? A Question For All Former Christians Who Fell Away ?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

YahDough
Under Probation

? A Question For All Former Christians Who Fell Away ?

Post #1

Post by YahDough »

This is a question addressed only to former Christians who have left the faith.

Why did you become a Christian?
[/b]

KenRU
Guru

Re: ? A Question For All Former Christians Who Fell Away ?

Post #221

Post by KenRU »

[Replying to post 219 by Divine Insight]

Perhaps when YahDough cut and paste from his Creationist site, he never read what it contained. It's tough to imagine (comical actually) that Yah would think that one of the world's leading evolutionary biologist believes his own field has been debunked.

-all the best
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." -Steven Weinberg

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #222

Post by OnceConvinced »

YahDough wrote:
Children who are indoctrinated into Christianity from birth, without a born again experience of their own can get false understanding of who Christ is and what He requires. So it become much easier to "shake Him off" than carry the cross He asks us to.
I would say that if you are indoctrinated into Christianity, then being born again would be taught to you as something you need to do. It certainly was for me. Going to Sunday school I was always taught that you must be born again. And being a gullible child, believing everything your parents and Sunday School teachers are telling you, you will believe it without question and you will sincerely go through the religious ritual of the sinner's prayer and thus be born again. I doubt there are many small indoctrinated children who have NOT gone through that process and done it because it was expected of them and they wanted to please the adults and also God.

For me and many others like me, it was a sincere act. Did I fully understand what I was doing? Maybe not, which is why I rededicated my life to God as a teenager. It wasn't until I was 16 when I finally got water baptized. My parents wanted to make sure I fully understood it all before I did get baptized.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #223

Post by OnceConvinced »

Nickman wrote:
YahDough wrote:
Children who are indoctrinated into Christianity from birth, without a born again experience of their own can get false understanding of who Christ is and what He requires. So it become much easier to "shake Him off" than carry the cross He asks us to.
I would argue the opposite. Being born into something that your whole life, family friends, and everything around you revolves is much harder than a person who converts. The shame you go through when you have come to the conclusion that your deeply held beliefs are incorrect is much harder when you have to face your family and friends, your wife, your kids. So to put it frankly, the decision for the one born into the faith is much harder and that causes the doubter to have to really investigate as to not ruin the life that they share with so many fellow believers.
So true! I have been an Ex-Christian now for 8 years but the majority of my friends and family don't realize this. I have kept it under my hat. I know that I would be shunned by many while being made a target of evangelism by others. I am very cautious about who I reveal it to. Even my mother still preaches at me as if I am still believer, but just a slightly slack one for no longer going to church. If my mother knew the full truth, she would be nagging and nagging at me, preaching and preaching. We would get into some major arguments and just piss each other off. She would also be heartbroken too.

Why would I put her or me through that?

BTW, great to see you are still around Nickman!

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #224

Post by Nickman »

OnceConvinced wrote:
Nickman wrote:
YahDough wrote:
I would argue the opposite. Being born into something that your whole life, family friends, and everything around you revolves is much harder than a person who converts. The shame you go through when you have come to the conclusion that your deeply held beliefs are incorrect is much harder when you have to face your family and friends, your wife, your kids. So to put it frankly, the decision for the one born into the faith is much harder and that causes the doubter to have to really investigate as to not ruin the life that they share with so many fellow believers.
So true! I have been an Ex-Christian now for 8 years but the majority of my friends and family don't realize this. I have kept it under my hat. I know that I would be shunned by many while being made a target of evangelism by others. I am very cautious about who I reveal it to. Even my mother still preaches at me as if I am still believer, but just a slightly slack one for no longer going to church. If my mother knew the full truth, she would be nagging and nagging at me, preaching and preaching. We would get into some major arguments and just piss each other off. She would also be heartbroken too.

Why would I put her or me through that?

BTW, great to see you are still around Nickman!
Thanks, I took a break for a bit, but always have that itch to debate. It is a great outlet.

It is tough making that decision. I was stupid and came out immediately and ruined a marriage, even though it probably wouldn't have lasted if I came out more cautiously. Being married to someone so devoted that they don't care about facts even when provided to them would never last.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #225

Post by OnceConvinced »

Nickman wrote:
It is tough making that decision. I was stupid and came out immediately and ruined a marriage, even though it probably wouldn't have lasted if I came out more cautiously. Being married to someone so devoted that they don't care about facts even when provided to them would never last.
I am currently in a relationship with a woman who claims to be a Christian, but she hates churches and would rather avoid the people in them. She sees them mainly as hypocrites. I don't see her as an "Active" Christian, but she gets upset if I give her any atheists arguments. She's the type who blocks her ears and doesn't even want to hear it. She just can't handle hearing anything that might shatter her beliefs. A very weak faith no doubt. So I just don't bother talking to her about religion. Avoids conflict.

It's a tough one. Many Christians really just don't understand how much of a big deal losing ones faith is. They probably never will unless it happens to them.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #226

Post by Nickman »

OnceConvinced wrote:
Nickman wrote:
I am currently in a relationship with a woman who claims to be a Christian, but she hates churches and would rather avoid the people in them. She sees them mainly as hypocrites. I don't see her as an "Active" Christian, but she gets upset if I give her any atheists arguments. She's the type who blocks her ears and doesn't even want to hear it. She just can't handle hearing anything that might shatter her beliefs. A very weak faith no doubt. So I just don't bother talking to her about religion. Avoids conflict.

It's a tough one. Many Christians really just don't understand how much of a big deal losing ones faith is. They probably never will unless it happens to them.
I am in the same boat. My girl is Catholic, but not very devout until the subject comes up. We rarely ever talk about it. Luckily she understands my position and I understand hers. She does her thing and I do mine. It works pretty good. I have even went to church with her on a few occasions just to show her I support her no matter what our differences may be.

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #227

Post by YahDough »

McCulloch wrote:
YahDough wrote:
Evolution has a mountain of evidence to support its accuracy.
Ever hear of "making mountains out of mole hills?"
Creation has the (rhema) word of God to support its accuracy.
It would be more correct to say that creation has the word of those who claim to speak for God as support. Evolution has actual evidence.
The evidence of evolution is fabricated from false assumptions.
YahDough wrote:With Creation there is a starting point. Evolution can't even address the beginning point. Evolution theory just assumes the process.
It is correct that evolution does not address the starting point. It looks at what does exist: the diversity of living entities, and provides a process that explains it and that matches available evidence.
No. Evolution is just a wrong guess promoted by ungodly men to try to take the Creator God out of the picture.
YahDough wrote:
Still, not knowing how life started does not disprove the fact that evolution occurs.
Yes it does. Without a "start point" there is nothing to "evolve."
Of course there was a starting point. The fact that we have yet to uncover all of the details of that starting point does not nullify what we have learned about the process since then.
The starting point was the "Beginning" of time. That's when the "paintbrush" of God went to work. In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Last edited by YahDough on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #228

Post by Divine Insight »

YahDough wrote: Evolution is just a wrong guess promoted by ungodly men to try to take the Creator God out of the picture.
Surely you don't seriously expect any rational individuals to accept the position you have just proposed here?
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #229

Post by YahDough »

Divine Insight wrote:
YahDough wrote: Evolution is just a wrong guess promoted by ungodly men to try to take the Creator God out of the picture.
Surely you don't seriously expect any rational individuals to accept the position you have just proposed here?
I don't always know what to expect from "rational individuals". But I am learning to expect the ungodly ones to "rant" against and reject the Truth.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #230

Post by Divine Insight »

YahDough wrote: I don't always know what to expect from "rational individuals".
I wouldn't question that claim in the least.
YahDough wrote: But I am learning to expect the ungodly ones to "rant" against and reject the Truth.
Well, before you label people as being "ungodly" I would suggest that you first provide some sort of rational evidence that the term has any meaning.

And obviously since I expect that you would be referencing this label to a particular "God" you should first provide rational evidence that the God exists.

Because let's not forget that many people who believe in God's that you don't believe in would no doubt label you to be an "ungodly" person as well.

For example Christians accuse Muslims as being "ungodly" and Muslims accuse Christians of being "ungodly". So ironically all believers in the Abrahamic religions are necessarily "ungodly" according to their own Abrahamic brothers. ;)
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]