered his words, 9 and they returned from the tomb and reported all these things to the Eleven and to all the rest. 10 They were Mary Magʹda·lene, Jo·anʹna, and Mary the mother of James. Also, the rest of the women with them were telling these things to the apostles. 11 However, these sayings seemed like nonsense to them, and they would not believe the women.
12 But Peter got up and ran to the tomb, and stooping forward, he saw only the linen cloths. So he went off, wondering to himself what had occurred.
13 But look! on that very day, two of them were traveling to a village named Em·maʹus, about seven miles from Jerusalem, 14 and they were conversing with each other about all these things that had happened.
15 Now as they were conversing and discussing these things, Jesus himself approached and began walking with them, 16 but their eyes were kept from recognizing him. 17 He said to them: “What are these matters that you are debating between yourselves as you walk along?” And they stood still, looking sad. 18 In answer the one named Cleʹo·pas said to him: “Are you a stranger dwelling alone in Jerusalem and do not know the things that have occurred there during these days?” 19 He asked them: “What things?” They said to him: “The things concerning Jesus the Naz·a·reneʹ, who proved to be a prophet powerful in deed and word before God and all the people; 20 and how our chief priests and rulers handed him over to be sentenced to death, and they nailed him to the stake. 21 But we were hoping that this man was the one who was going to deliver Israel. Yes, and besides all these things, this is the third day since these things occurred. 22 Moreover, some women from among us also astonished us, for they went early to the tomb 23 and when they did not find his body, they came saying that they had also seen a supernatural sight of angels, who said he is alive. 24 Then some of those who were with us went off to the tomb, and they found it just as the women had said, but they did not see him.”

The key is in the v.21 when the disciples say that day was the third day after Jesus' death, i.e. the same day when the women went to the tomb: "the first day of the week" (v.1), which is Sunday.

SUNDAY was the day of the resurrection, and it was the third day after Jesus' death. That means he died on Friday.