? A Question For All Former Christians Who Fell Away ?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

YahDough
Under Probation

? A Question For All Former Christians Who Fell Away ?

Post #1

Post by YahDough »

This is a question addressed only to former Christians who have left the faith.

Why did you become a Christian?
[/b]

YahDough
Under Probation

Re: ? A Question For All Former Christians Who Fell Away ?

Post #231

Post by YahDough »

Divine Insight wrote:
YahDough wrote: I don't always know what to expect from "rational individuals".
I wouldn't question that claim in the least.
Yes, and that's why I put "rational individuals" in quotes. People whose 'rationale' is self-serving and indulgent are unpredictable.
YahDough wrote: But I am learning to expect the ungodly ones to "rant" against and reject the Truth.
Well, before you label people as being "ungodly" I would suggest that you first provide some sort of rational evidence that the term has any meaning.
I don't have to "label" people as ungodly. They know who they are.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #232

Post by Divine Insight »

YahDough wrote:
Divine Insight wrote:
Yes, and that's why I put "rational individuals" in quotes. People whose 'rationale' is self-serving and indulgent are unpredictable.
YahDough wrote: But I am learning to expect the ungodly ones to "rant" against and reject the Truth.
Well, before you label people as being "ungodly" I would suggest that you first provide some sort of rational evidence that the term has any meaning.
Based on what you have said here then I can only imagine that you see only scientists as being rational people who don't rant against truth.

I would agree.

But I see no reason to bring the term "ungodly" in to the conversation at all since there are no rational reasons to believe that any God exists, and the truth appears to be that there is overwhelming evidence against the existence of any Gods. Not only overwhelming scientific evidence against them, but overwhelming rational logic against them as well.

If the term "godly" is simply being used as a metaphor for those who seek truth, then scientists are the most "godly" people of all. Of course, that would just be an abstract concept, but yes, I can see your point that seeking truth would be in harmony with that metaphorical concept. That's what scientists do above and beyond everyone else, they seek truth.

So secular scientists are the most "godly" people on earth. (Using your metaphor)

I actually knew that for many decades now. ;)

And like you say, those people who rant against the truth are the ungodly ones. Ironically that would include almost all theists.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #233

Post by YahDough »

Divine Insight wrote:
YahDough wrote:
Divine Insight wrote:
Based on what you have said here then I can only imagine that you see only scientists as being rational people who don't rant against truth.
You imagine incorrectly. "Scientists" are not immune to irrationality that leads them to "rant against the truth". There are ungodly scientists. But the concept of ungodliness covers a lot of territory from thinking to behavior. Ungodly people both deny God and live in defiance of Him. Science can be lost in the pursuit of science when we take our Creator God out of the picture. Now that's ironic.
I would agree.
No, it appears you don't.

KenRU
Guru

Post #234

Post by KenRU »

YahDough wrote:
Does the "ungodly" include other Christians who "got it wrong"? Other religions such as Islam and Buddhists? How about the Jews? Are they considered ungodly?

Or is it just the atheists?
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #235

Post by OnceConvinced »

One could argue that ALL Christians are ungodly, especially if there is no such thing as God.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #236

Post by YahDough »

KenRU wrote:
YahDough wrote:
Does the "ungodly" include other Christians who "got it wrong"? Other religions such as Islam and Buddhists? How about the Jews? Are they considered ungodly?

A little introspection and self-awareness should make it clear how one stands with "God" and whether they are godly or not. A "godly atheist" doesn't sound quite right, but anyone can exhibit virtuous characteristics that might be considered godly, even if they don't believe in God.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #237

Post by Divine Insight »

YahDough wrote: A little introspection and self-awareness should make it clear how one stands with "God" and whether they are godly or not.
If there is no "God" then the concept of "standing with God" makes no sense. And all the introspection and self-awareness in the world can't change that.
YahDough wrote: A "godly atheist" doesn't sound quite right, but anyone can exhibit virtuous characteristics that might be considered godly, even if they don't believe in God.
That's right, an atheist can indeed be a "godly" person when the term "godly" is simply meant to imply virtuous. There are many virtuous atheists, and therefore in the abstract sense of the term it is safe to say that many atheists are "godly", although there's no point in using that term with an atheists. It would be clearer and serve language and communication better to simply say that they are virtuous.

There is no need to bring terms like "godly" into a secular conversation.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

KenRU
Guru

Post #238

Post by KenRU »

YahDough wrote:
KenRU wrote:
YahDough wrote:

A little introspection and self-awareness should make it clear how one stands with "God" and whether they are godly or not. A "godly atheist" doesn't sound quite right, but anyone can exhibit virtuous characteristics that might be considered godly, even if they don't believe in God.
While I appreciate the verbal banter, your response doesn't answer my question. Please elaborate what YOU mean by (or consider to be) "ungodly". Thanks!
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #239

Post by Nickman »

YahDough wrote:
KenRU wrote:
YahDough wrote:

Does "godly" include all of the horrible things that he demanded in the OT? If that is "godly" then I would fall under "ungodly" because I do not and would not do what was asked in the OT. I think the correct word would be "virtuous." This term outweighs the term "godly" because it is not tainted with the horrible things that this supposed God did or demanded.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #240

Post by Nickman »

KenRU wrote:
YahDough wrote:
KenRU wrote:
YahDough wrote:

While I appreciate the verbal banter, your response doesn't answer my question. Please elaborate what YOU mean by (or consider to be) "ungodly". Thanks!
The way I see it is that any term like "godly" can be used like "Mormon" because it carries baggage. "Godly" really has no true definition.