Willful Rejection of God?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Divine Insight
Savant

Willful Rejection of God?

Post #1

Post by Divine Insight »

aglassdarkly wrote: There are millions of Christians that will testify that they were willfully rejecting God, living immoral lives before they came to believe in and trust God.
The above comment made in another thread inspired me to ask the following questions:

1. Is it true that millions of Christians were immoral people who were willfully rejecting God before they became Christians?

2. If so, what would cause these immoral people to have a change of heart?

3. Also, if they didn't even believe in a God before they became a Christian then how can it be alleged that they had been "willfully rejecting a God" that they didn't even believe in prior to becoming a believer?

4. Are their any Christians who were never immoral people, or who had never willfully and knowingly rejected God?

5. Finally, what about highly moral people who already believe in God through a different spiritual philosophy? Would they need to become immoral people before they could become a Christian? Clearly they are not rejecting God since they already believe in God.

Personal note: The more people evangelize (or even debate) Christianity with me, the more apparent it becomes that the only way I could become a Christian is to first become a highly immoral person who knowingly and willfully rejects God. But why would I want to do that in the first place? To become a Christian would require that I first become an immoral God-rejecting person. And that makes no sense.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Nickman
Site Supporter

Re: Willful Rejection of God?

Post #2

Post by Nickman »

Divine Insight wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote: There are millions of Christians that will testify that they were willfully rejecting God, living immoral lives before they came to believe in and trust God.
The above comment made in another thread inspired me to ask the following questions:

1. Is it true that millions of Christians were immoral people who were willfully rejecting God before they became Christians?

2. If so, what would cause these immoral people to have a change of heart?

3. Also, if they didn't even believe in a God before they became a Christian then how can it be alleged that they had been "willfully rejecting a God" that they didn't even believe in prior to becoming a believer?

4. Are their any Christians who were never immoral people, or who had never willfully and knowingly rejected God?

5. Finally, what about highly moral people who already believe in God through a different spiritual philosophy? Would they need to become immoral people before they could become a Christian? Clearly they are not rejecting God since they already believe in God.

Personal note: The more people evangelize (or even debate) Christianity with me, the more apparent it becomes that the only way I could become a Christian is to first become a highly immoral person who knowingly and willfully rejects God. But why would I want to do that in the first place? To become a Christian would require that I first become an immoral God-rejecting person. And that makes no sense.
I was raised Christian so I didn't know anything else. My baby atheism years are not in my memories. I know now from the perspective of being an atheist that I am not an atheist because I want to willfully disobey a god. I don't willfully disobey Zeus, Shiva, Thor, Osiris or any other deity. Why is it that Christians must insist that I am willfully disobeying their particular god?

As far as people who are not Christians prior to conversion, I don't think they are openly disobeying the Christian god out of rebellion. They just don't care about gods at that point.

Jax Agnesson
Guru

Post #3

Post by Jax Agnesson »

I do not believe the British Parliament has passed a law banning alcohol. I am enjoying a glass of Cab Sauv at the moment. It could be that our parliament passed a prohibition today, and I haven't had the radio on. But I am not 'wilfully disobeying' such a law, I just don't believe it exists.
If I learned that such a prohibition existed, and carried on drinking my wine regardless (which I most certainly would!) then that would be 'wilfully disobeying'.
Likewise at the moment it does not appear likely to me that any Gods exist. So I am not wilfully disobeying any gods' laws.
I could be wrong. If it turned out that some god did exist, and had declared some laws, then I would consider the justice or otherwise of those laws, and then quite wilfully either obey or not.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

[Replying to post 1 by Divine Insight]

Memory is a tricky thing. A potential Christian is taught that he or she has disobeyed their creator, has sinned grievously. Armed with that dogma, he or she looks back on his or her life, through the lens of theologically induced guilt and perceives every misstep, every bad decision as a rebellion against the divine.

Now that I have left Christianity, I can look at the same events for what they are, the mistakes of the poor judgements of youth, the natural drives created by the hormones of adolescence or good intentions gone bad. I can get on with my life as it is now, no need to worry about divine wrath or deflecting it by believing the right things. No need to flatter myself with the notion that the Grand Creator of the Universe even cares what I do.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

aglassdarkly
Scholar

Post #5

Post by aglassdarkly »

These don't seem like they are apologetics questions. Maybe it would better fit into the "questions for a group" or some other place.
Divine Insight wrote: 1. Is it true that millions of Christians were immoral people who were willfully rejecting God before they became Christians?
That can't be proven or disproved here. But all we can offer is personal testimony from Christians. And since I think I'm the first Christian to reply, I'll say I was sinful before Jesus changed my life, and before I put my faith in Him, I was denying Him. (You want to make the debate about being "immoral" but I think the more appropriate word is "sinful"... sin is disobedience to God, failing to meet His standards)
Divine Insight wrote: 2. If so, what would cause these immoral people to have a change of heart?
I don't know. All I know is it happened.
Divine Insight wrote: 3. Also, if they didn't even believe in a God before they became a Christian then how can it be alleged that they had been "willfully rejecting a God" that they didn't even believe in prior to becoming a believer?
From a Christian perspective, everyone is aware of God. If you "don't believe in God," you have made a decision to reject the God you are naturally aware of.
Divine Insight wrote: 4. Are their any Christians who were never immoral people, or who had never willfully and knowingly rejected God?
Not me.

You might find some people who were raised in Christian homes, who don't recall a time when they were rejecting God. They just can't remember a time before they believed in God. That doesn't mean they never willfully rejected God, it just means they don't remember that period.
Divine Insight wrote: 5. Finally, what about highly moral people who already believe in God through a different spiritual philosophy? Would they need to become immoral people before they could become a Christian? Clearly they are not rejecting God since they already believe in God.
We are all sinful people. Even Christians are sinful.

You can believe in something you call "god" without believing in God.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

aglassdarkly wrote: These don't seem like they are apologetics questions. Maybe it would better fit into the "questions for a group" or some other place.
These absolutely are questions that Christian apologists need to address, that's why I posted it in this section. You can't go around proclaiming that everyone is an immoral person and not be expected to support that accusation.
aglassdarkly wrote:
Divine Insight wrote: 1. Is it true that millions of Christians were immoral people who were willfully rejecting God before they became Christians?
That can't be proven or disproved here.
Well, you were the one that made the claim originally. Are you confessing now that you have no stats to back up your empty claims?
aglassdarkly wrote:
Divine Insight wrote: But all we can offer is personal testimony from Christians. And since I think I'm the first Christian to reply, I'll say I was sinful before Jesus changed my life, and before I put my faith in Him, I was denying Him. (You want to make the debate about being "immoral" but I think the more appropriate word is "sinful"... sin is disobedience to God, failing to meet His standards)
You can play with semantics all you want. Your original claim was that people were living immoral lives. By the way, is there such a thing as a "sin" that isn't considered to be immoral in Christianity?
aglassdarkly wrote:
Divine Insight wrote: 2. If so, what would cause these immoral people to have a change of heart?
Happened to who?

Most people I know aren't immoral people who have rejected God. And this is even true of atheists. Most atheist don't "reject" God. They simply see no reason to believe that one even exists.
aglassdarkly wrote:
Divine Insight wrote: 3. Also, if they didn't even believe in a God before they became a Christian then how can it be alleged that they had been "willfully rejecting a God" that they didn't even believe in prior to becoming a believer?
From a Christian perspective, everyone is aware of God. If you "don't believe in God," you have made a decision to reject the God you are naturally aware of.
This is false. There are many people who say that they have absolutely no natural awareness of any God.

You are basically calling all of those people liars.

If someone tells you that they have no natural awareness of any God then who are you to call them a liar? For you to tell them that they have a natural awareness of God when they say they don't is clearly slander on your part. You are demanding that they are lying when you have absolutely no right to make that demand.

This is Christians arrogance gone wild. This is precisely the type of attitude that makes Christianity so highly immoral itself. If you have to make up lies about other people in order to support your faith that's a clear sign that your faith is in deeply flawed.
aglassdarkly wrote:
Divine Insight wrote: 4. Are their any Christians who were never immoral people, or who had never willfully and knowingly rejected God?
Not me.

You might find some people who were raised in Christian homes, who don't recall a time when they were rejecting God. They just can't remember a time before they believed in God. That doesn't mean they never willfully rejected God, it just means they don't remember that period.
IMHO, there's no way that anyone could not recall having willfully rejected a Supreme Supernatural Creator unless they are suffering from some sort of amnesia or other form of dementia.

Rejection of a Supreme Creator is a quite profound thing to do. It's not something that could be done by accident without knowing. In fact, by your very demand it must be "Willful Rejection". You can hardly reject something willfully if you aren't even aware that that you are doing it. That wouldn't constitute "Willful rejection".

Even Jesus proclaimed that those who know not what they do should be forgiven for merely knowing not what they do. And he was talking about people who were actively beating him, mocking, him and nailing him to a pole to die.

Your proselytizing tactic appears to simply be to shove your religion down the throats of other people by accusing them of all manner of wrong-doing and lying. When in fact it's you who is being extremely dishonest about them.

You are refusing to allow other people to speak for themselves, apparently you have decided to pass judgement on them yourself.
aglassdarkly wrote:
Divine Insight wrote: 5. Finally, what about highly moral people who already believe in God through a different spiritual philosophy? Would they need to become immoral people before they could become a Christian? Clearly they are not rejecting God since they already believe in God.
We are all sinful people. Even Christians are sinful.
Christians have absolutely no excuse whatsoever to be sinful people. According to Christianity Jesus, The Christ Almighty, will come into your heart and wash away all of your sins, and become your LORD and savior guiding you through a sinless life if you simply ask him to do this.

If you are a Christian who is continuing to sin, then clearly you have not accepted Jesus as your LORD and savior. Because if you had, you would be sin free at that moment, cleansed of any previous sin by the blood of Jesus as he enters your heart. And there is no excuse for you to ever sin again after that.

Matt.5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

This is Jesus' commandment unto you. If you fail to keep this commandment then it is you who continually rejects your very own God and refuses to obey him.

Unless you are perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect don't even claim to me that you are a Christian, because I won't buy it.

Sinning Christians are no Christians at all as far as I'm concerned. They are as hypocritical as the Pharisees.
You can believe in something you call "god" without believing in God.
No you can't.

If what you are calling God is the creator of reality, then you can't be wrong.

How could you possibly be wrong?

The only way I could be wrong about God is if God isn't the creator of reality. But then it wouldn't be God.

So the only way you can be wrong about a God is if you worship false idols like ancient man-made myths and dogma. Only then can you be wrong.

You'd be far better off tossing religion in the trash and going with any innate feelings you might actually have concerning the existence of any actual God.

Christianity is a hate cult, it uses dogma and Jesus as an excuse to degrade and belittle anyone who doesn't support the Christian cult. But that has nothing to do with God. In fact, it doesn't even have anything to do with Jesus. Christianity is probably the single most anti-Jesus religion on planet earth.

I think even Gandhi had a better appreciation of Jesus than the Christian do.

I certainly know I do.
[center]Image
[/center]

aglassdarkly
Scholar

Post #7

Post by aglassdarkly »

Divine Insight wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
That can't be proven or disproved here.
Well, you were the one that made the claim originally. Are you confessing now that you have no stats to back up your empty claims?
I don't appreciate your tone.

I said millions of Christians would testify to their own sinfulness and rejection of God pre-conversion. I can only offer my testimony. A lack of statistics doesn't make the claim empty.

Are you arguing that my claim is false because I don't have statistics to back it up?
Divine Insight wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote: But all we can offer is personal testimony from Christians. And since I think I'm the first Christian to reply, I'll say I was sinful before Jesus changed my life, and before I put my faith in Him, I was denying Him. (You want to make the debate about being "immoral" but I think the more appropriate word is "sinful"... sin is disobedience to God, failing to meet His standards)
You can play with semantics all you want. Your original claim was that people were living immoral lives. By the way, is there such a thing as a "sin" that isn't considered to be immoral in Christianity?
I'm just trying to be precise with my wording, do you have a problem with my precision? In my original claim, I was using the wording that was already being used in the thread. But since you singled it out, I thought a more precise understanding was in order.
Divine Insight wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
Happened to who?
Happened to me, of course.
Divine Insight wrote: Most people I know aren't immoral people who have rejected God. And this is even true of atheists. Most atheist don't "reject" God. They simply see no reason to believe that one even exists.
How do you know their hearts are not inclined to sin? Have you looked that deeply into their consciousness/soul/psyche? Do you know these people so well that you can confidently say that they are fully unaware of God, even at a subconscious or spiritual level?

Or is this just you restating your presupposition?

Will this whole thing just consistently be leading us back to your assumption that people aren't sinful and haven't willfully rejected God?
Divine Insight wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
This is false.
Not false.
Divine Insight wrote: There are many people who say that they have absolutely no natural awareness of any God.

You are basically calling all of those people liars.
We all lie. The lies that hurt the most are the lies we tell ourselves. You can lie to yourself so much that you begin to actually believe the lie. The Bible says that God can eventually give people over to their sinfulness, and at that point I don't think they'd be willfully lying if they said they have no awareness of God.
Divine Insight wrote: If someone tells you that they have no natural awareness of any God then who are you to call them a liar?
If someone lies, should no one call them a liar?
Divine Insight wrote: For you to tell them that they have a natural awareness of God when they say they don't is clearly slander on your part.
Only if it's not true.

You're assuming that you are right, without offering an actual argument. This is a debate forum. You should have an argument.

southern cross
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by southern cross »

[Replying to post 7 by aglassdarkly]
How do you know their hearts are not inclined to sin?
Because sin is a concept valid only in some minds, it doesn't exist in reality. Blood is what you find if you look into a heart, as well.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #9

Post by Divine Insight »

aglassdarkly wrote: Are you arguing that my claim is false because I don't have statistics to back it up?
You claimed that millions of people had led immoral lives and had willfully rejected God prior to converting to Christianity.

I'm saying that if you don't have statistics to back up that claim then, yes, it should be seen as nothing more than mere wishful thinking on your part.

Evidently you would like for this to be true because you feel that this would somehow support your religious faith. Personally I think it supports your faith even if it were true. But I think you'd have a very hard time showing that millions of Christians were both immoral and willfully rejecting God prior to being converted to Christianity.

So without statistics to back up your claims then your claims are indeed reduced to nothing more than a person opinion. In fact, there are forum rules that when you make a claim you need to either back it up with evidence, or confess that it is indeed nothing more than your own hopeful opinion.

aglassdarkly wrote: How do you know their hearts are not inclined to sin? Have you looked that deeply into their consciousness/soul/psyche? Do you know these people so well that you can confidently say that they are fully unaware of God, even at a subconscious or spiritual level?

Or is this just you restating your presupposition?

Will this whole thing just consistently be leading us back to your assumption that people aren't sinful and haven't willfully rejected God?
Unlike you, I allow people to speak for themselves.

If they tell me that they aren't immoral people and they have never willfully rejected God, then I accept their word on this. I also happen to know that this is true for me, therefore I have no problem accepting that it can also be true for some others.

I don't reject your claim that you were an immoral person who was willfully rejecting God. I've met other people who make that claim as well. So I don't doubt that such people do indeed exist. But I have no reason to believe that everyone is like you.

aglassdarkly wrote: We all lie. The lies that hurt the most are the lies we tell ourselves. You can lie to yourself so much that you begin to actually believe the lie. The Bible says that God can eventually give people over to their sinfulness, and at that point I don't think they'd be willfully lying if they said they have no awareness of God.
No, this isn't true. We don't all lie. It may be true that we all have lied at some point in our lives, such as when we were immature. However, many of us have matured to a level where we realize that there simply is no need to lie. And so we stop lying at that point. No need for any supernatural intervention.

We don't continue to lie after that. Do you?

Moreover, when it comes to Christianity I could never claim to believe that that Bible is true because that most certainly would indeed be a lie.

It has been my conclusion that the Bible is utterly absurd and outright ignorant in places. It is filled with blatant contradictions and self-inconsistencies. Even the Gospels have Jesus renouncing the immoral commandment that the God of the Old Testament had given.

The truth is that I am completely convinced that Jesus could not have been the son of the fictitious God of Abraham, and that the fables of the fictitious God of Abraham are indeed as false as the Greek fables of Zeus.

This is my truth. And therefore if there exists a God I must tell this God the truth that I do indeed reject the Hebrew fables of God based on their utter absurdity and blatant contradictions. Not to mention, that IMHO, they God they describe would necessarily be extremely inept and immoral himself.

That is true, my friend.

Therefore for me to even pretend to become a Christan would necessity be a lie.

Yet unfortunately the Christians are constantly after me to become a liar. :roll:

Go figure.
aglassdarkly wrote: If someone lies, should no one call them a liar?
If you call someone a liar you better have proof otherwise it's slander.

I don't call you a liar for claiming to have been an immoral person who was willfully rejecting God prior to converting to Christianity. I accept that this is true.

In fact, since you claim to still be a sinner I see no reason to believe that anything has even changed much.

However, if someone tells you that they are neither an immoral person, nor are they willfully rejecting any God, then you have no right to call them a liar, unless you can prove that they are indeed lying, which clearly you cannot.

Thus your accusations against them amount to nothing more than slander brought about by your religious bigotry.
aglassdarkly wrote:
Divine Insight wrote: For you to tell them that they have a natural awareness of God when they say they don't is clearly slander on your part.
Only if it's not true.

You're assuming that you are right, without offering an actual argument. This is a debate forum. You should have an argument.
I know I'm right in my case. Therefore I am living proof that I am right.

I don't question your claim to have been an immoral person who was willfully rejecting God. Why do you question my claim that I'm a moral person who has never rejected God in my entire life.

I'm not even an atheist. I've been a deeply spiritual person from my earliest childhood memories. I've always felt the presence of God and there has never been a time when I have not.

This doesn't make Greek mythology of Zeus true, nor does it mean that that the mythology of the God of Judaism, Islam, Catholicism, or any of the myriad of protestation Protestantisms true.

You are judging people based solely on religion. IMHO, you have no clue about God at all. You are apparently obsessed with religion, and with judging other people via religious bigotry, and therefore I'm not surprised when you say that you continue to sin. :roll:

As I've already pointed out Jesus himself taught people not to sin and to even be perfect as their Father in heaven is perfect. If you truly believe in Jesus then why do you not follow his advice? Why do you continue to sin?

As far as I can see, if you claim to be following Jesus as your LORD and savior, then you should indeed be perfectly sinless and never sin again for the rest of your life. You have no excuse to sin with Jesus as your LORD and savior.

In fact, if you are still sinning with Jesus as your LORD and savior that doesn't say much for the effectiveness of your religion.
[center]Image
[/center]

aglassdarkly
Scholar

Post #10

Post by aglassdarkly »

Divine Insight wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote: Are you arguing that my claim is false because I don't have statistics to back it up?
You claimed that millions of people had led immoral lives and had willfully rejected God prior to converting to Christianity.

I'm saying that if you don't have statistics to back up that claim then, yes, it should be seen as nothing more than mere wishful thinking on your part.
So you're saying it's false because I haven't provided statistics to back it up? Or it's false because there aren't statistics to back it up?