Question for Christians ...

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Question for Christians ...

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

I would like someone to recommend to me a really good book of Christian Apologetics. Surely someone can do better than Josh McDowell's Evidence Demands A Verdict.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by Goat »

achilles12604 wrote:I have found three that are all pretty good with the apologist arguements.

1) Reasonable Faith; William Lane Craig
2) The Case for Christ; Lee Strobel (this is more of a glossing of many topics rather than indepth study)
3) JEsus under Fire

If you are interested in Creation arguements . . . .

The Creation Hypothesis; William Dembski

For a good overview of biblical archeology . . .

Archeology and the New Testament; Dr. John McRay

There are a few. What do you think?
I can't comment on 'reasonable faith' or "Jesus under fire', but 'The Case for Christ' is pretty badly written, full of misinformation, and a rehash of every bad apologist there is.

The 'Creation Hypothesis', to which Dembski was a contributor, is a bit better written than most of the 'Creationist' arguements, but still suffers fatal flaws in the presentation and analysis.

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by achilles12604 »

goat wrote:
achilles12604 wrote:I have found three that are all pretty good with the apologist arguements.

1) Reasonable Faith; William Lane Craig
2) The Case for Christ; Lee Strobel (this is more of a glossing of many topics rather than indepth study)
3) JEsus under Fire

If you are interested in Creation arguements . . . .

The Creation Hypothesis; William Dembski

For a good overview of biblical archeology . . .

Archeology and the New Testament; Dr. John McRay

There are a few. What do you think?
I can't comment on 'reasonable faith' or "Jesus under fire', but 'The Case for Christ' is pretty badly written, full of misinformation, and a rehash of every bad apologist there is.

The 'Creation Hypothesis', to which Dembski was a contributor, is a bit better written than most of the 'Creationist' arguements, but still suffers fatal flaws in the presentation and analysis.
Ah but isn't that what we are all here to decide . . . What is good and what is misinformation?

Now we have your opinion and it really doesn't surprise me much. Basically this debate will only end with the ending of the world. It is fun though huh?
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #23

Post by achilles12604 »

Having recently read these I can highly recommend them.

"The Language of God" Francis Collins (he also recently debated Richard Dawkins in Time magazine

"Coming to peace with Science" Falk
It is a first class human tragedy that people of the earth who claim to believe in the message of Jesus, whom they describe as the Prince of Peace, show little of that belief in actual practice.

zahndervan

Post #24

Post by zahndervan »

Mere Christianity by CS Lewis is amazing. But what exactly are you looking for?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by McCulloch »

zahndervan wrote:Mere Christianity by CS Lewis is amazing. But what exactly are you looking for?
I do not believe that we arrive at the truth by reviewing only one side of any issue. I have read the Bible, certain apologists for Christian faith and certain skeptics and have concluded that the case for the Christian faith is not compelling.

However, outside of this debate forum, I have not had a good read of someone who can make an evidential case for Christianity in quite some time. My most recent foray into that field was Josh McDowell and Lee Strobel and I found them most disappointing.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Biker

Post #26

Post by Biker »

McCulloch wrote:
zahndervan wrote:Mere Christianity by CS Lewis is amazing. But what exactly are you looking for?
I do not believe that we arrive at the truth by reviewing only one side of any issue. I have read the Bible, certain apologists for Christian faith and certain skeptics and have concluded that the case for the Christian faith is not compelling.

However, outside of this debate forum, I have not had a good read of someone who can make an evidential case for Christianity in quite some time. My most recent foray into that field was Josh McDowell and Lee Strobel and I found them most disappointing.
Mac,
What have you read other than McDowell and Stroebel?

Biker

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #27

Post by achilles12604 »

McCulloch wrote:

I'll write a book for you ok McC?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #28

Post by McCulloch »

McCulloch wrote:I do not believe that we arrive at the truth by reviewing only one side of any issue. I have read the Bible, certain apologists for Christian faith and certain skeptics and have concluded that the case for the Christian faith is not compelling.

Biker wrote:What have you read other than McDowell and Stroebel?
Not very much, which is why I am making inquiries. If I go to the local bookstore, there is lots of drivel, but I don't know which ones might be challenging and which ones echo the same fallacies as McDowell and Stroebel. I have read C. S. Lewis and long ago some Francis Schaeffer.
achilles12604 wrote:I'll write a book for you ok McC?
Please, don't go to the trouble of writing a book on my behalf. However, if you do feel compelled to write a book, I volunteer to review the draft for logical fallacies and grammar errors.
Gospel of John

achilles12604
Site Supporter

Post #29

Post by achilles12604 »

McCulloch wrote:
McCulloch wrote:I do not believe that we arrive at the truth by reviewing only one side of any issue. I have read the Bible, certain apologists for Christian faith and certain skeptics and have concluded that the case for the Christian faith is not compelling.

Biker wrote:What have you read other than McDowell and Stroebel?
Not very much, which is why I am making inquiries. If I go to the local bookstore, there is lots of drivel, but I don't know which ones might be challenging and which ones echo the same fallacies as McDowell and Stroebel. I have read C. S. Lewis and long ago some Francis Schaeffer.
achilles12604 wrote:I'll write a book for you ok McC?
Please, don't go to the trouble of writing a book on my behalf. However, if you do feel compelled to write a book, I volunteer to review the draft for logical fallacies and grammar errors.
I appreciate that. I'll have the first draft around 2025

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #30

Post by McCulloch »

achilles12604 wrote:I'll have the first draft around 2025.
Excellent! I'll turn sixty-five that year and will probably have a bit of spare time to devote to the task.
Gospel of John