Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

WARNING: DO NOT BUY/USE E15 GAS

Post #1

Post by Choir Loft »

AAA along with other consumer outlets has issued extreme warnings AGAINST using E15 gas.

This stuff will damage your fuel lines and engine so badly as to render the vehicle unusable. Most major manufacturers have issued statements that their warranties will not cover such damage.

Do not buy or use E15 gas.

Google it.

Another fine example of our government at work to screw us all..

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...
R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC
[June 21, 1788 - October 26, 2001]

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #11

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 9 by Divine Insight]

It wont destroy your engine to use it but it will lower your fuel economy and can clog up your fuel lines if you do use it, It is very important to do proper maintenance and clean your fuel lines. Really for your cars I wouldn't recommend it to much of a hassle and as it stand most gas stations only do a maximum of 10% anyways you probably would have to go out of your way
to find 15% atm. You would see a boost in power though :lol: using Ethanol in your fuel has a tendency to increase horsepower and torque. E85 can give you
a 10-20% increase in power vs gas =D

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Nickman »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 9 by Divine Insight]

It wont destroy your engine to use it but it will lower your fuel economy and can clog up your fuel lines if you do use it, It is very important to do proper maintenance and clean your fuel lines.
Alcohol will clog your fuel filters. It will also give you more gas economy.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #13

Post by Divine Insight »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 9 by Divine Insight]

It wont destroy your engine to use it but it will lower your fuel economy and can clog up your fuel lines if you do use it, It is very important to do proper maintenance and clean your fuel lines. Really for your cars I wouldn't recommend it to much of a hassle and as it stand most gas stations only do a maximum of 10% anyways you probably would have to go out of your way
to find 15% atm. You would see a boost in power though :lol: using Ethanol in your fuel has a tendency to increase horsepower and torque. E85 can give you
a 10-20% increase in power vs gas =D
I'm not planning on using it. I just wanted to make sure I can easily avoid it.

I don't do a lot of driving anyway. I only have two cars on the road for convenience. These cars are old and sometimes they do have a problem and need a repair. Having the second car to drive whilst I work on the one that's down is always nice. ;)

Fortunately they have both been running very well lately. It's also fun having two cars. I enjoy driving both them. It's just cool having two cars. I've actually been thinking about putting the Buick back on the road too. But I guess it would be really silly to have three cars on the road for one person who doesn't drive much. (ha ha)
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #14

[Replying to post 12 by Nickman]

I guess that depends on the engine then.

F-150 e85 vs gas

5.0L v8

Gas
City

Combined
Highway

E85
City
Combined

Nickman
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Nickman »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 12 by Nickman]

I guess that depends on the engine then.

F-150 e85 vs gas

5.0L v8

Gas
City

Combined
Highway

E85
City
Combined
Results may vary. Oops.
#-o

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #16

[Replying to post 15 by Nickman]

Just took a road trip to see my wife's grandmother and we found an E85 station exactly half way @ $2.78 a gallon 105 octane :D ran smooth as butter in our 2013 ford focus 2.0L its flex fuel so I was really happy to get a chance to take advantage of this feature hehehehe its like race fuel !!!! although I did notice a significant drop in our fuel economy I can usually average 43 MPG's on the highway and only got about 38 with the E85 but considering the cost in fuel savings it was well worth the drop in fuel economy.

amptramp
Student

Post #17

Post by amptramp »

I would think that some of the discussion would be about the diversion of corn crops to fuel. This is reminiscent of the "guns or butter" choices some countries have made.

If you look at the amount of energy required to plant, harvest and ferment the corn, it provides only about a factor of two in energy delivery compared to energy used. Petroleum typically provides a factor of 50 in terms of energy delivered to the customer compared to energy required for manufacturing. Ethanol is not the petroleum saver that its shills make it out to be.

Most cars react badly to having 15% much ethanol in the fuel - ethanol contains its own oxygen, so the stoichiometric mixture (the ratio of air to fuel required to burn completely with no air or fuel left over) goes down from the normal 14.7 for pure gasoline to some lower number. The electronic engine controls usually have a fuel trim range that is OK for 10% but runs lean at 15% and can damage the engine. There is also the issue of corrosion of fuel lines and injectors since the alcohol is hygroscopic (absorbs water). There is nothing saying that the alcohol remains mixed with the gasoline after it has been subjected to water absorption. If enough water gets in, the engine is left with gasoline that has no octane adders (the octane rating is roughly 73) and a load of dilute vodka in the bottom of the tank.

Maybe America needs an AAAAA - Automobile Association of America Alcoholics Anonymous - to counteract a government that drives you to drink.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by Goat »

amptramp wrote: I would think that some of the discussion would be about the diversion of corn crops to fuel. This is reminiscent of the "guns or butter" choices some countries have made.

If you look at the amount of energy required to plant, harvest and ferment the corn, it provides only about a factor of two in energy delivery compared to energy used. Petroleum typically provides a factor of 50 in terms of energy delivered to the customer compared to energy required for manufacturing. Ethanol is not the petroleum saver that its shills make it out to be.

Most cars react badly to having 15% much ethanol in the fuel - ethanol contains its own oxygen, so the stoichiometric mixture (the ratio of air to fuel required to burn completely with no air or fuel left over) goes down from the normal 14.7 for pure gasoline to some lower number. The electronic engine controls usually have a fuel trim range that is OK for 10% but runs lean at 15% and can damage the engine. There is also the issue of corrosion of fuel lines and injectors since the alcohol is hygroscopic (absorbs water). There is nothing saying that the alcohol remains mixed with the gasoline after it has been subjected to water absorption. If enough water gets in, the engine is left with gasoline that has no octane adders (the octane rating is roughly 73) and a load of dilute vodka in the bottom of the tank.

Maybe America needs an AAAAA - Automobile Association of America Alcoholics Anonymous - to counteract a government that drives you to drink.
A much better source of that could potentially be sucrose from genetically modified blue-green alga . This can be done with a low water profile, on land that you can't grow crops on

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/09/29/pro ... boo-birds/
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #19

[Replying to post 17 by amptramp]

I would concur that E-15 is not for everyone but I dont think Gas stations should be prevented from making it an option. people should just be aware of the pros and cons of any fuel the put in their cars.