Why Does Richard Carrier think that Jesus never existed?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

alwayson
Sage

Why Does Richard Carrier think that Jesus never existed?

Post #1

Post by alwayson »

Why does Columbia PhD in Ancient History, Richard Carrier, think that Jesus never existed?

neverknewyou
Apprentice

Re: Why Does Richard Carrier think that Jesus never existed?

Post #41

Post by neverknewyou »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #40]

The gospels are a theology made up of a hybrid of Jewish scripture and Greek mythology. Paul and the other epistle writers don't know one single thing about the gospel story, nothing about a Jesus from Nazareth, nor Mary, Joseph, Pilate, Galilee, none of that. Mark got the names of Peter, John and James from Paul's writings and recast them as disciples of Jesus. He portrays them as being daft and not understanding Jesus's message.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #42

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Tcg wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:11 am
The Nice Centurion wrote: ↑Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:48 pm

(The Bart Errorman sham "Did Jesus exist?" doesnt count.
Can you present anything beyond an obvious misspelling of the author's name what issues you have with this book? I know little about it, but don't think that a simple assertion that it doesn't count is very helpful.

Tcg
The misspelling is not mine.
After his book various websites and even youtube videos gave it to him and decided that it would stay for keeps.
This may be the best link about rhe webwar of Carrier and Errorman about his book:
https://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/1794
β€œIf you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry againπŸŸβ€

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

Tcg
Savant

Post #43

Post by Tcg »

The Nice Centurion wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:38 pm

Can you present anything beyond an obvious misspelling of the author's name what issues you have with this book? I know little about it, but don't think that a simple assertion that it doesn't count is very helpful.

Tcg
After his book various websites and even youtube videos gave it to him and decided that it would stay for keeps.
This may be the best link about rhe webwar of Carrier and Errorman about his book:
The repetition of the childish misspelling is indeed yours. In any case, I wasn't asking for a link, but rather if you could support your claim his book doesn't count. Your reply seems to answer the question.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #44

Tcg wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:09 pm
The Nice Centurion wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:38 pm

Tcg
The repetition of the childish misspelling is indeed yours. In any case, I wasn't asking for a link, but rather if you could support your claim his book doesn't count. Your reply seems to answer the question.

Tcg
Read the book !
β€œIf you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry againπŸŸβ€

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

neverknewyou
Apprentice

Post #45

Post by neverknewyou »

[Replying to Tcg in post #43]

I read Ehrmans book, Did Jesus Exist?, and I'm glad I paid only a couple of bucks for a used copy. Ehrmans sources for his claims are hypothetical, a complete disappointment. The revues were like 'ouch'.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #46

Post by Difflugia »

neverknewyou wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:48 pmI read Ehrmans book, Did Jesus Exist?, and I'm glad I paid only a couple of bucks for a used copy. Ehrmans sources for his claims are hypothetical, a complete disappointment. The revues were like 'ouch'.
I bought it and read it the day it was released. I was disappointed. I've read and enjoyed pretty much everything else he's written.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

neverknewyou
Apprentice

Post #47

Post by neverknewyou »

[Replying to Difflugia in post #46]

Yes, apparently he otherwise writes decent stuff but when it comes to the existence of Jesus, he abandons his senses.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #48

Tcg wrote: ↑Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:09 pm The repetition of the childish misspelling is indeed yours. In any case, I wasn't asking for a link, but rather if you could support your claim his book doesn't count. Your reply seems to answer the question.

Tcg
No misspelling here, and certainly not childish.
By nearer thought of it I accept this as his official new name. "Professor Errorman and his Students" has a good sound!

Please let the man carry his earned new name with pryde.

Tcg
Savant

Post #49

Post by Tcg »

The Nice Centurion wrote: ↑Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:09 am
Earlier you admitted it was a misspelling when you claimed, "The misspelling is not mine." Now you are claiming it isn't a misspelling. Regardless of this contradiction, the man's name is Bart Ehrman.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #50

Tcg wrote: ↑Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:25 am
The Nice Centurion wrote: ↑Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:09 am
Earlier you admitted it was a misspelling when you claimed, "The misspelling is not mine." Now you are claiming it isn't a misspelling.
No contradiction far and wide. I between posts gave nearer thougth on it and found the rightconclusion.
The Nice Centurion wrote: ↑Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:09 am By nearer thought of it I accept this as his official new name. "Professor Errorman and his Students" has a good sound!
Tcg wrote: ↑Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:25 am Regardless of this contradiction, the man's name is Bart Ehrman.

Tcg
Oh no, someone misspelled his name here!
He should be informed that some folks make the error of calling him Ehrman.