Most effective means of evangelism?

To solve world problems

Moderator: Moderators

QuietMan1980
Student

Most effective means of evangelism?

Post #1

Post by QuietMan1980 »

This question is addressed toward Christians. What would you suggest is the best means of evangelism and spreading the gospel message?

I am looking for suggestions for what people view is the most effective means for sharing our faith in the current cultural climate.

Should we:
-Use social media?
-Distribute tracts?
-Engage people at work?
-Volunteer?
-Engage others in debate?

Believe it or not, I have heard some people object to some of the means that I have listed above, so I am looking for your opinions.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

This would be effective:
Mark 16 wrote: [font=Georgia]And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned. These signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues; they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.�

So then, when the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God. And they went out and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them, and confirmed the word by the signs that followed.
[/font]
This might get people's attention too:
Acts 4:32-35 wrote: [font=Georgia]And the congregation of those who believed were of one heart and soul; and not one of them claimed that anything belonging to him was his own, but all things were common property to them. And with great power the apostles were giving testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and abundant grace was upon them all. For there was not a needy person among them, for all who were owners of land or houses would sell them and bring the proceeds of the sales and lay them at the apostles’ feet, and they would be distributed to each as any had need. [/font]
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

QuietMan1980
Student

Post #3

Post by QuietMan1980 »

McCulloch wrote:This would be effective:
Mark 16 wrote: [font=Georgia]And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned. These signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues; they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.�

So then, when the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God. And they went out and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them, and confirmed the word by the signs that followed.
[/font]
This might get people's attention too:
Acts 4:32-35 wrote: [font=Georgia]And the congregation of those who believed were of one heart and soul; and not one of them claimed that anything belonging to him was his own, but all things were common property to them. And with great power the apostles were giving testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and abundant grace was upon them all. For there was not a needy person among them, for all who were owners of land or houses would sell them and bring the proceeds of the sales and lay them at the apostles’ feet, and they would be distributed to each as any had need. [/font]
I appreciate that you have taken the time to look into those Bible verses, especially, and I mean this without any sarcasm or irony, since you do not appear to be a Christian at the present time.

While I was looking for something more along the lines of personal experience, the verses you cited are still good material for some discussion. In particular, the reference to Acts gives me chance to highlight an issue that I think is deserving of attention, which is the de-emphasis of material aid in spreading Christianity.

Acts 4:32-35 describes how the early church was very careful to look out for the material needs of those in their community. Some even went to the extent of selling much of their possessions to be able to help those who were in need. Also, much of the ministry of Jesus Himself was devoted to healing and feeding others. I mention these things because there seems to have been a trend in 20th and 21st century evangelical Christianity in the U.S. that puts all of the focus of evangelism on getting people to pray a prayer, while at the same time diminishing the importance of helping people in tangible ways. While I certainly believe that the destiny of people's souls is the most important thing for a Christian to focus upon, it shouldn't be treated as the only thing. I have found that in many churches that all of the focus is on getting people to accept the gospel message, while there is very little emphasis on helping to shelter, feed, and heal those in poverty and in sickness. In other words, some churches focus so much on spreading the "gospel message" that they fail to do what Jesus told them to do when it comes to providing people with tangible help.

I don't want to sound like I believe that the gospel message is unimportant since I still believe that it is the most important message a Christian can spread. On the other hand, I think that too often evangelical churches focus on getting people "saved" that they exclude and ignore a critical part of the Christian life. In fact, there a parable in Matthew 25:31-46 which seems to indicate that addressing the material needs of others will play a significant role in how God will ultimately judge a person.

Finally, I apologize, McCulloch, if you are the only person to read this post in this thread since what I have written amounts to more of a rant than I had intended.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

Thank you QuietMan1980 for your kind words. Yes, you correctly see that I am no longer a Christian. There is no need to apologize, what may have seemed to you to be a rant, does not appear to this reader as one. But then again, as my wife points out, I'm not always the best at seeing others' intents.

I suppose that the one thing I can say is that the Christian message would have more effect if Christians behaved as if they actually believed what Jesus said about things: poverty, wealth, humility, single mindedness, self-sacrifice, dedication, real demonstration of love and community. Quite frankly, in general, the Christians are not significantly different from the rest of us.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Cathar1950 »

I feel like as a child and young person I have the experiences of number of traditions, some were similar with differences in tradition, creeds, doctrines and interpretations as well as practices. I recall at around the age of 11 or so working for my church at a fair with tracts, Bibles and even a tent to witness and repent so they were saved, even here I could see the individualism and the pointless witnessing as if it were snake oil.
At the time I lived in Warren, Ohio with my uncle Don and aunt Ruby both practicing Presbyterians and where and when I was introduced to C.S. Lewis, The Robe and The Silver Chalice. Warren had a large Jewish community and many of my fellow students at Warren G. Harding were Jewish as were most of my friends, the others seem to have been Greek and rather ethnic.
For some reason I seem to relate and fit in.

But years later in as an undergrad we read and discussed a number of approaches, and books, and I even recall going to a few seminars and such on church growth and function having different perspectives, pronouncements, some even had diagnosis and charts, about what was wrong with “today’s� Evangelical churches, with Evangelicals representing the “Church�, don’t they all, and of course solutions, some of which included products for sale. Looking beyond my empty pockets and from the readings I could see themes and all of them were very human even the one’s belonging to the “Spirit� or the results of “spiritual gifts�.

There are the birds of a feather method where you try and worship with like minded people based upon any friendship or interest and then they was they differences where you were not looking for others like you but everyone was some important part of the body of Christ.
Then there is the God with the big checkbook.

Mostly reactionary while we need to keep in mind it is highly doubtful Jesus gave any prescriptions and both Mark and the following gospels were later reflection showing their own concerns and not the times of Jesus, the same more so for Acts.
The gospels more likely represent more ideal then fact and wishes more then practice during the times of their productions.

Adstar
Under Probation

Re: Most effective means of evangelism?

Post #6

Post by Adstar »

QuietMan1980 wrote:This question is addressed toward Christians. What would you suggest is the best means of evangelism and spreading the gospel message?

I am looking for suggestions for what people view is the most effective means for sharing our faith in the current cultural climate.

Should we:
-Use social media?
-Distribute tracts?
-Engage people at work?
-Volunteer?

Believe it or not, I have heard some people object to some of the means that I have listed above, so I am looking for your opinions.
No matter what method we use we should always point them to the message of the Gospel. Because it is what moves those who are going to be saved to salvation.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Usward
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Usward »

What would you suggest is the best means of evangelism and spreading the gospel message?
Holy Kiss: Grace unto you, and peace,
from God our Father and the Lord JC.

As JC said God said: first get the beam (law) out of your eye to see better how to help others with their f-laws. So flush law as if "dung" would be suggestion #1. For where & when no law, there & then no f-law, nor blame game shame. People notice.

Grace does not force itself on others like Law does. Rather Grace waits to be asked, and when asked for wisdom neither finds fault nor upbraids; But rather provides awareness until people are "fully persuaded", not coerced nor fear mongered. So be not legalistic, but rather be grace us, would be suggestion #2. People notice.

Grace does not think evil to forbear or forgive, nor law impute sin for the hell of it; Because law also imputes unpardonable sin, and law also condemns accusers after using them to accuse others; Which is why that God in Christ does NOT law impute sin when reconciling, as noted in 2Cor 5:19. So stop law imputing sin for the hell of it would be suggestion #3. People notice.

Lastly, leave the teaching to the Holy Spirit, and just share what you've learned, which is hopefully where and when no law, there and then no f-law; So the end to endure unto, which is already written, is notably the end of the f-law, not of grace.

The GRACE of our Lord Jesus Christ [be/is] with you all. Amen.

riverslivnwtr
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by riverslivnwtr »

QuietMan1980 wrote:This question is addressed toward Christians. What would you suggest is the best means of evangelism and spreading the gospel message?

Should we:
-Use social media?
-Distribute tracts?
-Engage people at work?
-Volunteer?

Well as someone suggested sell all that thou hast, give, and take up thy cross and follow on after Jesus.. :lol:

This I have done some 22 years ago.. 8-)

What I got out of it was treasure from heaven..or wisdom directly from God. as it is promised from the bible..

The first hint of wisdom came in he form of a sentence..at the middle of the night when I was sleeping, came a word from the Lord..

He said...." The Lord gave the word , great was the company that published it..."

It sounded familiar so I looked in the bible and found it...Psalm 68:11.

The previous day, I was blocked in my driveway, but a marching parade ...it was then that I passed out all my tracts to the crowd as they passed by..

It was one of those Big ? tracts , which asks the question, " if you died right now would you go to heaven???

Then uses Romans 10: 9-10 to instruct the hearer to believe and make the confession to Christ..

But the United States is saturated with the gospel..so much that even some denominations are losing their own children back to the world, I hear.
but it's the world that needs the message of Jesus..and they need him in New Testament power described in Acts.

But since God gave me that word (Psalm 68:11), along with so many others which I call pearls , I have wanted to mass communicate the gospel to the whole world at one time....mainly because I have discovered certain things in the bible which contradict traditional Christian beliefs about prophecy.
8-)

Darias
Guru

Post #9

Post by Darias »

Tracts are probably the worst, absolute worst methods of conversion out there.

The tracts I grew up with are Chick Tracts, short comics which paint a very simplified, laughable, and borderline racist view of the world. It doesn't put Jews or gays in a very human light whatsoever. The devil is painted out to be some sort of bad guy in a superhero movie. And God is portrayed as heartless to any who aren't a Baptist upon death -- you can forget the salvation of Catholics.

Tracts like these do a few things:

1. For the most gullible and naive, it generates a fear-based conviction to avoid hell; and thus a "relationship with God" is established upon fear of doom, rather than on heart and mind. These people are probably among the first to leave the faith for obvious reasons.

2. For doubtful individuals it paints Christianity as a hateful and ignorant religion. Chick Tracts are an excellent argument against converting to Christianity.

So while they may be a subtle easy way of spreading your faith, you may want to think twice about the messages they contain and the effects they can create.

Engaging people at work?

This is a hit or miss. It might make people uncomfortable, especially if they are a Christian that doesn't agree with your worldview. The last thing people want to hear during their brief lunch-break is that they're going to hell unless they get saved the Baptist way.

Then again you might make some friends, who knows. But I don't think it's the best time or place for evangelism.

It might be more appropriate to invite them to your church.

Debate?

That might work, or it might not -- it really truly depends how knowledgeable the debater is, not only with scripture but with history and other religions. Obviously if an apologist is going to deny the reality of science and human rights of gay people, or suggest that other religions guarantee a hell-sentence -- they won't get many listeners and will be hard-pressed to defend their provocative and un-evidenced assertions.

Using social media?

Well it depends what the message is behind the media. You can put stuff on you-tube but kids are smart and they aren't just going to buy Christianity because its now "high-tech" and "cool."

You wanna know the best way to get people interested in what you believe? Back it up with action. Yes, volunteer, but don't do it to increase your church attendance or to convert African children or for other motives. Do good for the sake of doing good. That might make a few people think "I'll take what he's having." It might not, but at least it won't generate a negative perception of Christians or Christianity like most of the above do.

Of course, it doesn't mean that Christianity is the source of all truth, but if it can mimic what Christ actually did then the world would be a bit more better off. And, odds are, there may be a few more converts as a result.

I for one don't really think that what we believe matters as much as what we do; talk is cheap, belief is silent, but actions speak volumes.

Burninglight
Guru

Example

Post #10

Post by Burninglight »

I think gospel evangelism is spread best by example. IOW, truly walking the talk. People look at what we do more that what is said. We are constantly witnessing with our thoughts, words and our actions - ouch