Book of Mormon

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Book of Mormon

Post #1

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Recently saw the Book of Mormon in London (expensive tickets....ouch!). It received a very warm standing ovation and I really enjoyed it. (Maybe not £160 enjoyed it but enjoy it I did).

But is the Book of Mormon picking on easy targets? Is there a more restrained and politely civil religion than Mormonism. But not all are so nice to their detractors.

Is the New Testament too hot to mock? I don't think the Life of Brian mocked the NT, or if it did, not in the full on way the BoT gets its teeth into the BoT. If the Book of Mormon had been the Book of the NT would it have even been allowed to open? Would there be a backlash if it had?

Clearly in present times the Qur'an is too hot unless the writers wanted to spend the rest of their life in hiding with a body guard. True the writers of South Park did put Mohammad in a bear suit, but that is about as far as they dare push it. (Drawing a bear and saying Mohammed was inside it). Can we dream of a day when irreverence breaks out in Islam and Mohammad can come out the bear suit?

Or for the time being are we - of an irreverent nature - going to restrict our mockery to the oh so polite religions and turn a little pale in the face of the more forceful religions.

LittleNipper
Scholar

Re: Book of Mormon

Post #51

Post by LittleNipper »

As for Biblical error, please regard the following: https://www.compellingtruth.org/Bible-errors.html

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #52

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:53 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:39 am
LittleNipper wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:00 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:15 pm

The ego you have!

You spew a bunch of garbage - literal fallacies - then claim it's cool, tasty water that I'd be silly not to drink!

You didn't lead me to a fountain. You lead me to a bilge, filled with regurgitated backwash that has stagnated for centuries among pedophile priests and self-flagellating lunatics who come by to fill their gingivitis-afflicted mouths before spitting it back up on whoever they feel needs to be doused in their bile-filled rants.
The ego I have? What about yours? I'm very sorry that you were brought up in seemingly a Catholic church (or so you've referenced it). They practice "religion" mixed with ecumenical politics. They are entrenched in salvation through works and through Mary in as a sort of super mom whose somehow equal with JESUS, or at the very least a go between who is able to sway HIM in his decision making. Neither is true. I'm a Bible believing Christian and make no bones about it. I don't in anyway attempt to interpret the Bible to either suit societies latest fads nor the most recent whims of scientific speculation. And frankly I find it abhorrent to do so, because everyone with a brain knows that fads come and go and scientific research are always discovering what's contrary, but GOD and the HIS word remain the same.
The Bible is a fad. It was written by a host of people, books were voted on by more people. The most popular books were voted into the Canon, the unpopular ones rejected. You can claim all you want that the Bible is the word of God - but have you confirmed that with God? Seems you've only confirmed it with your feelings.

Jesus was a fad. It's the "NEW" Testament. Even Judaism was the new religion at one point.

You don't even have the capacity to consider the Bible isn't the actual word of God. You have decided to declare the Bible the truth. Maybe because some guy told you it's the truth.

I have to wonder how you decide that it's the truth? You just feel like it is?

Great! That's the same answer a Muslim gives for the Koran, or a Mormon gives about his text.

The truth is, you are a Religious Zealot who believes they are right because it comforts you. Because you've been taught that it's the truth. You only bluster about knowing the truth, and about knowing the "True Religion"... Read my quote from Omar Khayyam: Believe what you want, you are going to anyhow. You have decided you are one of the few to know the REAL truth about the world. Sure, God picked you out special! You are special! God loves you and you alone! You alone know the secrets to the universe... go on, believe it!

Truth is: You have no idea how God feels about the issue. And you can ask him, but he isn't answering, is he?
Both the Mormons and the Muslims use the Bible as the Foundation for their "additional books". And you're an atheist, so just how would you know anything regarding GOD? As for the canon of scripture, if you are at all interested, you may wish to read the following: https://www.compellingtruth.org/canon-Bible.html
I've read all about it, Little Nipper. Why do you assume I haven't? I've probably read far more on the subject than you have ever dreamed!
I was a Christian - like you. I believed, read the Bible, pleaded for God to reveal himself, begged for Jesus to help me in my hours of need. Went to church, was baptized. Was part of the Youth Group, went to Jesus Camp, rode the Jesus bus to that camp, was cornered by priests who demanded I rebuke Satan and swear my allegiance to Jesus, was touched too much by an obviously gay Priest. Was chastised by Catholics for being Baptist. Feared God and Hell, was ashamed of masturbation throughout my teens. Had such low self-esteem because I thought I was a horrible sinner unworthy of love - as we were taught. Read Josh McDowell cover to cover and went to the streets to talk to strangers about Jesus. Sang in the choir, played guitar for services. Had a Christian girlfriend who went to a Christian College - who's sisters were Wesleyan and more devout than she was (she was also very promiscuous). I've created a massive spreadsheet on the early formation of the Bible, including the apocrypha up to around 400 CE - including the research that went into it. I've discussed these things for decades.

I had the full, Christian experience. And then I grew up.

And, I'm not unique among atheists.

I know your religion feels all new and fresh to you right now. It feels great to be part of something, but when you realize it is no different from EST or Mormonism, or any other group that simply needs warm bodies to keep the cash flowing, you'll wake up to the fact that you're being used.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #53

Post by LittleNipper »

boatsnguitars wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:56 pm

The ego you have!

You spew a bunch of garbage - literal fallacies - then claim it's cool, tasty water that I'd be silly not to drink!

You didn't lead me to a fountain. You lead me to a bilge, filled with regurgitated backwash that has stagnated for centuries among pedophile priests and self-flagellating lunatics who come by to fill their gingivitis-afflicted mouths before spitting it back up on whoever they feel needs to be doused in their bile-filled rants.
The ego I have? What about yours? I'm very sorry that you were brought up in seemingly a Catholic church (or so you've referenced it). They practice "religion" mixed with ecumenical politics. They are entrenched in salvation through works and through Mary in as a sort of super mom whose somehow equal with JESUS, or at the very least a go between who is able to sway HIM in his decision making. Neither is true. I'm a Bible believing Christian and make no bones about it. I don't in anyway attempt to interpret the Bible to either suit societies latest fads nor the most recent whims of scientific speculation. And frankly I find it abhorrent to do so, because everyone with a brain knows that fads come and go and scientific research are always discovering what's contrary, but GOD and the HIS word remain the same.
The Bible is a fad. It was written by a host of people, books were voted on by more people. The most popular books were voted into the Canon, the unpopular ones rejected. You can claim all you want that the Bible is the word of God - but have you confirmed that with God? Seems you've only confirmed it with your feelings.

Jesus was a fad. It's the "NEW" Testament. Even Judaism was the new religion at one point.

You don't even have the capacity to consider the Bible isn't the actual word of God. You have decided to declare the Bible the truth. Maybe because some guy told you it's the truth.

Great! That's the same answer a Muslim gives for the Koran, or a Mormon gives about his text.

The truth is, you are a Religious Zealot who believes they are right because it comforts you. Because you've been taught that it's the truth. You only bluster about knowing the truth, and about knowing the "True Religion"... Read my quote from Omar Khayyam: Believe what you want, you are going to anyhow. You have decided you are one of the few to know the REAL truth about the world. Sure, God picked you out special! You are special! God loves you and you alone! You alone know the secrets to the universe... go on, believe it!

Truth is: You have no idea how God feels about the issue. And you can ask him, but he isn't answering, is he?
Both the Mormons and the Muslims use the Bible as the Foundation for their "additional books". And you're an atheist, so just how would you know anything regarding GOD? As for the canon of scripture, if you are at all interested, you may wish to read the following: https://www.compellingtruth.org/canon-Bible.html
I've read all about it, Little Nipper. Why do you assume I haven't? I've probably read far more on the subject than you have ever dreamed!
I was a Christian - like you. I believed, read the Bible, pleaded for God to reveal himself, begged for Jesus to help me in my hours of need. Went to church, was baptized. Was part of the Youth Group, went to Jesus Camp, rode the Jesus bus to that camp, was cornered by priests who demanded I rebuke Satan and swear my allegiance to Jesus, was touched too much by an obviously gay Priest. Was chastised by Catholics for being Baptist. Feared God and Hell, was ashamed of masturbation throughout my teens. Had such low self-esteem because I thought I was a horrible sinner unworthy of love - as we were taught. Read Josh McDowell cover to cover and went to the streets to talk to strangers about Jesus. Sang in the choir, played guitar for services. Had a Christian girlfriend who went to a Christian College - who's sisters were Wesleyan and more devout than she was (she was also very promiscuous). I've created a massive spreadsheet on the early formation of the Bible, including the apocrypha up to around 400 CE - including the research that went into it. I've discussed these things for decades.

I know your religion feels all new and fresh to you right now. It feels great to be part of something, but when you realize it is no different from EST or Mormonism, or any other group that simply needs warm bodies to keep the cash flowing, you'll wake up to the fact that you're being used.
Sir, you are connected to an individual who made a formal decision for CHRIST when 12, and now has been retired for quite some time. I remember the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, etc., etc... I've had my wild moments, but I've seen atheism as empty and merely an excuse to live irresponsibly/selfishly or because one is trying to force GOD"S hand ------ much like Judas. Neither is very fulfilling...

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #54

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:37 pm

The ego you have!

Sir, you are connected to an individual who made a formal decision for CHRIST when 12, and now has been retired for quite some time. I remember the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, etc., etc... I've had my wild moments, but I've seen atheism as empty and merely an excuse to live irresponsibly/selfishly or because one is trying to force GOD"S hand ------ much like Judas. Neither is very fulfilling...
Yep, that makes sense. You are clinging to a 12 year old's belief. That doesn't seem strange to you?

I often make fun of people saying "you are arguing for a belief you chose when you were 12" - and I'm often right. The Church specifically targets the young and tries to get children right about 12 to commit their lives to the church. I was baptised at 12!

You are - I'm afraid - a cliche'.

12 years old... smh... And you think that's something to be proud of? I became a Pats fan at 12. I also liked to play with GI Joe, and Micronauts and watch Bugs Bunny.
I believed that I might be able to fly if I flapped my arms fast enough. I believed I could slip a book under my pillow and learn the contents. I believed I would be an astronaut one day.

And, here, you are making the single most profound decision in your life based on what your pastor told you was the truth - and you proclaim it proudly! Like we ought to be in awe at your maturity and remarkable foresight! My goodness! What a remarkable achievement! You chose a religion - at 12! And you haven't wavered (or barely wavered?) over all those years!

Good thing you weren't born in Iran, eh? Or Japan, or China, or India... But, I imagine 12-year-old LitteNipper would have seen through all the farce of those religions! You were so sharp and insightful to choose wisely the first time around after - I am sure - a very extensive examination of all religious traditions and beliefs. Why would we think otherwise?! Why else would you be so proud to announce your firm choice of a religion at such an early age if you hadn't gone through all that research and investigation?

After all, choosing a religion at 12, after your pastor has had time to work on your emotions to work you up into a fervor wouldn't be impressive. It would just be sad.
― Omar Khayyâm

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #55

Post by LittleNipper »

boatsnguitars wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:55 pm

The ego you have!

Yep, that makes sense. You are clinging to a 12 year old's belief. That doesn't seem strange to you?

I often make fun of people saying "you are arguing for a belief you chose when you were 12" - and I'm often right. The Church specifically targets the young and tries to get children right about 12 to commit their lives to the church. I was baptised at 12!

12 years old... smh... And you think that's something to be proud of? I became a Pats fan at 12. I also liked to play with GI Joe, and Micronauts and watch Bugs Bunny.
I believed that I might be able to fly if I flapped my arms fast enough. I believed I could slip a book under my pillow and learn the contents. I believed I would be an astronaut one day.

And, here, you are making the single most profound decision in your life based on what your pastor told you was the truth - and you proclaim it proudly! Like we ought to be in awe at your maturity and remarkable foresight! My goodness! What a remarkable achievement! You chose a religion - at 12! And you haven't wavered (or barely wavered?) over all those years!

Good thing you weren't born in Iran, eh? Or Japan, or China, or India... But, I imagine 12-year-old LitteNipper would have seen through all the farce of those religions! You were so sharp and insightful to choose wisely the first time around after - I am sure - a very extensive examination of all religious traditions and beliefs. Why would we think otherwise?! Why else would you be so proud to announce your firm choice of a religion at such an early age if you hadn't gone through all that research and investigation?

After all, choosing a religion at 12, after your pastor has had time to work on your emotions to work you up into a fervor wouldn't be impressive. It would just be sad.
The Bible tells me so and it was a youth group presentation that led to seek further acceptance of my need of the personal SAVIOR. The pastor wasn't there and he would have stated that only CHRIST saves. There are now Christians in China, Japan, and India. Maybe not many, but perhaps more than actually reside in say Europe in this present day and age for real... Not all who say, "LORD, LORD" are truly saved. Matthew 7:21-23
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #56

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:38 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:55 pm

The ego you have!

The Bible tells me so and it was a youth group presentation that led to seek further acceptance of my need of the personal SAVIOR. The pastor wasn't there and he would have stated that only CHRIST saves. There are now Christians in China, Japan, and India. Maybe not many, but perhaps more than actually reside in say Europe in this present day and age for real... Not all who say, "LORD, LORD" are truly saved. Matthew 7:21-23
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
Well, I'm just glad your weren't brainwashed. 12 years old is a very impressionable age.
― Omar Khayyâm

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #57

Post by LittleNipper »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:01 am
Well, I'm just glad your weren't brainwashed. 12 years old is a very impressionable age.
So's college age.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #58

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:59 am
So's college age.
So, you are agreeing that you were brainwashed?
― Omar Khayyâm

LittleNipper
Scholar

Post #59

Post by LittleNipper »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:37 am
So's college age.
You were just glad that I wasn't brainwashed, and now you are saying that I was brainwashed... Which is it? Anyone can be impressed but that isn't the same as brainwashed. Brainwashed is when an individual will one regard anyone else.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #60

Post by boatsnguitars »

LittleNipper wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:41 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:37 am
So's college age.
You were just glad that I wasn't brainwashed, and now you are saying that I was brainwashed... Which is it? Anyone can be impressed but that isn't the same as brainwashed. Brainwashed is when an individual will one regard anyone else.
Try to be clear. Are you saying that college age people are impressionable (able to be brainwashed) like 12 year olds? What was your point in mentioning college age people?

Let your yes be yes - that is, Jesus tells you to be clear in your answers. Be clear. Explain yourself. Stop the silly games.
― Omar Khayyâm