Is Creationism infuenced by American history

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

QED
Prodigy

Is Creationism infuenced by American history

Post #1

Post by QED »

Scrotum wrote:I think one of the main reasons we have so many creationist in United States (it almost only exist there), is because of the lack of time conept americans seem to have. Do not missunderstand me now, i am not Bashing americans in that sense, it simple is that they think 100 years is aloot, so ofcourse 6000 years would be mind boggling for them, and millions of years cant be possible, no, we refuse to accept, wight?.
Legend has it that some American tourists visiting Buckingham Palace were overheard musing on why the Palace had been built so close to Heathrow airport (the flight lanes are pretty much overhead and rather spoil the stately plot). I'm not sure if this story is indeed true however I have seen claims that that the US has the oldest democracy in the world. Given that the Icelandic Althing dates from the year 930 and the English Parliament dates from 1265, I think such claims do betray a perspective of history that is quite different on other continents. Perhaps this might make a good topic for a new debate?

EDIT> This discussion got sparked-off in the Human Evolution debate where is was not particularly appropriate. Seeing as it drew a couple of follow-up replies I've split them off to this new topic.

There are some very broad generalisations being put about in what follows so I hope nobody takes their contribution to the discussion too seriously. However, it has been suggested before on these forums that the relatively short history of the United States might have an influence on the views of those Biblical Fundamentalists who hold to a young Earth as per Usher's chronology. So perhaps we could debate whether this might explain the predominance of this type of thinking in the US.
Last edited by QED on Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scrotum
Banned
Banned

Post #2

Post by Scrotum »

QED wrote:
Scrotum wrote:I think one of the main reasons we have so many creationist in United States (it almost only exist there), is because of the lack of time conept americans seem to have. Do not missunderstand me now, i am not Bashing americans in that sense, it simple is that they think 100 years is aloot, so ofcourse 6000 years would be mind boggling for them, and millions of years cant be possible, no, we refuse to accept, wight?.
Legend has it that some American tourists visiting Buckingham Palace were overheard musing on why the Palace had been built so close to Heathrow airport (the flight lanes are pretty much overhead and rather spoil the stately plot). I'm not sure if this story is indeed true however I have seen claims that that the US has the oldest democracy in the world. Given that the Icelandic Althing dates from the year 930 and the English Parliament dates from 1265, I think such claims do betray a perspective of history that is quite different on other continents. Perhaps this might make a good topic for a new debate?
Indeed it could be. But i suspect it would be accused for being "anti american" topic so to speak. As you well know, the Truth is rarely popular.

I heard "stories" about americans talking about the Evil Chinese, whom been Communist for thousands of years, this after seeing "Hero", pointing to the "tyrant" and so forth...... But this i guess could be related that most americans have no idea what communism actually is, they seem to like "Imagine" by John Lennon and "StarTrek" which is an american series. Anyhow, i think José sorta made his point on this topic.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Cathar1950 »

We Americans are sometimes ignorant. It might be Our freedoms get in the way of education and knowledge. I was Just reading about a Jewish democracy in the first century. Short live of course. We had native Americans tribes(Iriquios). we actually borrowed some of our ideas.
what is the joke? What do you call a person who speaks more then two languages: polylingual. What do you call a person who speaks two languages: Biligual. what do you call a person who only speaks one language: American.
Much of this may come from a market mentality.
Evolution is not always favorable.

Scrotum
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Scrotum »

We Americans are sometimes ignorant.

Sometimes? If you are an intelligent guy/girls you know very well the average american can be outwitted by a carrot.
It might be Our freedoms get in the way of education and knowledge.

Your not more "free" then the people in the European States. Less i would say, if you show aggression towards the state you are in grave danger in your country, whiles you can not onoly show malice, but pure spite in the European states (look at the muslims here).

So that comment dont go missy :)
I was Just reading about a Jewish democracy in the first century. Short live of course. We had native Americans tribes(Iriquios). we actually borrowed some of our ideas.
Dony get me statred on Democracy, is their any worse form of ruling then letting the sheep rule? I doubt it. Fortunately for you, the U.S is an oligarch, currently controlled by a man thinking hi is the chosen one, which makes it a Theocracy. I wonder where the concept of democracy came from to the americans, they seriously think they are one.

what is the joke? What do you call a person who speaks more then two languages:
Swedish :)
What do you call a person who speaks two languages:

Mexican?
what do you call a person who only speaks one language:

Americans hardly speak one language, but yeah, your right, Americans :)
Much of this may come from a market mentality.
Evolution is not always favorable
The U.S is only around because of the rest of the world use it as a Piggy Bank. Japan and EU owns United States economically.

The mentality? Where does it truly come from? Its ignorance we all know that. But why? Why have they chosen to be ignorant about everything? They are the bottle beck of Evolution, Americans and Muslims (i always say) is the reason we are stuck.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Cathar1950 »

Scrotum wrote:
So that comment dont go missy
Who you calling missy? LOL
I forgot to put in Bi-lingual? I should have had my carrot write the post..dam.
Dony get me statred on Democracy, is their any worse form of ruling then letting the sheep rule? I doubt it. Fortunately for you, the U.S is an oligarch, currently controlled by a man thinking hi is the chosen one, which makes it a Theocracy. I wonder where the concept of democracy came from to the americans, they seriously think they are one.
A corporate Oligary please. Otherwise you will find no argument here.
I think we are a republic run by corporate interest mostly.

Chimp
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Chimp »

a republic run by corporate interest
Properly called fascism, no?

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Cathar1950 »

If it walks like a duck...lol
Hitlers people came to work here.

Scrotum
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Scrotum »

If it walks like a duck...lol
Hitlers people came to work here.
Actually, your not off the mark here.

Contemporary United States looks quite similar to post war Germany. Even SS has it´s american counterparts (i think you call it Patriot Act). But most americans obviously cant see this, because they dont know about history. If i understood it correctly, american history more or less only speaks about the U.S, and even that is not very correct, rather, what they wished for.

Adolof manage to influence the German people with hatred against Jews for example. United States has its equal in "Middle Eastern People". And a strong added effect of Nationalism. Americans would die for their country, but could´nt answer the reason to why? The U.S is not better then any other Western European country for example, higher murder rates, poverty and so forth, so how come they think they are the "best" (which they/you do); Indoctrination.

Adolf did the same. The President of United States could start a watr with anyone, and the people would do nothing to stop it, because they think its right. Or even worse, to scarred to do anything. The current president has less then half the population on its side, i think its around 70 million in figures. What about the other 220 million americans?

It does not really matter, because they have become like a beaten dog. They continue to obey its master because thats what you do. However hard the master beats you, you still obey. Americans need education and learn to open their eyes. Listen to other people then themselves. Or even ask for help from civilized nations such as EU, Japan as example. Because its on its way to destroy the rest of the world with it. They would (mosyt likely will) start a WW3, and no american would do anything to stop it, because they are to weak and tragic to face responsobility.

And in all this, i wish to add, you could mention Creationism, people whom seriously believe that Terra is less then 6000 years old, even when they have clear proof anywhere they look, that its not. I think its 90+% that actually beliefs in a God in the States. Just imagine what could happen with proper education.

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by ST88 »

Chimp wrote:
No. I believe that would be called a plutocracy, which is very close to what we have in the U.S.

Since Creationism is not exactly an American concept, but has been most virulent here, it becomes necessary to examine how it got here. I think that Creationism has spread in America because:
1. It is associated with charismatic, apocalyptic religions that have high recruitment rates in the American marketplace of religious ideas.
2. Americans are convinced by science more easily than in other countries. So, combine science, then religion, and stir.
3. The predominant early religions of the North American continent (1600s) contained concepts of Creationism, which predated and largely resisted the Enlightenment in Europe.
4. Americans are fond of labeling things.

Scrotum
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Scrotum »

ST88 wrote:
Chimp wrote:
No. I believe that would be called a plutocracy, which is very close to what we have in the U.S.

Since Creationism is not exactly an American concept, but has been most virulent here, it becomes necessary to examine how it got here. I think that Creationism has spread in America because:
1. It is associated with charismatic, apocalyptic religions that have high recruitment rates in the American marketplace of religious ideas.
2. Americans are convinced by science more easily than in other countries. So, combine science, then religion, and stir.
3. The predominant early religions of the North American continent (1600s) contained concepts of Creationism, which predated and largely resisted the Enlightenment in Europe.
4. Americans are fond of labeling things.
Actually, is it not more likely (combined with your points), that poor education could claim the major role ?

Americans compared to ther Western States have one of the worst education in mathematics, geography and whatnot. Combine this with the "right" of parents to indoctrinate their children with anything they want, you got Creationism.

If you would indoctrinate your child as the U.S, in Sweden, the state would relieve you of responsibility of that child, and put it in care of people whom care. In the Scandinavian countries you see, the children have rights, and one of these rights (children do not have any rights in the U.S as you well know, refused to sign treaty) is that they should have the right to proper education.

I guess does countries (Scandinavia including Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark), must be pretty bad on the world chart right? nope, Number 1.... Strange.