The Bible Says So....

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Sntrose
Student

The Bible Says So....

Post #1

Post by Sntrose »

This is directed to my Christian friends here, coming from an atheist. I have been reading through some of the posts here, and I keep running across the same thing. It's got me very confused. Why is it that when asked a moral question, the answer is "because it is in the Bible." ? The line of logic seems to stop there.

Usually, it is accompanied by a quote from Scripture, and then something along the lines of, "it's clearly in the Bible. So that's why it's a sin. The Bible says so."

What it is about this book that I'm not getting? What kind of book is there that could possibly be so infallible that you would never question it's contents? Nothing can be wrong? Not even a translation error? As long as it's in the Bible, you can relax...it must be right! It's in the Bible. So we don't have to think any more?

I sincerely do not intend this to be insulting. I mean it as a question. Read this in a happy voice...not a sarcastic one. That is the tone I intend...and would prefer the answers to be in....

;)

heavensgate
Apprentice

Re: The Bible Says So....

Post #231

Post by heavensgate »

McCulloch wrote:
Well, a few of the founding Fathers were quite religious. Others were not. However, Adams and Jefferson prevailed on them to try something that had not been tried before. That is to separate the functioning of the government from the influence of religion. That is the meaning of secular. They espoused enlightenment principles which are directly contradictory to the recorded teachings of Jesus including no taxation without representation and the right to rebel against an unjust ruler.

Granted, but how does the following indicate a direct contradiction to Jesus' teaching? I see from the amendment that the whole onus is on the government to "not" make laws about religion or its free expression. Most Christians would agree with this. Religion established by Laws result in cultural Christianity (or other religious observance) which leaves no room for free expression and eventually loses the whole flavour and intent of Christ in the first place.

Article one - Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

McCulloch wrote:Then early in the twentieth century, women finally won their long struggle to participate in the electoral process. The writers of the Bible teach that women are more easily deceived than men and should be subject to them.
HeavensGate wrote:This is simply not true. Another thread perhaps.
1 Timothy 2:9-15 wrote:Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness. A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet. For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve. And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. But women will be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint.
Paul, in finding support for his practice of not allowing a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, went to the example of Adam and Eve, indicating that this principle he believed was universal to all of humanity

I think if you relate Pauls teaching to the particular church in question you will find he is speaking to a group of Christians that had particular cultural and behavioural issues. Pauls quote "over the man" is significant in that there was in Corinth a status of women in the community that was particularly connected to pagan worship. Along with Pauls teaching about women to have long hair, unbraided, without too much makeup etc contrasts the community they were actually trying to live Christians lives in. Not to emulate them. Adam as the federal head over Eve was part of the directions given to him by God, but hey...the President also has the power of veto and there does not seem to be too much problem with that.

McCulloch wrote:The twenty-first century will see the biblical prejudice against same sex relationships overthrown from our legal systems.
HeavensGate wrote:I am prejudiced against your prejudiced statement above. I know the use of words can underpin and support your particular case, but the bible does not prejudice anything, and where it makes statements about human behaviour, it usually gives a reason why. Have you investigated those ‘reasons’?

The writers of the Bible seldom give reasons for prohibited activity, other than, "God does not like this" or "It is unclean or unnatural." Except perhaps for the example of the subjugation of women, that is because women are more easily deceived. What reasons are given by the biblical writers for opposing gay rights?

HeavensGate wrote:I am prejudiced against your prejudiced statement above. I know the use of words can underpin and support your particular case, but the bible does not prejudice anything, and where it makes statements about human behaviour, it usually gives a reason why. Have you investigated those ‘reasons’? I do find that the appeal to being in the 21st century a little wearying. We are no more modern that Adam, and as time pass by, a little less intelligent. The 21st century may just go down as the most failed generations in history. Don’t forget our precursors were the 20th century where the level of violence outstripped all recorded history.

This is factually wrong. Even including the genocides and the world wars, the odds that a person would be put to death deliberately by another person, whether as a result of war, criminal activity or execution, was lower than it had ever been in all of human history. Pinker

Pinker is excellent at using the hard work of scholars and interpolating his ideas over the data. In fact Eisner and Elias (Two of Pinkers references) attribute the decline in European homicide to the transition from knightly warrior societies to the centralized governments of early modernity. They attribute much to the reformation as the pacifying effect on widespread violence from enlightenment / reformation eras. Its worthy of note that Pinker does not reference this finding. http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/pinker0 ... index.html

McCulloch wrote:None of these issues would have been resolved the way that they were, if people used the principles taught in the Bible as their moral guide.
HeavensGate wrote:McCulloch, what then is the moral compass we should use? Is there such a guide? Is there truth at all?

Of course there is moral truth. Do you think that moral truth is something that God wrote down for you? Or maybe it is something we discover together, like all other important truths.

:( :eyebrow:
And how did that truth come about. Subjectively no doubt. You have no empirical base for that idea.

Regards
Jim

heavensgate
Apprentice

Post #232

Post by heavensgate »

daughterofthefaith wrote: [Replying to post 223 by Goat]

To all those who are debating with me on this, I feel like this is going round and round in circles and not actually getting anywhere, and am most aware that you will point the finger at me and tell me i don't know what i am talking about. The most important thing is I know I am right, I have tried my best to explain the truth to you all but I can see tht you are rejecting it. I have said it before but there is coming a day when you will look back and blame yourself for all these opportunities that you have missed.

There is only one true God and it is of him that we read of in the Bible. I gave evidence for the Bible validity but it has been stubbornly rejected. To be honest when presented with a world that came from nothing, no hope beyond the grave, no saviour, no hope of heaven OR a world that was made by an awesome Creator, a Christ who died on Calvary and offers to us salvation and eternal life, I choose Christ. I choose the Bible and I will never turn my back on my Redeemer or leave off from the faith. I have decided to put my hand to the plough and by Gods grace I will never turn back. I will continue to share with others my Jesus and tell the lost of their need of Christ for without him we are all damned to a lake of everlasting fire, I don't know about you but I don't want to be there, my destination is heaven, what about you? All you have to do is simply put your faith in Christ and believe and ask him to come into your heart and he will!

John 3v16 KJV "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"
Hi Daughterofthefaith.
I am with you. There is actually plenty of evidence of the historical truth of the bible. There is a good site here http://www.biblearchaeology.org/
that has plenty of articles and papers that relate to almost all ages of the bible record.
Of course the further we go back in time the less evidence there is, but this is true for all records in the historical sense. It amuses me that extra biblical records such as the Epic of Gilgamesh has so much reverence with sceptics but the bible as a record that can trace its roots to the earliest forms of writing is ignored. It makes me think that the evidence is not evidence unless it conforms to a particular ideology. Where do you think Liberal Theology comes from?
Check out the site. You will find it useful.
Regards
Jim

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #233

Post by Danmark »

heavensgate wrote:
Hi Daughterofthefaith.
I am with you. There is actually plenty of evidence of the historical truth of the bible. There is a good site here http://www.biblearchaeology.org/
that has plenty of articles and papers that relate to almost all ages of the bible record.
Of course the further we go back in time the less evidence there is, but this is true for all records in the historical sense. It amuses me that extra biblical records such as the Epic of Gilgamesh has so much reverence with sceptics but the bible as a record that can trace its roots to the earliest forms of writing is ignored. It makes me think that the evidence is not evidence unless it conforms to a particular ideology. Where do you think Liberal Theology comes from?
Regards
Jim
Jim, you are quite right to redirect a 'debater' to other sites. Some people participate here who apparently don't appreciate what debate is. They simply want to preach, claim they are right and others are wrong and give no reasons for their positions other than, "I know I am right." That is an example of a non debate.

Your amusement in reference to 'reverence' for the Epic of Gilgamesh is misplaced. I'm not aware of anyone here who suggests that narrative should be revered. The point of the existence of that narrative is to point out conclusively that the book of Genesis was not inspired by God, but written by men heavily influenced by an earlier myth.

It restricts the search for truth when one limits one's thinking by categorizing approaches as 'liberal' or 'conservative' and then using those labels to be dismissive rather than inquisitive. It is a perfect methodology to employ to avoid learning.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #234

Post by Goat »

heavensgate wrote:

To all those who are debating with me on this, I feel like this is going round and round in circles and not actually getting anywhere, and am most aware that you will point the finger at me and tell me i don't know what i am talking about. The most important thing is I know I am right, I have tried my best to explain the truth to you all but I can see tht you are rejecting it. I have said it before but there is coming a day when you will look back and blame yourself for all these opportunities that you have missed.

There is only one true God and it is of him that we read of in the Bible. I gave evidence for the Bible validity but it has been stubbornly rejected. To be honest when presented with a world that came from nothing, no hope beyond the grave, no saviour, no hope of heaven OR a world that was made by an awesome Creator, a Christ who died on Calvary and offers to us salvation and eternal life, I choose Christ. I choose the Bible and I will never turn my back on my Redeemer or leave off from the faith. I have decided to put my hand to the plough and by Gods grace I will never turn back. I will continue to share with others my Jesus and tell the lost of their need of Christ for without him we are all damned to a lake of everlasting fire, I don't know about you but I don't want to be there, my destination is heaven, what about you? All you have to do is simply put your faith in Christ and believe and ask him to come into your heart and he will!

John 3v16 KJV "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"
Hi Daughterofthefaith.
Regards
Jim
I challenge you to produce any archeological evidence of any supernatural claim of the bible. I also have an issue with that bible and archeology site. It has a problem in that it takes any archeological find, and then , without any rational reason, proclaim is shows such and such about the bible, or proves the bible. It also has very bad information out there.. for example, it still promotes the ossurary of James as being authentic, when it has been proven beyond any doubt as being a modern forgery. Another example is the artifacts it claims is evidence of the Exodus. It has names on some of them, and then proclaims, without any evidence, those names are associated with people from the Exodus, and therefore is evidence of the Exodus. That is just plain deception there.

Oh, the fact that they are selling 'biblical artifact' without any providence makes them.. suspect. too That is highly unethical at the very least.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

heavensgate
Apprentice

Post #235

Post by heavensgate »

Hi Goat,
Goat wrote:
heavensgate wrote:

Hi Daughterofthefaith.
Regards
Jim
I challenge you to produce any archaeological evidence of any supernatural claim of the bible.
Goat, I am not sure what you are asking here. “produce archaeological evidence of a supernatural claim� ? Supernatural in that it is by definition ‘super natural’ is not likely to be tested by natural means. So I need you to perhaps suggest one that we can work on

I also have an issue with that bible and archeology site. It has a problem in that it takes any archeological find, and then , without any rational reason, proclaim is shows such and such about the bible, or proves the bible.

Well, any find in archaeology will have a period where their can be claims and robust debate. Isn't that how sciences are meant to work. Besides this, is it not dishonest for others to just dismiss the claims out of hand? There are some reasonable assumptions can be made with location, names, artefacts, conditions of the dig or site etc, etc, etc. Unless some scholars have some concrete evidence against the claims, any counter claim comes from ideological bias.

It also has very bad information out there.. for example, it still promotes the ossurary of James as being authentic, when it has been proven beyond any doubt as being a modern forgery.

I think you will find in previous articles the site mentioned exercised a professional degree of caution before it was reasonable to accept the Ossuary as being genuine.
Did you read all the information on this subject? There is quite a lot.
Another example is the artifacts it claims is evidence of the Exodus. It has names on some of them, and then proclaims, without any evidence, those names are associated with people from the Exodus, and therefore is evidence of the Exodus. That is just plain deception there.

How is this deception? Artefacts, names, locations, timeframes. What is the problem of placing the accumulated information when it fits neatly into a given paradigm? Again, science does this all the time.
Oh, the fact that they are selling 'biblical artifact' without any providence makes them.. suspect. too That is highly unethical at the very least.
I think you may have misread the context when it comes to the provenance of the article. The ABR website or organisation don't own the article. The fact that some genuine artefacts do turn up on the black market is a known fact. In fact, I wonder where all the artefacts from the raided pyramids ended up?

Regards

Jim

heavensgate
Apprentice

Post #236

Post by heavensgate »

Danmark wrote:
heavensgate wrote:
Hi Daughterofthefaith.
Regards
Jim
Jim, you are quite right to redirect a 'debater' to other sites. Some people participate here who apparently don't appreciate what debate is.
They simply want to preach, claim they are right and others are wrong and give no reasons for their positions other than, "I know I am right." That is an example of a non debate.
I think someone who wants to make a contribution but may lack in knowledge of a given subject will eventually come good. DOTF is one such and has a lot of guts from my point of view. Give her time.

Your amusement in reference to 'reverence' for the Epic of Gilgamesh is misplaced. I'm not aware of anyone here who suggests that narrative should be revered. The point of the existence of that narrative is to point out conclusively that the book of Genesis was not inspired by God, but written by men heavily influenced by an earlier myth.
There is much to say on this and probs I won't cover it all without being tedious. Some good scholar has already done the groundwork in the similarities and non similar comparisons between the Epics and the bible narratives. On a plain reading of both texts even Dawkins can see the literary superiority of the bible, even in it's oldest books. It is not a long bow to draw to assume from the comparisons and the literary superiority, that the epics most likely fall out of the original story as corruptions (many things to say about this as well, but will save for another day)

The fact that all aboriginal and ancient cultures have the same creation myths albeit differing in some detail, speaks of a global memory that this was an actual event that took place.
Why is the Bible superior? Simply the content. Please see below from David T. Tsumura PhD
Similarities and Differences. Thus the Flood tradition has a long history in ancient Mesopotamia, and it is not simply enough to compare the Flood story in “Gilgamesh� XI and the Genesis story on literary grounds. It is essential to place each of the Mesopotamian stories in the history of Flood traditions before its historical interdependence and priority are discussed in relationship with the Genesis account. Recent comparison is therefore made in terms of the Flood traditions behind the literature, assuming that “the essential narrative is identical� in both Mesopotamian and Hebrew traditions. Cassuto in his commentary lists 19 parallels and 16 differences (1964: 16–23). Kitchen, who unlike Cassuto had access to Lambert and Millard’s 1969 Atra-Hasis, lists seven similarities and nine differences.

Similarities:
1. A divine decision is made to send a punishing Flood;
2. One chosen man is told to save self, family and creatures by building a boat;
3. A great Flood destroys the rest of the people;
4. The boat grounds on a mountain;
5. Birds are sent forth to determine availability of habitable land;
6. The hero sacrifices to deity;
7. Mankind is renewed upon earth (1977: 28–29).

Differences:
1. The Mesopotamian gods tire of the noisiness of mankind, while in Genesis, God sees the corruption and universal wickedness of mankind.
2. The Mesopotamian assembly of gods is at pains to conceal their Flood plan entirely from mankind (this is not evident in Genesis at all).
3. In the Mesopotamian epics, the saving of the hero is entirely by the deceit of one god, while in Genesis, God from the first tells Noah plainly that judgment is coming, and he alone has been judged faithful and so must build a boat.
4. The size and type of craft in “Gilgamesh� is a vast cube, perhaps even a great floating ziggurat, while that in Genesis has far more the proportions of a real craft.
5. The duration of the Flood differs in the Mesopotamian and Biblical accounts. “Atra-H asþs� has seven days and seven nights of storm and tempest, as does the Sumerian version; “Gilgamesh� has six (or seven) days and nights, with subsidence of the waters beginning on the seventh day; none of the Mesopotamian narratives gives any idea of how long the Floodwaters took to subside thereafter. In contrast, Genesis has an entirely consistent, more detailed time-scale. After seven days’ warning, the storm and floods rage for 40 days, then the waters stay for 150 days before beginning to sink, and further intervals follow until the earth is dry a year and ten days from the time the cataclysm began (Gn 7:11; 8:14).
6. In the Mesopotamian versions, the inhabitants of the boat include also a pilot and craftsmen, etc.; in Genesis one finds only Noah and his immediate family.
7. The details of sending out birds differ entirely in “Gilgamesh,� Berossus, and Genesis 8:7ff.; this is lost in “Atra-Hasis “ (if ever it was present).
8. The Mesopotamian hero leaves the boat of his own accord and then offers a sacrifice to win the acceptance of the gods. By contrast, Noah stays in the boat until God summons him forth and then presents what is virtually a sacrifice of thanksgiving, following which divine blessing is expressed without regret.
9. Replenishment of the land or earth is partly through renewed divine activity in “Atra-Hasis� but simply and naturally through the survivors themselves in Genesis (1977: 29–30).

The Problem of Dependence. As Lambert and Millard note,
It is obvious that the differences are too great to encourage belief in direct connection between “Atra-Hasis� and Genesis, but just as obviously there is some kind of involvement in the historical traditions generally of the two peoples.
After suggesting “one possible explanation� of such involvement, namely the westward movement of these traditions during the Amarna period (ca. 1400 BC), Lambert and Millard simply conclude that “the question is very complex� (1969: 24).

To this problem of dependence, Wenham explains that there are basically three approaches: (1) minimalists, (2) maximalists, (3) somewhere between:
1. The minimalists argue that the differences between the Mesopotamian and the Biblical accounts are too great to suppose dependence of the latter on the former. Both must be independent developments of an earlier common tradition.
2. Maximalists argue that the Genesis editor was in fact familiar with Mesopotamian traditions in something like their present form.... The writer seems to be aware of other ancient Near Eastern ideas and to be deliberately opposing or commenting on them.
3. The truth lies somewhere between the minimalist and maximalist positions (1987: 163).
Kitchen holds that:
it is fair to say that the Mesopotamians had a flood-tradition in common, which existed and was transmitted in several versions.
Therefore it is out of place to talk of "borrowing the Hebrew from the Babylonian (or Sumerian) or vice-versa."

Kitchen explains that
parallel traditions about some ancient event in common Mesopotamian memory would be a simpler and more satisfying answer.
He then notes that Genesis 6:9–8:22, whose 60 verses “might be roughly equal to 120 lines of Sumerian or Akkadian text,� was
probably the simplest and shortest of all the ancient versions, possibly originating as early as they, and was certainly not a secondary elaboration of them (1977: 30).
Similarities among these traditions seemingly show that at least for the ancient Mesopotamians, the Flood was a once-and-for-all cosmic event that happened a long time ago. Kitchen explains it thus:
The Sumerians and Babylonians of ca. 2000/1800 BC believed so firmly in the former historical occurrence of such a Flood that they inserted it into the Sumerian King List (1977: 30).
Literary Unity. Wenham lists 17 points in common between the Genesis account and the Mesopotamian traditions, the “Atra-Hasis Epic,� the Ras Shamra version, the epic of “Gilgamesh� tablet XI, and the Sumerian “Eridu Genesis� version. According to him,
These lists underline the very close parallels between the Mesopotamian and Biblical accounts of the flood.
He notes that
this is particularly striking in the case of the combined (J + P) version of the Flood in Genesis.... It is strange that two accounts of the Flood so different as J and P, circulating in ancient Israel, should have been combined to give our present story which has many more resemblances to the “Gilgamesh� version than the postulated sources.
Therefore, Wenham suggests two alternatives as assumptions, preferring the second to the first:
(1) The J and P versions of the Flood story were in their original form much closer to each other than the relics of these sources now suggest. (2) Only one source was used by the writer of Genesis, a source presumably similar to the Mesopotamian Flood story (1994: 443; 1987: 163–64).

Thus, the J and P distinction is illusory, at least in the Flood story. The recent emphasis on the literary unity of the story by Andersen (“chiasmus�) (1974:123–26),Wenham (“palistrophe�) (1994: 431–32), Anderson (1994), and Longacre (1976) is noteworthy, despite Emerton’s dissent (1987; 1988).6

It restricts the search for truth when one limits one's thinking by categorizing approaches as 'liberal' or 'conservative' and then using those labels to be dismissive rather than inquisitive. It is a perfect methodology to employ to avoid learning.
I did not intend to insult anyone, but I have not yet read of a Liberal Theologian that actually believes the bible. Sorry, but a burgeoning fact.
The same goes in this case to Liberal archaeology sites.
I wish it were not so, but there is a distinct difference. The first question posted in the bible "did God really say....?". This is Liberal theology and there is no softening on this position for me. The two are antithetical.

Regards
Jim

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #237

Post by Goat »

heavensgate wrote: Hi Goat,
Goat wrote:
heavensgate wrote:

Hi Daughterofthefaith.
Regards
Jim
I challenge you to produce any archaeological evidence of any supernatural claim of the bible.
Goat, I am not sure what you are asking here. “produce archaeological evidence of a supernatural claim� ? Supernatural in that it is by definition ‘super natural’ is not likely to be tested by natural means. So I need you to perhaps suggest one that we can work on

I also have an issue with that bible and archeology site. It has a problem in that it takes any archeological find, and then , without any rational reason, proclaim is shows such and such about the bible, or proves the bible.

Well, any find in archaeology will have a period where their can be claims and robust debate. Isn't that how sciences are meant to work. Besides this, is it not dishonest for others to just dismiss the claims out of hand? There are some reasonable assumptions can be made with location, names, artefacts, conditions of the dig or site etc, etc, etc. Unless some scholars have some concrete evidence against the claims, any counter claim comes from ideological bias.

It also has very bad information out there.. for example, it still promotes the ossurary of James as being authentic, when it has been proven beyond any doubt as being a modern forgery.

I think you will find in previous articles the site mentioned exercised a professional degree of caution before it was reasonable to accept the Ossuary as being genuine.
Did you read all the information on this subject? There is quite a lot.
Another example is the artifacts it claims is evidence of the Exodus. It has names on some of them, and then proclaims, without any evidence, those names are associated with people from the Exodus, and therefore is evidence of the Exodus. That is just plain deception there.

How is this deception? Artefacts, names, locations, timeframes. What is the problem of placing the accumulated information when it fits neatly into a given paradigm? Again, science does this all the time.
I think you may have misread the context when it comes to the provenance of the article. The ABR website or organisation don't own the article. The fact that some genuine artefacts do turn up on the black market is a known fact. In fact, I wonder where all the artefacts from the raided pyramids ended up?

Regards

Jim
You mean that you don't think the ABR website is not responsible for what they promote as facts, or whose products they promote on their web site? It's on their web site, they are making money by having it on their web site, they are responsible for it's content. They are also responsible for the misinformation about the Ossary of James, and the alleged exodus artifacts.. and those are only two examples. There is enough good information on that site to use it as a 'jump off' spot , but there is enough bad information, with a very biased viewpoint that it is hardly a good place to accept what they say with out a lot of critical examination. If anything, I would use a site like that to find the original article, and refer to that, rather than use them as the source of the information. They also have a tendency to start with their interpretation, and try to shove evidence into their interpretation.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

heavensgate
Apprentice

Post #238

Post by heavensgate »

You mean that you don't think the ABR website is not responsible for what they promote as facts, or whose products they promote on their web site? It's on their web site, they are making money by having it on their web site, they are responsible for it's content. They are also responsible for the misinformation about the Ossary of James, and the alleged exodus artifacts.. and those are only two examples. There is enough good information on that site to use it as a 'jump off' spot , but there is enough bad information, with a very biased viewpoint that it is hardly a good place to accept what they say with out a lot of critical examination. If anything, I would use a site like that to find the original article, and refer to that, rather than use them as the source of the information. They also have a tendency to start with their interpretation, and try to shove evidence into their interpretation.
[/quote][/quote]

Hi Goat
If make some specific charge (quote article or advertisement) I will be able to respond.

Mr. LongView

hi

Post #239

Post by Mr. LongView »

Just for kicks..

Test the prophets.
A good tree can not bare bad fruit.
Build your house on firm ground.
Wisdom calls aloud at the gates.

Basic guidelines to truth.

Osonlife
Student

Post #240

Post by Osonlife »

Sntrose wrote: This is directed to my Christian friends here, coming from an atheist. I have been reading through some of the posts here, and I keep running across the same thing. It's got me very confused. Why is it that when asked a moral question, the answer is "because it is in the Bible." ? The line of logic seems to stop there.

Usually, it is accompanied by a quote from Scripture, and then something along the lines of, "it's clearly in the Bible. So that's why it's a sin. The Bible says so."

What it is about this book that I'm not getting? What kind of book is there that could possibly be so infallible that you would never question it's contents? Nothing can be wrong? Not even a translation error? As long as it's in the Bible, you can relax...it must be right! It's in the Bible. So we don't have to think any more?

I sincerely do not intend this to be insulting. I mean it as a question. Read this in a happy voice...not a sarcastic one. That is the tone I intend...and would prefer the answers to be in....

;)

Having been recently banned from to so called Christian Chat forum for challenging this I can give the answer, and it is infallible.

God wrote the bible.
The various authors were possessed by the holy spirit and wrote the words of god.

Personally I doubt if god is capable of so much contradiction, but there you go.