Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

GADARENE
Banned
Banned

Christianity and Apologetics

Post #1

Post by GADARENE »

often, jesus myth theorists demand evidence- scientific, verifiable, repeatable evidence from those who reject their theories. however, frequently, they will not present evidence when asked to do so. why?

Peter
Guru

Re: Christianity and Apologetics

Post #11

Post by Peter »

Moses Yoder wrote:
Peter wrote:
1213 wrote:
What evidence you want? Would it really matter if you get it? To what it would lead?
How bout some of the evidence god and jesus were so free and easy with in the bible?

It would be trivial for any god to convince each and every human on this planet of their existence because any real god will know exactly what it would take for each and every one.

What is so noble about believing in gods on bad evidence?

Do you generally believe things on bad evidence and how is that working out?

I have believed for years that it is unsafe to go faster than 55 miles per hour on a state highway. I have no evidence for believing such; I rely entirely on the state's declaration.

Really, if I needed evidence for everything I believed my life would be seriously miserable. Every morning I would have to visit my doctor to make sure I am alive. I would need some sort of evidence to prove my doctor is who he says. Then I would need evidence to show I actually have a job before going to work. Then I would need evidence that I have something to do at my job. Then I would need evidence that I know how to do it. Before going home I would need evidence I still have a home. Then I would need to check the evidence that I know how to drive. Etcetera. So much of our life relys on faith it's not even funny. If you have a partner, how do you know she/he loves you? Yes, evidence is nice, but a certain amount of faith is needed in order to have a good relationship.
You missed this. How bout some of the evidence god and jesus were so free and easy with in the bible?

Thoughts here? It would be trivial for any god to convince each and every human on this planet of their existence because any real god will know exactly what it would take for each and every one.

Optional. What is so noble about believing in gods on bad evidence?

Note highlighted. Do you generally believe things on bad evidence and how is that working out?
Religion is poison because it asks us to give up our most precious faculty, which is that of reason, and to believe things without evidence. It then asks us to respect this, which it calls faith. - Christopher Hitchens

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #12

Post by Bust Nak »

Moses Yoder wrote: Really, if I needed evidence for everything I believed my life would be seriously miserable.
Well, maybe not everything, but the things you mentioned here are trivially easy to get evidence for.
Every morning I would have to visit my doctor to make sure I am alive. I would need some sort of evidence to prove my doctor is who he says. Then I would need evidence to show I actually have a job before going to work.
That you are aware is enough evidence for to know you are alive. That a person he is in a doctor's office acting like a doctor would is enough evidence for the doctor is who he says. That you had a job yesterday, and no evidence of you getting sacked is enough evidence of that. And so on.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and all that.

Moses Yoder
Guru

Post #13

Post by Moses Yoder »

Peter wrote:
Moses Yoder wrote:
Peter wrote:
1213 wrote:
What evidence you want? Would it really matter if you get it? To what it would lead?
How bout some of the evidence god and jesus were so free and easy with in the bible?

It would be trivial for any god to convince each and every human on this planet of their existence because any real god will know exactly what it would take for each and every one.

I have believed for years that it is unsafe to go faster than 55 miles per hour on a state highway. I have no evidence for believing such; I rely entirely on the state's declaration.

Really, if I needed evidence for everything I believed my life would be seriously miserable. Every morning I would have to visit my doctor to make sure I am alive. I would need some sort of evidence to prove my doctor is who he says. Then I would need evidence to show I actually have a job before going to work. Then I would need evidence that I have something to do at my job. Then I would need evidence that I know how to do it. Before going home I would need evidence I still have a home. Then I would need to check the evidence that I know how to drive. Etcetera. So much of our life relys on faith it's not even funny. If you have a partner, how do you know she/he loves you? Yes, evidence is nice, but a certain amount of faith is needed in order to have a good relationship.
You missed this. How bout some of the evidence god and jesus were so free and easy with in the bible?

Thoughts here? It would be trivial for any god to convince each and every human on this planet of their existence because any real god will know exactly what it would take for each and every one.

Note highlighted. Do you generally believe things on bad evidence and how is that working out?
Thank you for stimulating my mind. In thinking about this, I have come to a life changing conclusion. That is, there is no evidence that would persuade you a God exists. He has done all He can (without using force) and you still don't believe. Lets see; according to the Bible He has raised people from the dead, healed the blind and lepers, led people as a pillar of fire by night and cloud by day, etc. ad infinitum.

Would you honestly believe in God if He sent someone back from the dead and told you it was all real? The Bible and all it contains? No, according to the Bible you would not believe. You are not looking for evidence, you want proof. Genesis 15:6 says Abraham believed God and it was counted to him as righteousness; this is the plan of salvation in a nutshell; always has been, always will be. If we had proof we would not need to believe; we would know.
Matthew 16:26
New King James Version (NKJV)
26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by micatala »

Moderator Clarification

The opening post is making behavior into an issue of debate. This does have the capacity to get into unproductive debate at a personal level. The issue itself seems at best tangentially appropriate for the Christianity and Apologetics forum.

Also, as a point of clarification, recall that in this forum, the Bible is not to be considered conclusive evidence. For those wanting to debate with ground rules that include the Bible being considered authoritative, the Theology Forum would be the appropriate venue. Some of the posts in this thread are along those lines.

Given the nature of the opening post, I am moving this to the Questions for a Group Forum. Remember civility is expected there as well.

Rules
C&A Guidelines

Moderator clarifications do not count as a strike against any posters. They serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received and/or are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels a clarification of the rules is required.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by micatala »

TheTruth101 wrote:
GADARENE wrote: often, jesus myth theorists demand evidence- scientific, verifiable, repeatable evidence from those who reject their theories. however, frequently, they will not present evidence when asked to do so. why?

Evidence here. This is a clear cut, raw evidence of God making us human beings, and him having a divine concept (spiritual and physical) before creating Man.

Christ is the begotten Son. God the creator was in communion with the begotten Son and told him of how the beggining was. God the Father gave him a true spiritual concept and we know the concept as the concept of 'Trinity'.

Spiritual concept of trinity spoken by Christ has been manifested physically to every individual.

We men having a penis, and testicles is infact in trinity (3) and its what gives 'life'.
Women have breasts(lactation to infants) and a vagina (physical birth) (3) and it gives 'life' as well. And its also in trinity.

Christ is known as the 'life' and he's the one who had the spiritual concept of 'trinity', and yes, this concept was given to him through the creator of all, God Yahweh and indeed, it works in divine ways.

But again, ofcourse the Atheists will deny this and say they have ten heads. But the truth of the matter is, many Atheists here know they have gone to a point of no return deep down.

So what they choose to do is, simply dismiss it, because if they accept such facts, they get stressed out and start living under fear.

This stage is known as the 'hades' stage. Commonly known as the ones that have been outcasted by God, and in turn, lives under fear and distress for their remaining lives in the planet earth.

They either lives this way, in 'hades' in their first life on earth, or, they are locked in hell for all eternity.
This is what is spoken by God and the bible.

In all, evidence of a spiritual concept of trinity spoken by christ has been manifested physically to all us individuals and everyone on this forum should note that.

Moderator Comment

This thread has been moved, and so is no longer in the debate area.

Please remember that debate forums are not platforms for preaching, or denigrating those with alternative (or non-religious) views.

Even in this forum, civility is expected and while you may promote your own religious views, you should not do so in a way that degrades those who do not share those views.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn

GADARENE
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by GADARENE »

Moses Yoder wrote:
Peter wrote:
Moses Yoder wrote:
Peter wrote:
1213 wrote:

Thank you for stimulating my mind. In thinking about this, I have come to a life changing conclusion. That is, there is no evidence that would persuade you a God exists. He has done all He can (without using force) and you still don't believe. Lets see; according to the Bible He has raised people from the dead, healed the blind and lepers, led people as a pillar of fire by night and cloud by day, etc. ad infinitum.

Would you honestly believe in God if He sent someone back from the dead and told you it was all real? The Bible and all it contains? No, according to the Bible you would not believe. You are not looking for evidence, you want proof. Genesis 15:6 says Abraham believed God and it was counted to him as righteousness; this is the plan of salvation in a nutshell; always has been, always will be. If we had proof we would not need to believe; we would know.

the question is, why do the jmt fail to provide evidence for their claims?

GADARENE
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by GADARENE »

1213 wrote:
GADARENE wrote: often, jesus myth theorists demand evidence- scientific, verifiable, repeatable evidence from those who reject their theories. however, frequently, they will not present evidence when asked to do so. why?

back at you bro. why do believers in nothing want evidence if they could care less? nevertheless, instead of answering, instead of even trying to answer, they don't. and they continue to demand evidence from the saved

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by McCulloch »

Moses Yoder wrote: I have believed for years that it is unsafe to go faster than 55 miles per hour on a state highway. I have no evidence for believing such; I rely entirely on the state's declaration.
Engineering is based on science. How the engineers came up with 55 mph, is a transparent process that any can learn. The epistemology can be explained. Theology, well, not so much.
Moses Yoder wrote: Really, if I needed evidence for everything I believed my life would be seriously miserable. Every morning I would have to visit my doctor to make sure I am alive. I would need some sort of evidence to prove my doctor is who he says. Then I would need evidence to show I actually have a job before going to work. Then I would need evidence that I have something to do at my job. Then I would need evidence that I know how to do it. Before going home I would need evidence I still have a home. Then I would need to check the evidence that I know how to drive. Etcetera. So much of our life relys on faith it's not even funny. If you have a partner, how do you know she/he loves you? Yes, evidence is nice, but a certain amount of faith is needed in order to have a good relationship.
These things are really evidence based. You have been alive many mornings now, the evidence leads you to believe that this morning it is probable that you will still be alive. The evidence also seems to indicate that if you were dead, things would be a lot different. Your doctor has training in an evidence based discipline called medicine. If you were starting at a new job, you would require evidence, such as a job offer, before you went off to work. You have the evidence of your experience that homes do not often arbitrarily disappear.

I don't know God or about God. I need evidence.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Savant

Post #19

Post by 1213 »

Peter wrote: It would be trivial for any god to convince each and every human on this planet of their existence because any real god will know exactly what it would take for each and every one.

You should understand, God don’t want believers, he wants righteous people. At least I think so because the Bible tells that righteous get the eternal life.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

And righteousness is something that doesn’t come with knowledge about God’s existence. Therefore it is not necessary to give you evidence that would be enough for you to believe.

Even Demons know that God is and apparently that knowledge doesn’t help them much.

You believe that God is one. You do well. The demons also believe, and shudder.
James 2:19

That is why I think believing doesn’t matter.

God’s will is in the Bible. If you don’t accept it now when you don’t believe that God is, why would you accept it if you would know surely that he is? You can become righteous with knowledge that is in the Bible, so it is not necessary to give more information.

I think there is nothing noble in believing that God is. And I think Bible is good evidence for me about God, because I don’t believe that people could have done it without God. In my opinion people are naturally too bad (selfish, greedy, short-sighted and couldn’t know enough) to make something like the Bible.

Haven

Post #20

Post by Haven »

1213:

In your opinion, will a righteous atheist go to heaven? Can an atheist be "righteous?" If the answer to these questions is "no," then belief is still a necessary (if not a sufficient) condition for "salvation" on your view, meaning that your version of Christianity still depends on belief.