Suicide

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Suzy
Apprentice

Suicide

Post #1

Post by Suzy »

I have excellent health and a long way to go yet before I jump of this mortal coil. :|
But I am going to finish my own life when or if my life is no longer enjoyable, no longer worth living and when I know it will never get better. For instance chronic pain and knowing it will get worse with no hope of relief from drugs. This can happen at any time in life so I have already thought of it. [Yes, I know I’m weird]

I am an atheist so my logic tells me that death itself is O.K. [but not necessarily getting there] I was not here for millions of years before I was born and I was fine with that. It was a breeze!

A point I should mention here is the means used to ‘end it all’ I will keep that to myself for obvious reasons but it will be painless and 100% successful. [Not jumping under a train because I am a coward and also someone has to clear all the mess up]

So to the point and I would like your views on it. What about our love ones. Some say it’s selfish to take your own life because of what you do to them. I say it’s selfish of them if they don’t let you go if you are suffering.
Me being me I have already cleared it with my family [all atheists] so I am good to go. :)

Suzy
Apprentice

Post #71

Post by Suzy »

Wissing wrote: Why would you go to the length of consulting doctors on the best way to commit suicide?
I didn't! I just described my way of taking my own life to them in case I was wrong about it being painless and reliable.
I am involved in Motorsport and get to talk to track doctors sometimes.
I already know the best way to commit suicide. Its not rocket science!
Last edited by Suzy on Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suzy
Apprentice

Post #72

Post by Suzy »

The Me's wrote:
Suzy wrote: You have never met anyone like me then have you. And were does ‘rejection’ come into it? Its so obvious that you are talking about a group of people that can’t or wont make an informed or logical decision on this. You say ‘the people you work with’ so what’s that then, potential suicides? Do I sound like someone that is depressed and thinking of killing myself at the moment. My lovely hubby at work, my children playing outside. A lovely house, plenty of money [thank you hubby]. Suzy is bubbling with life.
If you can’t see the point I am making then I give up on you.

I might be wrong, but I don't think you know what you're talking about.
I don't think you know what you're talking about ether. Not when you are talking about me! :D

The Me's
Banned
Banned

Post #73

Post by The Me's »

[Replying to Suzy]

Well, we agree on that.

Suzy
Apprentice

Post #74

Post by Suzy »

The Me's wrote: [Replying to Suzy]

Well, we agree on that.
xoxo :D

UNBeliever905
Student

Post #75

Post by UNBeliever905 »

hey been stalking the forum a bit recently had to sign up when i saw some of this thread, particularly things like this
Wissing wrote: [Replying to post 52 by Suzy]

Here's a reason. Suicide is wrong, and your worldview is trying to come up with a way to justify it.

Well, that is a very black and white and, if i may say so, intellectually unsound argument. Why is it wrong? Is it wrong in every situation? What if someone was going to be tortured for information that protected more lives? What if someone is terminally ill to the point they can no longer handle the pain, no family to comfort them and no money for medication? I would like to hear one solid reason why these would be considered ignoble to you.

Is it wrong because "God" doesnt want you to do it? why doesnt he want the people in unbearble suffering to end that? And if he is a loving creator, not even close to being the god from the bible any more, that should have no negative bearing on ones final judgement as he put you in pain?

Hypotheticals are not useless, they allow you to take in information from an outside standpoint and try to find the merits or or demerits of choices to said situation. Very good mental training actually, its not the type of mental masturbation promoted by faith, the absolute negation of all evidence and reason, in every religion on earth.
Wissing wrote: Why would you go to the length of consulting doctors on the best way to commit suicide?
hmm because in the siuation of life no longer being worht living or being in too much pain to ever do so comfortably again then a)chances are doctors visits have become fairly frequent by that point and b) uhm so you can do it without botching it, hurting yourself further, or traumatizing some poor neighbour lady who came to check on the smell and found faceless you in your cheerios? all very good reasons to consult a doctor before ending your life if you ask me.

Wissing
Apprentice

Post #76

Post by Wissing »

Is it wrong in every situation?
There's an exception to every rule. But there's no point in going into all the improbable hypotheticals. Personally, I find this practice rather unhelpful in day-to-day decision-making. As a rule, suicide is wrong. It's not "necessarily" wrong. It's just plain old wrong.

Plus, Suzy is not someone who is in tremendous suffering, as she said earlier. Nor does she make frequent trips to the doctor. In fact, I asked her that precisely because it struck me as bizarre that a perfectly healthy, non-suicidal person would consult doctors about suicide.
What if someone is terminally ill to the point they can no longer handle the pain, no family to comfort them and no money for medication?
Do you have any experience with such a scenario? If so, I would be very interested in hearing about it, so that the discussion could be grounded in reality. I think we could then have a more fruitful talk.

As it happens, I think someone already posted a true-to-life example, earlier in this very thread.

Suzy
Apprentice

Post #77

Post by Suzy »

Wissing wrote:
There's an exception to every rule. But there's no point in going into all the improbable hypotheticals. Personally, I find this practice rather unhelpful in day-to-day decision-making. As a rule, suicide is wrong. It's not "necessarily" wrong. It's just plain old wrong.

Plus, Suzy is not someone who is in tremendous suffering, as she said earlier. Nor does she make frequent trips to the doctor. In fact, I asked her that precisely because it struck me as bizarre that a perfectly healthy, non-suicidal person would consult doctors about suicide.
What if someone is terminally ill to the point they can no longer handle the pain, no family to comfort them and no money for medication?
Do you have any experience with such a scenario? If so, I would be very interested in hearing about it, so that the discussion could be grounded in reality. I think we could then have a more fruitful talk.

As it happens, I think someone already posted a true-to-life example, earlier in this very thread.

I assume that in the back of a lot of peoples minds as they grow older is the very real chance that the end of their lives will be unpleasant or even horrible for reasons I have already pointed out.
So lets simplify the subject for clarity. You go through life enjoying it. And then when you get to the point when you don’t enjoy it anymore you get given a choice, carry on not enjoying life or stop?
Me, I will stop. It’s a no brainer to me?

UNBeliever905
Student

Post #78

Post by UNBeliever905 »

Wissing wrote:

a) her current state isnt even what shes talking about, are you intentionally missing the concept here? IF she were to become terminally ill, and IF she were to be in a state of constant pain she couldnt bare THEN she would take her own life. The ONLY way this discussion works on a personal level is hypothetically until your there. Jesus may have said think not for the morrow but that doesnt make it a good idea. Thinking in "if this happens" terms is the logical way to plan.

b) i do not have to know anyone personally go through this to care about, understand or discuss this topic. It is a situation all too common amongst families and individuals around the world. If you want cases where its been sought out as a dignified way look no further than Dr. Jack Kevorkian and the many many people who begged for his help to find a way out.

Wissing
Apprentice

Post #79

Post by Wissing »

i do not have to know anyone personally go through this to care about, understand or discuss this topic.
I disagree. Which means you have pointed out a flaw in my logic - I shouldn't be discussing this either, because I do not know intolerable pain. I admit it. I doubt anyone here is really qualified to decide this.
It is a situation all too common amongst families and individuals around the world.
How have you assessed the soundness of the research you've done that has led you to that conclusion? If you don't have personal experience, whose experience are you leaning on?

Neatras
Guru

Post #80

Post by Neatras »

[Replying to post 79 by Wissing]

Not to sound divisive, but what kind of background information would you demand for her to make a statement like, "the decision of voluntary suicide is prevalent among families around the world'? Is that what you're asking for, even?