Clarification on Inspired/God-Breathed

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Inigo Montoya
Guru

Clarification on Inspired/God-Breathed

Post #1

Post by Inigo Montoya »

This is likely for the believers on the forum.

This is a question I've long wanted to ask.

What does it mean, as specifically detailed as you can manage, for the texts in the Bible to be inspired by God or to be ''God-breathed?''

Does this mean automatic writing? A trance whereby the writer becomes a vessel for God's words?

Does this mean the writer hears a voice in his head, and copies the words verbatim? Does God have to talk slow so the writer can keep pace or is the entire body of work placed in the writer's mind until it's transcribed?

Does this mean a writer writes a story and a later authority decrees it must be the word of God based on prose and content?

What does this mean, as literally as you please, please.

tokutter
Site Supporter

Re: Clarification on Inspired/God-Breathed

Post #2

Post by tokutter »

[Replying to post 1 by Inigo Montoya]

WOW......5 days and not one swing at it.

Who would have thunk it.

Indigo, this is one of the biggest paint yourself in a corner questions you can ask a christian.

This is usually how I begin a conversation with one of my christian fundie relatives( always started by them)..ask them to define that book and exactly how those words got on those pages and if everyone of them is exactly how god wants it to be (or something to that effect).

That's usually the point where we start talking about the weather.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Clarification on Inspired/God-Breathed

Post #3

Post by ttruscott »

Inigo Montoya wrote: This is likely for the believers on the forum.

This is a question I've long wanted to ask.

What does it mean, as specifically detailed as you can manage, for the texts in the Bible to be inspired by God or to be ''God-breathed?''

Does this mean automatic writing? A trance whereby the writer becomes a vessel for God's words?

Does this mean the writer hears a voice in his head, and copies the words verbatim? Does God have to talk slow so the writer can keep pace or is the entire body of work placed in the writer's mind until it's transcribed?

Does this mean a writer writes a story and a later authority decrees it must be the word of God based on prose and content?

What does this mean, as literally as you please, please.
To me it means that GOD gets the message written or spoken that HE wants written or spoken. The human experience of speaking or writing words for GOD is a deep abiding feeling of acceptance by GOD of what was communicated, from the Spirit that the person has come to identify as the Holy Spirit. Sometimes other people feel and recognize the work of the Spirit in the communication, though not always.

Peace, Ted
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

tam
Savant

Post #4

Post by tam »

Inspired = in spirit

If scripture is inspired it is because the person given it received that information while in the spirit. Sometimes the person is given visions, and must write what he/she saw. Sometimes the person is told to write 'these words' down. Sometimes the person is carried along as the spirit takes them... so that the Spirit is speaking through them. (Christ spoke through David in the Psalms)

For example, from John when he received what he wrote down in the book of Revelation:

"On the Lord's day I was in the Spirit and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet, which said: "Write on a scroll what you see and send it..."

John wrote as he heard and saw... except for one part where he was told NOT to write something that he heard, but to seal it up. John was TOLD to write it down. If you read the intro to the prophets, they usually begin with 'the Word of the LORD came to 'Joel', etc.

It doesn't have to be word for word, like a dictation, but it can be that. What inspired means is that it was given in spirit.

In comparison, the book of Luke is not inspired. Luke states up front that he interviewed and investigated - and wrote down the testimony and results of his investigation. The gospel of Luke was not given to him while he was the spirit. That gospel is a testimony to Christ, yes, but not inspired.

If one forgets something that they saw or heard when writing it later, then one can always ask... 'what was this, Lord?'... or 'how do I word this, Lord?'

Hope that helps.

Peace to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

puddleglum
Sage

Post #5

Post by puddleglum »

tam wrote: In comparison, the book of Luke is not inspired. Luke states up front that he interviewed and investigated - and wrote down the testimony and results of his investigation. The gospel of Luke was not given to him while he was the spirit. That gospel is a testimony to Christ, yes, but not inspired.
This doesn't prove Luke's gospel wasn't inspired. It shows that God doesn't always use the same method of communicating the truth. God guided him by allowing him to find the information he needed and in deciding what to include in his gospel. It is likely that some of the other writers of the Bible weren't aware of the fact that God was guiding their writing.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

bluethread
Savant

Post #6

Post by bluethread »

Ruach means both spirit and breath. So, what the passage is doing is playing on a common idiom. The specific mechanics are not important. What is important is that the message meets the standard of verification indicated in HaTorah.