The term "homosexual"

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Haven

The term "homosexual"

Post #1

Post by Haven »

During the past week, I have observed a number of people here using the word "homosexual" in reference to gay and lesbian people. Although some might not realize it, the term is considered offensive and demeaning to gay people. With the site's rule against cursing and offensive language, I find it surprising that such a term is allowed here. Would it be possible to put out a mod announcement clarifying that the term "homosexual(s)" in reference to a person / group of people isn't allowed? Thanks.

Nickman
Site Supporter

Re: The term "homosexual"

Post #31

Post by Nickman »

WinePusher wrote:
Haven wrote: During the past week, I have observed a number of people here using the word "homosexual" in reference to gay and lesbian people. Although some might not realize it, the term is considered offensive and demeaning to gay people. With the site's rule against cursing and offensive language, I find it surprising that such a term is allowed here. Would it be possible to put out a mod announcement clarifying that the term "homosexual(s)" in reference to a person / group of people isn't allowed? Thanks.
When I read this topic I found it quite absurd and disregarded it as just another crusade by the politically correct zealots. However, after thinking about it I do sympathize with the LGBT community. People should have the right to call themselves whatever they want. If a college wants to change its mascot to a different animal it should have every right to, if a person wants to change their name they should have every right to and if the LGBT community wants people to stop calling them homosexual and use a different word instead, we should respect that. People have the right to identify themselves with whatever word they want, and as a society we should have the decency to respect their desires.
Should we stop using heterosexual as well? What about straight? Should we disregard adjectives that identify sexuality?

UNBeliever905
Student

Post #32

Post by UNBeliever905 »

Haven wrote: Here's another article explaining why "homosexual" is a pejorative and uncivil term:

http://www.advocate.com/politics/media/ ... gbt-issues
[color=blueviolet]the article[/color] wrote:As Equality Matters reported this week, use of the term "homosexual" to refer to gay and lesbian people long ago fell out of favor with most mainstream news outlets, as "homosexual" is commonly used by opponents of LGBT equality — and rarely by advocates.

i dont want to put anybody down but this is honestly the most unfounded objection ive heard on the subject and thats from someone who would argue with anyone over gays being equal (and for fun friends often way better) to/than straight people. the term homo sexual isnt derogatory or pejorative in any sense what it is, is accurate. Homo meaning Same, Sexual meaning.....well i'll let you fill in the rest logically. Can you honestly tell me one GOOD reason this should be thought of this way?

help3434
Guru

Post #33

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 32 by UNBeliever905]

I think it is fine to use the term "homosexual" to describe the sexual orientation itself, but using the term to label a person is widely considered offensive.

Haven
Guru

Post #34

Post by Haven »

[color=darkred]help3434[/color] wrote: [Replying to post 32 by UNBeliever905]

I think it is fine to use the term "homosexual" to describe the sexual orientation itself, but using the term to label a person is widely considered offensive.
Exactly. It's completely different to say "this person has a homosexual orientation" and "this person is a homosexual." The first statement is fine, the second statement is derogatory.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by Goat »

Haven wrote:
[color=darkred]help3434[/color] wrote: [Replying to post 32 by UNBeliever905]

Exactly. It's completely different to say "this person has a homosexual orientation" and "this person is a homosexual." The first statement is fine, the second statement is derogatory.

Why complicate things? It never used to be derogatory, There is a creeping of langauge in terms. It used to be that going to that term was the neutral term that you used not to offend. I lived with a gay woman who I gave a living space to until she found her own place for about 6 months, and that was the self applied neutral term she , and her friends used. (that, gay , lesbian, and trans bi and queer where the terms used).

Why do you think the term is changing. It hasn't reached this area , at least up to a year ago around here.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

wiploc
Guru

Post #36

Post by wiploc »

Haven wrote: Although some might not realize it, the term is considered offensive and demeaning to gay people.
I'm skeptical.

[color=blueviolet]the article[/color] wrote:As Equality Matters reported this week, use of the term "homosexual" to refer to gay and lesbian people long ago fell out of favor with most mainstream news outlets, as "homosexual" is commonly used by opponents of LGBT equality — and rarely by advocates.
That's why I identify as an atheist rather than as, say a freethinker or agnostic. So many people think ill of the term that I wear it with pride. I want to redeem it.

But I've never had any notion that "homosexual" had negative connotations, except, of course, among homophobes, for whom "gay and/or lesbian" would be just as offensive but also more awkward.

Haven
Guru

Post #37

Post by Haven »

♥ Haven (she/her) ♥

bluethread
Savant

Post #38

Post by bluethread »

So, why is the term homophobic so commonly used by the "gender" crowd. Is this like to N word, it is offensive when used by one group of people and not when used by another?

wiploc
Guru

Post #39

Post by wiploc »

Thanks, that helps.

Haven
Guru

Post #40

Post by Haven »

[color=blue]bluethread[/color] wrote: So, why is the term homophobic so commonly used by the "gender" crowd. Is this like to N word, it is offensive when used by one group of people and not when used by another?
The term homophobic is used because it's decades old, and "homosexual" was the accepted term back then (just like "colored" for black at one point; that doesn't mean it's not offensive today). It can also refer to homosexuality, which is still an acceptable term.

Why do some want to call people "homosexuals" so badly? Why not just drop the term? It's the kind thing to do and it's not that hard.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥