He is just as suprised as we are when they happen
25%

Total votes: 4

QED
Prodigy

"Natural" disasters

Post #1

Post by QED »

The recent devastation caused by Hurricanes and Earthquakes has taken vast numbers of lives and caused widespread anguish. The legal boys like to refer to such events "acts of God". Do believers in God agree with them in laying the blame here?

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by micatala »

I voted for the second choice.

I think God 'allows' the universe to operate by what we would call natural means or laws, and this includes the occurrence of natural disasters.

Now, one might say God does 'cause' natural disasters by creating a universe, including its physical laws, in which natural disasters are practically inevitable. However, I personally find the suggestion made by some that God consciously and with 'malice aforethought' causes natural disasters and even goes after particular areas, people, etc. disgusting. I read another letter in the local paper this past week saying New Orleans had it coming because of their decadent lifestyle and tolerance of gays.

Piffle.

One wonders what the people of Pakistan did to enrage the Almighty (aren't they helping us in our battle against those evil Muslim terrorists?), or the people of FLorida when hurricane Andrew hit a few years ago (maybe He was mad they didn't elect Al Gore?? ;) ). What about all the good Christians who had their churches wiped out by Katrina?

Honestly, all this 'speaking on the behalf of God' is pretty arrogant.

It is a good question to ask why God would allow natural disasters (or suffering in general), but it is not a good answer to say it happens to people because they were more sinful than those who are not suffering. We know from history that this is false, even biblical history. We even have an example of Jesus repudiating this idea in the gospels.

It is worth noting that in Job, Satan is the one who caused 'the four winds to blow and knock down the corners of the house' in which Job's children were, killing them all.

In fact, it is interesting that I have heard some Christians say that it was 'Satan' that caused such a such a bad thing to happen to such and such good person, and then these same people say God did it when the person suffering is someone they don't like or disagree with. It really roils me.

SOrry for the tirade. I'm done venting now. O:)