Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

questioner4
Student

Patriotism Activists and Non-American Christians

Post #1

Post by questioner4 »

For Patriotism Activists:

1. Do you believe that Americans have to be patriotic to the US? If so, why?

2. Do you feel that it's okay for an American to prefer another country over the US? If not, why?

3. Do you feel that it's okay for an American to prefer the culture (music, movies, etc.) of another country over the US's culture? If not, why?

For Non-American Christians:

1. Do you feel that Christianity in the US is too Americanised?

2. Do you support the war in Iraq?

3. How high are abortion and same-sex marriages on you priority, when it comes to politics?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Patriotism Activists and Non-American Christians

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

questioner4 wrote:...For Non-American Christians:
  3. How high are abortion and same-sex marriages on you priority, when it comes to politics?
I will assume that you mean not a citizen of the USA by Non-American. I am, by any consistent definition of the word, an American. I live in North America. I am Canadian. Last time I checked, the USA is still only a portion of the two continents named America. Are not Europeans living in countries not part of the EU still correctly called Europeans?

These seem to be questions for discussion rather than for debate, given that you are focusing only on the Christians. Would you like this to be moved to the "Holy Huddle Room" which is the discussion forum for Christians only?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

questioner4
Student

Post #3

Post by questioner4 »

Yeah, I meant not a citizen of the US. I guess I should have said 'Yanks'. Anyway, the move would be fine. :)

keltzkroz
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by keltzkroz »

Sorry, I can't resist. You could also call them United States of American. Derived from the name of the state they come from, like New Yorker American? Perhaps Unitedites of America? LOL! No thanks. What else would you call them if not 'American'? I don't think 'yanks' would be able to get rid of the 800 pound gorilla either. Like that keyboard that was supposed to be better and replace the beloved QWERTY.

I believe they should be patriotic, even if they disagree or are not satisfied with the way the current administration is handling things. Part of being patriotic is to try and make things better for your country, such as voting, so you can have some input who will be running the show.

2. Do you feel that it's okay for an American to prefer another country over the US? If not, why?

I think it's ok. But then, if that is how they feel, then they should try to make it better or live in another country.

3. Do you feel that it's okay for an American to prefer the culture (music, movies, etc.) of another country over the US's culture? If not, why?

I think it's ok.

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #5

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

A post of mine from another thread of similar nature:

Is it possible to love your country too much?

You have seen them. The flag-toters. The "America can do no wrong" crowd. Their cars, houses, and clothes all decked out in red, white, and blue. Such people will agree with absolutely any policy the government applies, and anyone who disagrees is, quite frankly, an evil liberal.

Patriotism breeds nationalism, which breeds pride, arrogance, greed, violence, and selfishness. I feel that history backs up this statement. Can't just about every war in the history of humanity be at least partially attributed to nationalistic interests? You would be hard pressed to cite one that doesen't.

I reject the notion that a good citizen should sport an un-conditional love for their country. I hate America in a number of aspects. I consider this my civic duty, as a matter of fact. How may we ever progress as a country if we neglect to lobby for change, when the need for change becomes apparent?

The world is far from achieving the utopian idea of a united global state. And as long as we are stuck in the current condition of blind patriotism indifferent to the needs of others, the farther away this goal becomes.

When many countries compete, some countries will lose.

I do not want any losers.
I would urge everyone to support not merely the interests of ones own country, but the interests of every country, every person, in every corner of the planet. I believe that such a change of attitude is the first step towards peace.

It is human nature to compete. But it does not have to be this way. We have clearly evolved much since the first humans. God forbid we take advantage of these new capabilities and progress beyond our primitive ancestors.

It is hard to be patriotic and still retain a concern for the needs of other nations. Pride leaves no room for selflessness. It is for this reason that I refuse to be "patriotic". My devotion lies not in merely my own country, but for every nation collectively.

Nationalism is the bane of civilization. I feel it is best to asunder myself from any related notion, patriotism included.

ST88
Site Supporter

Re: Patriotism Activists and Non-American Christians

Post #6

Post by ST88 »

Hmmm. I don't know if I'm supposed to be answering these questions. What was your purpose in asking them?

I consider myself a U.S. patriot. But I'm not a gun-toting yahoo flying flags from the four corners of my car. For me just being able to advocate principles that exist in the U.S. Constitution is enough to be a patriot. If called upon, for example, to serve my country, I would. By the same token, I don't think I would volunteer for it (and haven't).

No. Part of the purpose of the Constitution is to address the needs of all citizens regardless of what floats their boat.

I'm not sure what this means: prefer another country. There are many people who choose to live in other countries yet remain U.S. citizens. Would I rather live somewhere else? Show me another place in the world where I can live five minutes from the ocean and still maintain my standard of living and I'm there. I can speak French a little if necessary. Actually, it would have to be a little better standard of living because it's such a pain in the bazeephus to move.

A lot of American culture is based on other cultures, so it would make sense that some people would prefer more of one particular culture than what we might refer to as the mainstream.

questioner4
Student

Post #7

Post by questioner4 »

I guess the reason why I've asked these questions - is because sometimes I feel that, as an American, we're pressured into being patriotic. Like, for instance, that's one of my issues with the Pledge of Allegiance. Some kids may resent being pressured into being patriotic. You see, I happen to prefer Canada over the US. I am really into Canadian music. I also wish we had things like Tim Horton's on this side of the border. You get more choices in Canada, than you do in the US. In Canada, you have Canadian retail and American retail to choose from. Here in the US, you only have American retail to choose from. Also, I wish I could just turn on the radio - and hear bands like The Tragically Hip, Blue Rodeo, Moist, The Tea Pary, Sloan, I Mother Earth, and so forth. I know some people who feel that Americans have to be patriotic, and that's what get's to me. Sometimes I wonder what they think about liking Canadian bands, and preferring Canada over the US.

I have I have one more question to ask: do you think it's possible to be patriotic and prefer another country at the same time?

Dilettante
Sage

Post #8

Post by Dilettante »

McCulloch wrote:
Last time I checked, the USA is still only a portion of the two continents named America. Are not Europeans living in countries not part of the EU still correctly called Europeans?
Very true. As a curiosity, I can't resist to add that in Spanish speaking cultures America has always been considered to be one single continent rather than two.
As for the EU, I completely agree, even though it's probably not the best analogy because the EU is not a nation or a state like the US is. I don't think "EU patriotism" is even a possibility. A common citizenship does not seem forthcoming, the linguistic and cultural differences are too marked, and the juggernaut European Constitution fortunately seems to have been sent to the wastepaper basket.

AlAyeti
Guru

Post #9

Post by AlAyeti »

For Patriotism Activists:

Yes. But this also includes craeting new American countries and peoples."

This is more important to me than the wobbling evidence of what has happened from the Consitution.

IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776
The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

I believe that will be seen happening again on the American continent known as the United States. And of course a lot of foreigners will be sending their kids to private Christian schools in the new and improved America acroos the border. Some things never change.

(for·eign·er (fôr-nr, fr-)
n.
1. One who is from a foreign country or place.
2. One who is from outside a particular group or community; an outsider.
)

When it becomes necessary to creat one.

Not when it is an afront and insult to existing within the "melting pot" offered to those that willingly come to America. Otherwise start yuor own country.
For Non-American Christians:

///

Interesting. Politics DOES revolve around only THREE issues with two dominating every politicians abilty to keep their job.

And there is no agenda?

When in the course of human events . . .

Vladd44
Sage

Post #10

Post by Vladd44 »

First and foremost, patriotism requires the ability to question your government. To blindly follow anything isnt looking out for its best interest. It is simply going with the flow.

I consider myself a patriot, but I dont fit into the mindset of those in power, or their supporters. But I see no need for anyone to have a loyalty to their nation. It is something that is earned either by people, or by ideas. SO preference has nothing to do with the topic for me.

But as an American Agnostic, I do think my country has developed an overreactive knee jerk response mechanism to loyalty. One that is unhealthy in my opinion. I think we should be apalled at our actions in Iraq and the Abortion issue + gays getting married dont rank at all. I am male and I guarantee you I will never have an abortion. And since I am not gay, I dont plan on marrying any men.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11
WinMX, BitTorrent and other p2p issues go to http://vladd44.com