African Americans and Christianity

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Nickman
Site Supporter

African Americans and Christianity

Post #1

Post by Nickman »

I am not racist by any means. I do think that if it wasn't for slavery that African Americans wouldn't have taken in Christianity. I think that they would still adhere to the African gods and godesses.

Here is a list of African gods.

When white Europeans took Africans as slaves they were held under Christian beliefs. Over time these beliefs filtered into their culture. Today African Americans hold to such beliefs (most). I deduce this from prior and after. Prior to slavery they didn't know about Jesus and had their own gods. After slavery they have beliefs in Jesus. Some people in Africa still have their old gods.

Do you think that slavery played a part in Africans becoming Christian? Do most African Americans realize the connection?

Nickman
Site Supporter

Re: African Americans and Christianity

Post #11

Post by Nickman »

TheTruth101 wrote:
Nickman wrote:
TheTruth101 wrote:
Nickman wrote: I am not racist by any means. I do think that if it wasn't for slavery that African Americans wouldn't have taken in Christianity. I think that they would still adhere to the African gods and godesses.

When white Europeans took Africans as slaves they were held under Christian beliefs. Over time these beliefs filtered into their culture. Today African Americans hold to such beliefs (most). I deduce this from prior and after. Prior to slavery they didn't know about Jesus and had their own gods. After slavery they have beliefs in Jesus. Some people in Africa still have their old gods.

Do you think that slavery played a part in Africans becoming Christian? Do most African Americans realize the connection?

The very first Hebrew Isralites are blacks. (Line of Abraham etc.)

Please provide evidence that Hebrews were black. This goes against what we know about Hebrews. Also, You don't seem to understand the topic. African slaves had other gods that were not Hebrew gods or Christian gods. It wasn't until slavery by Christian captors that these African slaves began to adopt Christianity.

Hagar and Katurah (who was a second wife and a concubine to Abraham)was black.
http://www.blacksinthebible.net/Hagardoc.htm

Now you kind of see why the Africans were enslaved and have kids dying of starvation and full of diseases (AIDS) and etc.

All cursed again for leaving God why he freed them in the first place.
I read the entire article and I still see no reason to believe that Hagar was black. Either way Hagar was not the woman who bore the Israelites at all. Sarah's lineage was and it says that she was fair meaning light complexion. All in all it matters not the color of any of these characters. What matters is that Africans were taken as slaves from their own country. They did not worship the Abrahamic gods or the Christian gods. I posted a link of the African gods that they worshipped. So prior to slavery=no christian god worship. After slavery=christian adoption by Africans

TheTruth101
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by TheTruth101 »

Nickman wrote:
TheTruth101 wrote:
Nickman wrote:
TheTruth101 wrote:
Nickman wrote: I am not racist by any means. I do think that if it wasn't for slavery that African Americans wouldn't have taken in Christianity. I think that they would still adhere to the African gods and godesses.

Please provide evidence that Hebrews were black. This goes against what we know about Hebrews. Also, You don't seem to understand the topic. African slaves had other gods that were not Hebrew gods or Christian gods. It wasn't until slavery by Christian captors that these African slaves began to adopt Christianity.

Now you kind of see why the Africans were enslaved and have kids dying of starvation and full of diseases (AIDS) and etc.

I read the entire article and I still see no reason to believe that Hagar was black. Either way Hagar was not the woman who bore the Israelites at all. Sarah's lineage was and it says that she was fair meaning light complexion. All in all it matters not the color of any of these characters. What matters is that Africans were taken as slaves from their own country. They did not worship the Abrahamic gods or the Christian gods. I posted a link of the African gods that they worshipped. So prior to slavery=no christian god worship. After slavery=christian adoption by Africans

Who says line of Hagar are not Hebrew Israelites? She bore from Abraham and Abraham is an Hebrew isralite therefore her descendents from her line are Israelites as well. It's common biology.

Before slavery, they did worship the Hebrew abrahamic God. Diaspora, (Mami wata) is just that.
She's a water God (baptism of water) with a snake. (Beggining of genesis).
"And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." -Ezkiel
"The big bang theory is just a detailed information of Genesis verse 1, and 2."

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Nickman »

TheTruth101 wrote:
Nickman wrote:
TheTruth101 wrote:
Nickman wrote:
TheTruth101 wrote:

Who says line of Hagar are not Hebrew Israelites? She bore from Abraham and Abraham is an Hebrew isralite therefore her descendents from her line are Israelites as well. It's common biology.

Before slavery, they did worship the Hebrew abrahamic God. Diaspora, (Mami wata) is just that.
She's a water God (baptism of water) with a snake. (Beggining of genesis).
Apparently this thread went way over your head. Whether or not Hebrews were dark complected or not means nothing to the topic. The Africans who were enslaved by the white European Christians did not worship the Hebrew god or Jesus and that is a fact. I listed the gods that they worshipped. It wasn't until after they were captive that we start to see them worship the Christian Jesus.

If it were not for slavery, African slaves who were brought to the Americas wouldn't be worshipping Jesus. Some may if slavery never occured. I am sure some would have converted, but for the majority, slavery was the main role in Africans adopting Christianity in America.

TheTruth101
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by TheTruth101 »

@Nickman,

The Africans back in the days BEFORE they were enslaved and broght to the U.S had biblical influence in their native land. care to look into the Steven Spielberg movie "Amistad". Its based on a TRUE STORY and within the very movie, when they are being transported to the U.S, in midst of it the Africans start talking about Jesus Christ from which they got a hold of in their own native land.
"And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." -Ezkiel

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Nickman »

TheTruth101 wrote: @Nickman,

The Africans back in the days BEFORE they were enslaved and broght to the U.S had biblical influence in their native land. care to look into the Steven Spielberg movie "Amistad". Its based on a TRUE STORY and within the very movie, when they are being transported to the U.S, in midst of it the Africans start talking about Jesus Christ from which they got a hold of in their own native land.
Yeah a movie based on a true story is evidence! Ill believe that. Please provide actual evidence that Africans had christian beliefs prior to 1619.

Source
Christianity became alive as slaves began to combine their African religious beliefs with Christian beliefs in order to make up what is called slave religion. At the beginning, between 1619 and the early 1700’s, slave owners were not really trying to convert their slaves into Christians. Then, slave owners began to have different thoughts between each other as well. Some believed that slaves were more than inferior so this meant that they should try to acquire Christian redemption. Others believed that converting slaves into Christians would cause many problems because they could start thinking that they were equal to whites since they were sharing the same beliefs. To them, a converted slave would become lazy or even resistant to their white masters.

Then, in 1701, this all began to change when white missionaries and slave masters realized that slaves should be converted into Christians. The formation in London of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts (SPG) was how this all began. The number of slaves that they converted was limited due to the lack of ministers that were sent to North America and because some slave owners objected for their slaves to be taught Christian beliefs. The SPG was converting slaves as they demanded control of their body instead of African beliefs in which they emphasize on physical movement caused by spirit possession.

Works cited

Encyclopedia of African-American Culture and History. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1996.
2452-2454 and 2465.

Genovese, Eugene D. Roll, Jordan, Roll. New York: Random House, Inc., 1972. 232-255.

TheTruth101
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by TheTruth101 »

Nickman wrote:

Yeah a movie based on a true story is evidence! Ill believe that. Please provide actual evidence that Africans had christian beliefs prior to 1619.

Source
Christianity became alive as slaves began to combine their African religious beliefs with Christian beliefs in order to make up what is called slave religion. At the beginning, between 1619 and the early 1700’s, slave owners were not really trying to convert their slaves into Christians. Then, slave owners began to have different thoughts between each other as well. Some believed that slaves were more than inferior so this meant that they should try to acquire Christian redemption. Others believed that converting slaves into Christians would cause many problems because they could start thinking that they were equal to whites since they were sharing the same beliefs. To them, a converted slave would become lazy or even resistant to their white masters.

Then, in 1701, this all began to change when white missionaries and slave masters realized that slaves should be converted into Christians. The formation in London of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts (SPG) was how this all began. The number of slaves that they converted was limited due to the lack of ministers that were sent to North America and because some slave owners objected for their slaves to be taught Christian beliefs. The SPG was converting slaves as they demanded control of their body instead of African beliefs in which they emphasize on physical movement caused by spirit possession.

Works cited

Encyclopedia of African-American Culture and History. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1996.
2452-2454 and 2465.

Genovese, Eugene D. Roll, Jordan, Roll. New York: Random House, Inc., 1972. 232-255.

It is ecidence somewhat. Steven Spielberg wouldn't put in a Chrstiain "doctrine" into his movie as a cut when it never happenened. He's not even a christian, there is no need to.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Nickman »

TheTruth101 wrote:
Nickman wrote:

Source

Works cited

2452-2454 and 2465.

It is ecidence somewhat. Steven Spielberg wouldn't put in a Chrstiain "doctrine" into his movie as a cut when it never happenened. He's not even a christian, there is no need to.
Is that you Truth101 in the pic?

Look I justed posted actual evidence of slave religion which states that Christianity was not something they knew until they were converted by missionaries as slaves. You posted a movie. Youll have to more than that. Some good scholarly material would be nice.

TheTruth101
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by TheTruth101 »

Nickman wrote:
TheTruth101 wrote:
Nickman wrote:

Source

Works cited

2452-2454 and 2465.

Look I justed posted actual evidence of slave religion which states that Christianity was not something they knew until they were converted by missionaries as slaves. You posted a movie. Youll have to more than that. Some good scholarly material would be nice.

Yes, it is me.

There are some more "works" out there that states that Africans adopted the Bible before they were enslaved here to the States.

Will post up links tmr.

bluethread
Savant

Post #19

Post by bluethread »

Nickman wrote:
TheTruth101 wrote:

I have to side with Nickman here. The whole premise of the article is based on the idea that the brothers, Ham, Shem and Yefet, and there descendants separated and rarely intermingled. Though I do think that most of the Hamites settled in Africa, this was only after the hodge podge that was Babel. Therefore, I do not believe Hamite, Shemite and Yefetite are a races. It is my belief that the idea of race was invented for the purpose of one group of people justifying their subjugation of another group of people. Some Shemites and Yefetites may have gone with the Hamites into subequatorial Africa. However, it is my opinion that they all developed similarities in complexion and body structure do to extended isolation.

All of the attempts to elevate Africans as a primal race is just a reaction to similar attempts by Europeans and Asians to do the same and is no less elitist. The value of heritage, which is what, I believe, many dark complected people of African decent are seeking, is in what one can learn from it. It is not in establishing ones identity or superiority. HaTorah makes it clear that Adonai's people are not Adonai's people because they are superior to all others, but because Adonai is superior to all others. Therefore, whether one considers oneself a Hamite, Shemite , Yefetite or any combination of the above, it is one's life philosophy that establishes one's identity. If that happens to align itself with one's physical heredity, then so be it.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by Nickman »

TheTruth101 wrote:
Nickman wrote:
TheTruth101 wrote:
Nickman wrote:

Source

Works cited

2452-2454 and 2465.

Yes, it is me.

There are some more "works" out there that states that Africans adopted the Bible before they were enslaved here to the States.

Will post up links tmr.
Yeah, when they were enslaved by European Christians prior to being taken to America and even the ones long before. Africans had their own gods and none resemble or are correlated with the biblical god or the Christian Jesus. Please provide real evidence.