Homosexual son gets married

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Homosexual son gets married

Post #1

Post by otseng »

You are the President of Christian Women Against Gay Marriages. You come home one day from a meeting and your 18 year old son reveals that he is a homosexual. Furthermore, he announces to you that he has ran off with his boyfriend over the weekend to Massachusetts and has gotten married. He shows his diamond wedding ring to you.

What do you do? How do you explain this to your CWAGM members?

(Be reminded that no debates on other peoples' posts are to be posted here, only what you would do if you were in this situation)

DarkSaying
Student

Post #11

Post by DarkSaying »

Being President of the CWAGM means I probably have pretty well-defined ideas of what I think "causes" a person to be gay (it also means that since I'm a male I probably shouldn't be president of a women's organization -- but that's a different problem ;) ).

While remaining loving and supportive of my son, this would be a serious time of introspection regarding the assumptions I had concerning the status of relationships with my son and family. I think resigning from the post of president would be morally appropriate -- though not necessarily a politically wise move.

elyonsboy

He is responsible for His own choices

Post #12

Post by elyonsboy »

I believe that as a mother, this woman is not responsible for her son's choices at this point. I feel she should not have to give up her post. I do feel that she should relinquish him to the care of God and pray to the Lord that He would come to know the truth. As a man, myself, walking out of the homosexual lie, I believe that she should seek counsel through a local Exodus group. This group will help her deal with the issues of shame, doubt, and grief, as well as act as a clearing house for good, solid biblical teaching and christian fellowship and community. They will enable her to come to a place in which she will be better able to pray for her son in his brokeness.

Dilettante
Sage

Post #13

Post by Dilettante »

Welcome, elyonsboy:

Now for some questions:

Do you really think homosexuality is a choice? Most people don't choose to be heterosexual. It just seems to be the most frequent sexual orientation by far. Why would someone choose to be part of a minority group?

You say homosexuals can become heterosexuals if they want to. Do you think the converse is also possible?

Regards,
Dilettante

Osiris
Student

Post #14

Post by Osiris »

I dont understand. What is your issue with gay people. Do you hate people born with down-syndrome or cleft lip, or sickle cell as well? Do you hate people born with darker skin tones? Why would you hate someone for being born with a different sexual orientation than yourself?

sledheavy
Scholar

Post #15

Post by sledheavy »

It would seem a contradiction on my political standing....I'd probably put in my resignation.

I mean either way she's going to lose some credibility isn't she?

Blood On Your Hands
Student

Post #16

Post by Blood On Your Hands »

I think that if the beliefs of the mother are strong enough to become the president, she would disown her son and try to keep his 'sin' away from the organisation. she would ask god why did you make my son a homosexual?

MikeH
Sage

Post #17

Post by MikeH »

I find it funny that so many people think the mother should resign from her position, or even that the mother should disown the son. Is it the teaching of the group she runs to disown gay people? Then she should resign regardless of whether her son is gay or not.

As far as the other questions brought up:
Do you really think homosexuality is a choice?

Studies have suggested that between 40%-60% of the variability in sexual orientation is due to genes or biology. I would say that this is probably on par with about every other human activity or orientation. The problem is that most people who argue that homosexuality is not a choice don't believe in "choice" in the first place, so it's a different discussion that needs to be had first.

Why would someone choose to be part of a minority group?

This is a faulty argument. People choose to be part of a minority group all of the time. You could ask the same question of gothics, nudists, vegetarians, and any other sub-culture.

You say homosexuals can become heterosexuals if they want to. Do you think the converse is also possible?

Orientation can be developed, just like a taste for certain foods. Some people could develop an orientation to homosexuality through exposure, others would never develop the taste.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by Goat »

MikeH wrote:I find it funny that so many people think the mother should resign from her position, or even that the mother should disown the son. Is it the teaching of the group she runs to disown gay people? Then she should resign regardless of whether her son is gay or not.

As far as the other questions brought up:
Do you really think homosexuality is a choice?

Studies have suggested that between 40%-60% of the variability in sexual orientation is due to genes or biology. I would say that this is probably on par with about every other human activity or orientation. The problem is that most people who argue that homosexuality is not a choice don't believe in "choice" in the first place, so it's a different discussion that needs to be had first.

Why would someone choose to be part of a minority group?

This is a faulty argument. People choose to be part of a minority group all of the time. You could ask the same question of gothics, nudists, vegetarians, and any other sub-culture.

Orientation can be developed, just like a taste for certain foods. Some people could develop an orientation to homosexuality through exposure, others would never develop the taste.
And some would never be anything but homosexual.

MikeH
Sage

Post #19

Post by MikeH »

goat wrote:And some would never be anything but homosexual.
Correct. Since these are the two extremes of the continuum, those who "would never" on either side should represent a very small percentage of the population.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by Goat »

MikeH wrote:
goat wrote:And some would never be anything but homosexual.
Correct. Since these are the two extremes of the continuum, those who "would never" on either side should represent a very small percentage of the population.
That is assuming that there is a standard bell curve. I suspect that the bell curve might be scewed, one way or another