Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

GADARENE
Banned
Banned

Respecting Jesus

Post #1

Post by GADARENE »

"So if you think that I'm in any way "Putting Jesus Down" you are mistaken." myth believer

"I don't condemn Jesus at all" mb

"On the contrary, my view of Jesus is a highly respectable view." mb

What is it about Jesus that these myth believers respect?

christians, you may not have known this. myth believers don't put him (jesus) down or condemn him, either. as a matter of fact, they highly respect him and compare his teachings favorably with (perhaps even influenced by) Buddha

why? why do you think myth believers highly respect him, don't put him down or condemn him?

TheTruth101
Banned
Banned

Post #71

Post by TheTruth101 »

People who get off on fear do not get off on being scared. They get off on being told what to do. It stems from the set of mind wheras the person that enjoys such act feels pride within when he is told what to do. This kind of peolpe know that "listening" is a hard thing to do, and once they do it, they feel as if they have overcame something they cannot do in reality on a daily basis.

Enjoying "fear" is a really odd concept for any member to bring it up. It's weird period.
"And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." -Ezkiel
"The big bang theory is just a detailed information of Genesis verse 1, and 2."

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #72

Post by Ooberman »

TheTruth101 wrote: People who get off on fear do not get off on being scared. They get off on being told what to do. It stems from the set of mind wheras the person that enjoys such act feels pride within when he is told what to do. This kind of peolpe know that "listening" is a hard thing to do, and once they do it, they feel as if they have overcame something they cannot do in reality on a daily basis.

Enjoying "fear" is a really odd concept for any member to bring it up. It's weird period.
What's weirder is that you are saying it. The one with fire and threats from the OT...
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

GADARENE
Banned
Banned

Re: Respecting Jesus

Post #73

Post by GADARENE »

And I've told you many times over that I don't need to.

As far as I'm concerned the whole New Testament is 100% rumors.

A rumor may either be true or false.

I've already explained this to you, you're just not understanding the explanation.

I've already ruled out the possibility that Jesus could have been the demigod Son of the God of the Old Testament. So I dismiss any and all rumors in the New Testament that make those sorts of claim.

The rumors themselves verify their fallacy. These rumors themselves have Jesus renouncing the immoral teachings attributed to the God of Abraham, and replacing them with totally opposite teachings.

So the rumors themselves are self-inconsistent with their own claims that Jesus was the demigod Son of the God of Abraham. They expose their own fallacy.

I suppose, in a sense, you're right. I could just stop there and recognize that the whole thing is totally unworthy of giving it anymore consideration.

Many people do just that.

But then you would ask me what my conclusion is? Do I conclude that these rumors are a total work of made-up fiction? Or do I conclude that they might actually be highly exaggerated and superstitious rumors about some person who might have actually lived?

Well my answer is that I suspect the latter.

[font=Verdana]
just answer the question, if you are still here, divine. you don't need to? of course you don't need to. but why are you trying so hard not to? [/font]

Why? Because the rumors are far too absurd to have been just made up entirely. It makes far more sense to me that some actual person renounced the immoral teaching of the Biblical God of Abraham, argued with the Pharisees, called them hypocrites and probably did end up getting himself crucified in some horrible way which was the fodder to spark these highly emotional rumors.

Why you have such extreme difficulty understanding that perspective is beyond me.

It makes sense then to inquire what this person might have actually been attempting to do.

And that is how I come up with my theories of who Jesus most likely would have been (assuming that these fables are entirely made-up fiction).

I'm totally convinced that he could not possibly have been the demigod Son of the God of Abraham so that's already out.

In order to try to support such a thing I would need to believe that our creator is far more hideous than I can even imagine.

I'm not even remotely interested in going there.

Even if such an outrageous scenario could be true, I personally wouldn't even want to know it. I could never "worship" such an ignorant immoral God.

So as far as I'm concerned, that's not even worthy of consideration at all.

A purely secular existence where life is nothing more than an accident would be far more attractive, and respectable.

And that brings us to the question of FAITH.

If I'm going to have to believe in something based on pure FAITH ignoring all the absurdities. I would much rather place my FAITH in the idea that life is just a purely random secular accident than in the idea that we were created by a jealous God who lusts for blood sacrifices and is so disgusting that he solves his problems by having his innocent son beaten and nailed to a pole.

Why would anyone want to place their FAITH in such a horrible disgusting picture of life?

Can you answer me that?

What is your attraction to Christianity?
GADARENE wrote: "So if you think that I'm in any way "Putting Jesus Down" you are mistaken." myth believer

"I don't condemn Jesus at all" mb

"On the contrary, my view of Jesus is a highly respectable view." mb

What is it about Jesus that these myth believers respect?

christians, you may not have known this. myth believers don't put him (jesus) down or condemn him, either. as a matter of fact, they highly respect him and compare his teachings favorably with (perhaps even influenced by) Buddha

why? why do you think myth believers highly respect him, don't put him down or condemn him?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #74

Post by Divine Insight »

GADARENE wrote: [font=Verdana]just answer the question, if you are still here, divine. you don't need to? of course you don't need to. but why are you trying so hard not to? [/font]
I can't speak for other people Gadarene. I try to make Jesus out to be a respectable person probably because I was introduced to him as being representative of righteousness and love. I got tired of watching Christian fundamentalists hold him out as being an icon of religious bigotry and hatred. So I do my best to try to hold Jesus up as having been respectable in spite of the fact that Christian fundamentalists hate me for it.
[font=Verdana]
What do you have against a respectable Jesus may I ask?
[/font]
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

TheTruth101
Banned
Banned

Post #75

Post by TheTruth101 »

Ooberman wrote:
TheTruth101 wrote: People who get off on fear do not get off on being scared. They get off on being told what to do. It stems from the set of mind wheras the person that enjoys such act feels pride within when he is told what to do. This kind of peolpe know that "listening" is a hard thing to do, and once they do it, they feel as if they have overcame something they cannot do in reality on a daily basis.

What's weirder is that you are saying it. The one with fire and threats from the OT...

No one is the OT account said they ENJOY fear.

They simply said to "Fear God". Thus it is a struggle, and it is not an enjoyable thing to do. Adding to what I've been sayiing, "suffering" for God and finding redemption.
Last edited by TheTruth101 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheTruth101
Banned
Banned

Post #76

Post by TheTruth101 »

Divine Insight wrote:
GADARENE wrote: [font=Verdana]just answer the question, if you are still here, divine. you don't need to? of course you don't need to. but why are you trying so hard not to? [/font]
I can't speak for other people Gadarene. I try to make Jesus out to be a respectable person probably because I was introduced to him as being representative of righteousness and love. I got tired of watching Christian fundamentalists hold him out as being an icon of religious bigotry and hatred. So I do my best to try to hold Jesus up as having been respectable in spite of the fact that Christian fundamentalists hate me for it.
[font=Verdana]
What do you have against a respectable Jesus may I ask?
[/font]

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, I just think that you are spreading false gospels about someone that you do not even worship.