Jesus Myth Theory

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

d.thomas
Sage

Jesus Myth Theory

Post #1

Post by d.thomas »

Jesus myth theory, variously called Christ myth theory and the nonexistence hypothesis, among other names, is a term that has been applied to several theories that at their heart have one relatively common concept: the New Testament account of the life of Jesus is so filled with myth and legend as well as internal contradictions and historical irregularities that at best no meaningful historical verification regarding Jesus of Nazareth (including his very existence) can be extracted from them. However, as Archibald Robertson stated in his 1946 book Jesus: Myth Or History at least as far as John M. Robertson was concerned the myth theory was not concerned with denying the possibility of a flesh and blood Jesus being involved in the Gospel account but rather "What the myth theory denies is that Christianity can be traced to a personal founder who taught as reported in the Gospels and was put to death in the circumstances there recorded." more here:http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Jesus_myth_theory

Has anyone here read about this? In your opinion can Christianity be traced to a personal founder?

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #121

Post by Ooberman »

I agree with this. I think Carrier and others hypotheses need to be fully fleshed out. We all know the Christian position and the apologetics. I think it's time that another view gets some time.
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Re:

Post #122

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Ooberman wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:10 am I agree with this. I think Carrier and others hypotheses need to be fully fleshed out. We all know the Christian position and the apologetics. I think it's time that another view gets some time.
Now its more than ten years later and the support of Christ mythicism among scholars and peasants has grown enormously.
From a niche product to a popular well known point of view.

Benny Hinn, brace yourself!

And even if we read the NT literally, the traced back founder of christianity still would be Paul, not Christ.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Jesus Myth Theory

Post #123

Post by TRANSPONDER »

A Jesus myth - total myth - is hypothetically possible. The New Joshua messiah figure could have been dreamed up and the constant threat of crucifixion could have got u there somehow. But bit is less likely, and rationalists do not cling what is 'possible' when there is a better hypothesis out there.

What is more likely is that there was a real Jesus and he perhaps even did a surprising amount of what the Bible says. Few or none of the words attributed to him are his, but are made up by Greek Christian writers, stuffing their beliefs, dogma and agenda into Jesus's mouth. Just the supposed 'Faith' of Gentiles who had never heard of Christian doctrine or resurrected messiahs is a red flag of anachronism, plus the nonsense of David and the shewbread, the Blasphemy charge, and Herod thinking in terms of a spiritual messiah hows we have Christian thought behind the writing, not Jewish.

Yet some things have to make for a real Jesus or they make no sense just as a Gospel Jesus makes no sense. If totally mythical (made up) he would have been a Judean and stoned by the Jews, not a Galilean (almost a synonym for 'rebel') crucified by Romans (who then have to be excused from blame) in a method specifically used for ..what a coincidence, rebels.

It would even explain why Paul Converted, an we can forget that invented tosh about the Road to Damascus.