Why separate lockerrooms?

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

bluethread
Savant

Why separate lockerrooms?

Post #1

Post by bluethread »

A possible NFL draft pick came out this week. Some of the media have quickly pointed out that it is silly to presume that sexual preference should have any effect on a locker room environment. If that is the case, why do we have separate male and female locker rooms? Is this just another silly religious practice that has no place in civil society?

connermt
Banned
Banned

Re: Why separate lockerrooms?

Post #2

Post by connermt »

bluethread wrote: A possible NFL draft pick came out this week. Some of the media have quickly pointed out that it is silly to presume that sexual preference should have any effect on a locker room environment. If that is the case, why do we have separate male and female locker rooms? Is this just another silly religious practice that has no place in civil society?
If people wouldn't be so hung up (pun intended) on sexuality, it would be a non-issue. But silly religion had to go and ruin that too! :roll:

I think that women would feel uncomfortable with the obvious men in the locker room, not because of what they 'think' could happen, but what they "see" that could happen. Meaning, as visual creatures, our sight seems to have more of a chance of creating an immediate "fear" or "unconfrotable" factor than standing in the shower thinking about it.
It seems to be less of a "what if" and more of a "oh oh - there it is!" battle.
After all, both sexes have shared lockerrooms with people attracted to the same sex since lockerrooms were 'invented', even if they couldn't "see" it.

bluethread
Savant

Post #3

Post by bluethread »

connermt wrote:
bluethread wrote: A possible NFL draft pick came out this week. Some of the media have quickly pointed out that it is silly to presume that sexual preference should have any effect on a locker room environment. If that is the case, why do we have separate male and female locker rooms? Is this just another silly religious practice that has no place in civil society?
If people wouldn't be so hung up (pun intended) on sexuality, it would be a non-issue. But silly religion had to go and ruin that too! :roll:

I think that women would feel uncomfortable with the obvious men in the locker room, not because of what they 'think' could happen, but what they "see" that could happen. Meaning, as visual creatures, our sight seems to have more of a chance of creating an immediate "fear" or "unconfrotable" factor than standing in the shower thinking about it.
After all, both sexes have shared lockerrooms with people attracted to the same sex since lockerrooms were 'invented', even if they couldn't "see" it.
What do you mean by "oh oh - there it is!" Are you just talking about male anatomy or the male erection?

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Ooberman »

deleted
Last edited by Ooberman on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

Ooberman wrote: If bathrooms were designed by the religious, the women and childrens would have 2-way mirrors and holes for the religious to reach through and grope the occupants.
The mens rooms would have fun house mirrors making things look longer than they actually are.

:warning: Moderator Warning

Hi Ooberman,

Those are completely inappropriate comments on this website.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by connermt »

bluethread wrote:
connermt wrote:

What do you mean by "oh oh - there it is!" Are you just talking about male anatomy or the male erection?
See above bolded section.
I was referring to a more "out of sight out of mind" type of thinking.

jamesyaqub
Student

Post #7

Post by jamesyaqub »

[Replying to post 1 by bluethread]

We Americans are among the most prudish people on the planet. We live in fear of sexuality. Sin! Oh dear Lord.... save me from sin.

Get over it I say. None of this matters to the mature adult.

Strider324
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Strider324 »

I wonder how those crazy European and Scandinavian countries - you know, the ones with much lower incidences of sex crimes - have managed to have public bathrooms for decades that allow both sexes.

Americans are indeed one of the most sexually repressed cultures in the industrialized world, and we have more in common with the Taliban than we'd care to admit. ALL of this is a direct result of our Puritan past and a reflection of the patriarchal legacy of ancient Judaism that treated women as chattel. Christianity very much endorses this view of women, although most are careful to avoid the conversation with their wives. I assume it's because men realize that they must eventually fall asleep......
8-)

No, there is no logical reason for seperate locker rooms - unless one ascribes to the notion that a man observing a woman relieving herself must inflame him into sexual frenzy. Give me a break.
"Do Good for Good is Good to do. Spurn Bribe of Heaven and Threat of Hell"
- The Kasidah of Haji abdu al-Yezdi

jamesyaqub
Student

Post #9

Post by jamesyaqub »

Strider324 wrote: I wonder how those crazy European and Scandinavian countries - you know, the ones with much lower incidences of sex crimes - have managed to have public bathrooms for decades that allow both sexes.

Americans are indeed one of the most sexually repressed cultures in the industrialized world, and we have more in common with the Taliban than we'd care to admit. ALL of this is a direct result of our Puritan past and a reflection of the patriarchal legacy of ancient Judaism that treated women as chattel. Christianity very much endorses this view of women, although most are careful to avoid the conversation with their wives. I assume it's because men realize that they must eventually fall asleep......
8-)

No, there is no logical reason for seperate locker rooms - unless one ascribes to the notion that a man observing a woman relieving herself must inflame him into sexual frenzy. Give me a break.

And don't forget the community, naked sauna baths either. Oh Lord save us from this temptation.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Ooberman »

Most people who ask "why not unisex changing rooms" are usually in it for the voyeurism.

I wouldn't want same-sex locker rooms, because I don't want to give ALL THIS (waving my hands over my body) away for free to the Laadies.

And, I'm sure they appreciate it.
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees