The Bible Says So....

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Sntrose
Student

The Bible Says So....

Post #1

Post by Sntrose »

This is directed to my Christian friends here, coming from an atheist. I have been reading through some of the posts here, and I keep running across the same thing. It's got me very confused. Why is it that when asked a moral question, the answer is "because it is in the Bible." ? The line of logic seems to stop there.

Usually, it is accompanied by a quote from Scripture, and then something along the lines of, "it's clearly in the Bible. So that's why it's a sin. The Bible says so."

What it is about this book that I'm not getting? What kind of book is there that could possibly be so infallible that you would never question it's contents? Nothing can be wrong? Not even a translation error? As long as it's in the Bible, you can relax...it must be right! It's in the Bible. So we don't have to think any more?

I sincerely do not intend this to be insulting. I mean it as a question. Read this in a happy voice...not a sarcastic one. That is the tone I intend...and would prefer the answers to be in....

;)

ChildofJesus

Re: The Bible Says So....

Post #251

Post by ChildofJesus »

[Replying to post 1 by Sntrose]

Sntrose I hope you are well.

The Holy Spirit speaks to those whom read God's Holy Word, flowing His Loving Holy Wisdom, Guidance and Discernment to hearts of whom "Trust in Jesus/God/The Holy Spirit".

Silently from hearts to Jesus God and The Holy Spirit, questions can be asked 'heart to heart' at any time and in my own experience and relationship with Jesus, God,The Holy Spirit and The Blessed Virgin Mary, every question is answered by The Holy Spirit while reading His Holy Word...because God delivered the content of His Holy Word to Esdra/Ezra and His Chosen Priests in His Day appearing to Esdra/Ezra. These priests went away, fasted and wrote for a long time, then returned at intervals with more of God's Holy Word.

If you read God's Holy Word to Esdra/Ezra you will understand some of God's Holy ways that He taught Esdra/Ezra in receiving Him/God/The Holy Spirit and how one is able to receive God through His Holy Word, all it takes is "Trust in Jesus/God/The Holy Spirit".

I make the Sign of The Cross first while focussing on Jesus Himself His Holy Image and His Holy Cross where Jesus is manifested.

May God Bless You on your soul journey

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #252

Post by Danmark »

ChildofJesus wrote:
The Holy Spirit speaks to those whom read God's Holy Word, flowing His Loving Holy Wisdom, Guidance and Discernment to hearts of whom "Trust in Jesus/God/The Holy Spirit".

Silently from hearts to Jesus God and The Holy Spirit, questions can be asked 'heart to heart' ....with more of God's Holy Word.

If you read God's Holy Word to Esdra/Ezra you will understand ...
I make the Sign of The Cross first while focussing on Jesus Himself His Holy Image and His Holy Cross where Jesus is manifested.

May God Bless You on your soul journey
Moderator Comment
You may not consider this preaching, but that is what it is. Please review the rules and contact moderators privately if you still have questions about what constitutes 'preaching.'
Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

wannabe
Apprentice

Post #253

Post by wannabe »

[Replying to post 3 by Sntrose]

Consider this ... the bible is one of the most scrutinized books in existence. Now consider your self as an author of a passage in the bible. Wouldn't one expect that as an author of such a revered book that guidance and council would come from much moral support and also guidance from the the one wishing to have his voice heard . If you believe.

wannabe
Apprentice

Post #254

Post by wannabe »

[Replying to post 10 by Sntrose]

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you

BUT !!! ONLY IF IT IS UNANIMOUS

Then as you do ... you create morally pure values within yourself

This is how you understand moral

fstopper
Apprentice

Post #255

Post by fstopper »

[Replying to Danmark]

"This generation" is obviously referring to a future generation, not the one He was talking to at the time.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #256

Post by JehovahsWitness »

fstopper wrote: [Replying to Danmark]

"This generation" is obviously referring to a future generation, not the one He was talking to at the time.

I would agree because prior to making this statement, Jesus listed a number of specific events, many of which did not apply to to the first century generation, notably to his parousia (presence).
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #257

Post by Danmark »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
fstopper wrote: [Replying to Danmark]

I would agree because prior to making this statement, Jesus listed a number of specific events, many of which did not apply to to the first century generation, notably to his parousia (presence).
:D By what distorted magic is "This" translated as "not 'this," but a future generation?
You might as well claim 'black' means 'white.' Such an absurd and backward interpretation can only be declared by those who have their minds made up ahead of time and are willing to ignore the meaning of the language. "This generation" is consistent with "there are those standing here who will not taste death before...."

If Jesus had meant some generation more than 2000 years in the future he would have said so. Or put another way, how could he have been more clear that he meant "this generation" of today? This is why it is abundantly clear Paul and the other 1st Century Christians expected Christ's return in their own lifetimes.

It was only after he failed to return that the excuse making started and "this" got contorted into "sometime in the future." This is why some anonymous author writing decades later penned Thessalonians 2, to try and soften the imminence pointed to by Paul in Thessalonians 1. This is my favorite example of how fundamentalists turn Bible verses on their heads, when they don't like the meaning, but cling to a literal interpretation when it suits their views. Claiming such absurdities of language only diminishes the credibility of the claimant.

wannabe
Apprentice

Post #258

Post by wannabe »

[Replying to post 257 by Danmark]

The generation Jesus speaks of (M 24:34) is the generation of the Christian faith.
He is in closed quarters addressing the disciples about a future outcome , of what they (he and his disciples ), helped create (generated).

( creating a church ) They were the generating force of Christianity.
Jesus knew this , he is the spearhead , (the point of Christianity).

To understand the generation Jesus speaks of , is to consider the lives of all who have found faith.

This tends to plug the hole in the generation gap. ( that is the difference between the then and now )
:
:

Live to give , Give to live ( love Jesus )

: I believe a mans spirit is more than just his imagination.

I believe in forever. That's true even without religion.(or man)

: Live to give, give to life, Forgive to live.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #259

Post by Danmark »

wannabe wrote: [Replying to post 257 by Danmark]

The generation Jesus speaks of (M 24:34) is the generation of the Christian faith.
He is in closed quarters addressing the disciples about a future outcome , of what they (he and his disciples ), helped create (generated).

( creating a church ) They were the generating force of Christianity.
Jesus knew this , he is the spearhead , (the point of Christianity).

To understand the generation Jesus speaks of , is to consider the lives of all who have found faith.

This tends to plug the hole in the generation gap. ( that is the difference between the then and now )
Wholly unpersuasive. "This generation" does not become "that generation" or a future generation just because you say so. There is nothing in the Olivet discourse to suggest otherwise. To be even more clear about the imminence of this event, we have Matthew 16:27-28:
"For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done. Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.�

wannabe
Apprentice

Post #260

Post by wannabe »

[Replying to post 259 by Danmark]

To see the son of man coming in his kingdom can be seen as a truth, a true prediction or prophecy, or understanding by those close to Jesus. For he kept few secrets from his disciples. But Judas didn't see this. And Jesus's return was imminent from the time of his crucifixion. And Jesus did show himself to some who were standing there. And 2000 years later isn't a pause, then the return of Jesus, but a 2000 year continuation of the promise of Jesus.
2000 years may represent a deadline for the winding up of things, (maybe) . But Jesus spoke to his disciples spiritually in the passage referred to, Mat: 16: 27 - 28 .( As time is of no essence. )
John: 8: 51 " If anyone keeps my word he will never see death." Also reference , John: 5: 24 - 30
:
:

Live to give , Give to live ( love Jesus )

: I believe a mans spirit is more than just his imagination.

I believe in forever. That's true even without religion.(or man)

: Live to give, give to life, Forgive to live.